Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Four)

Macca, as far as I know he's our only hope, there's a couple of other blokes, but they don't seem to have anything about them - whereas Rashid seems to have something about him. We know he's been through some bad patches, but with age he might come through?

Macca, as far as I know he's our only hope, there's a couple of other blokes, but they don't seem to have anything about them - whereas Rashid seems to have something about him. We know he's been through some bad patches, but with age he might come through?

You wouldn't need him often with Swann as the main spinner. On tour maybe, but they didn't bring him here this time.

Benaud made the call this morning, what O Rielly always said, every single team in Australia, including the national side, should play at least one legspinner if available, every match. Music to my hears. Hope lots of coaches and captains were watching him on tv today.

O Rielly always put legspinner with wicket keeper as absolute neccessity in all circumstances. You pick the best there is out there, he might not be grimmett, but he has to be the best available.

Looks like Hauritz will be back for Doherty at this point, I wouldn't fancy bowling any sort of spin to these england guys at the moment, probably a poison chalice, but Smith reckons he's ready and NSW has a long line of legspin heritage from Mailey to Macgill and Benaud to O' Rielly, Philpott and plenty of others.

Thank God there is no legspin being bowled during this historical batting performance. Man I am going to play this up big time . You know the kind of thing " should have picked a leggie" (even though he most likely would have got flogged as well), but you have to have a go and trust your system to produce someone who can bowl some legspin at these Englishmen(?)

You wouldn't need him often with Swann as the main spinner. On tour maybe, but they didn't bring him here this time.

Benaud made the call this morning, what O Rielly always said, every single team in Australia, including the national side, should play at least one legspinner if available, every match. Music to my hears. Hope lots of coaches and captains were watching him on tv today.

O Rielly always put legspinner with wicket keeper as absolute neccessity in all circumstances. You pick the best there is out there, he might not be grimmett, but he has to be the best available.

Looks like Hauritz will be back for Doherty at this point, I wouldn't fancy bowling any sort of spin to these england guys at the moment, probably a poison chalice, but Smith reckons he's ready and NSW has a long line of legspin heritage from Mailey to Macgill and Benaud to O' Rielly, Philpott and plenty of others.

Thank God there is no legspin being bowled during this historical batting performance. Man I am going to play this up big time . You know the kind of thing " should have picked a leggie" (even though he most likely would have got flogged as well), but you have to have a go and trust your system to produce someone who can bowl some legspin at these Englishmen(?)

That was agreat little segment before play this morning wasn't it. Even showed Grimmett bowling!! You could see the glint in Benaud and Warnes eyes as they talked about leg spin and watched old highlights!

Jonathan Agnew said today Warne said his bet about hauritz is off because a legspinner will play in Perth!

That was agreat little segment before play this morning wasn't it. Even showed Grimmett bowling!! You could see the glint in Benaud and Warnes eyes as they talked about leg spin and watched old highlights!

don't suppose anyone recorded that segment did they!

i was watching the cricket this morning (up to lunch), half asleep with the sound switched off. and i saw a clip of Warne coaching some young leggie. ive just had a look back at it on Sky+ to see who it was, and it was Scott Borthwick from Durham. im not sure why he was over there, maybe hes playing in Aus over the winter, but Warne was asked to have a look at him by David Saker the England bowling coach.

ive seen him play a lot on TV in county T20 matches, and he played a county game for Durham against Hampshire in Basingstoke (where i live) in the summer. i didnt get down there to see it, but one of my friends watched him for me to see what kind of turn he was getting and reckoned he looked ok (reassuringly for myself he reckoned i looked about as good on the same pitch though in a game we played there a few weeks earlier :D). ive heard quite a few people mention him as the next leg spinner for England, i cant remember who though, but i just remember reading it. hes still only 20, so i think there is a very good chance of him making it. hes more of a classic leg spinner than Rashid. also assuming that Swann is the number 1 spinner for 3-4 more years, that would work out better on timing for Borthwick. whereas Rashid is already starting to peak and i think hes going to get frustrated at not getting international matches, and that could hinder him.

Warne seemed to have very high opinions of Borthwick on the commentary when speaking about his little coaching session with him.

look out for that for us on ninemsn or whatever it's called, I think our coverage is different to yours so we're unlikely to see that.

Warne seemed to have very high opinions of Borthwick on the commentary when speaking about his little coaching session with him.

I think that's an Aussie plan - where they talk up our wanna-be leggies and send over Jenner to show them some basics and waffle on about all sorts of back-spinning variations to give them an impression that they're getting somewhere, they then chuck em a copy of wings to fly and tell them they're ready to spin for England. Anything - just as long as they're kept away from this forum thread!!!;)

I think that's an Aussie plan - where they talk up our wanna-be leggies and send over Jenner to show them some basics and waffle on about all sorts of back-spinning variations to give them an impression that they're getting somewhere, they then chuck em a copy of wings to fly and tell them they're ready to spin for England. Anything - just as long as they're kept away from this forum thread!!!;)

Jenner a double agent, employed by England to unearth legspin talent whilst secretly working for Australia to make sure any good young spinners in England never see the light of day.

The fake heart attack once his cover was blown, the doctored pictures on his website. We are on to you TJ !

No wonder he denies the existence of grimmetts other flippers. It is still a state secret!:)

Maybe they were filling in time but it seemed like it was a direct plea from old richie to pick a legspinner, any legspinner.

Thought we had 2 months to get ready for big game v 2nds. but now it will be washout round in 2 weeks.

Dunno if they have a spinner, i dont think so. Every game we play against them will be a trial of sorts. Bit of a bowl off for the fast bowlers at the club. More than enough good young quicks, but fortunately legspinners are rarer, so less competition.

haha sorry, i didnt mean to be so critical lol. a few of the leg breaks looked very good. one of the videos i noticed that you dropped a little short, and the wrong'uns are the wrong line, but youve only just acquired that delivery so pinpoint accuracy probably isnt high on the priority list at present. the backspinner length just jumped out at me straight away, and i know from experience how it gets punished if you drop it short. and since youre mid-season thats quite a relevant point, as you might use one of those deliveries in a match sometime soon. i still drag mine short quite a lot if i get the delivery all wrong, but as long as you aim to flight it youll get it somewhere close when it comes out right.

i dont know if those white circles on the pitch are markers, or just leaves or marks on the ground, but it looks like landing the ball in and around those marks is probably about the right length for your bowling. when you land it there on a leg stump line and turn it past off stump that is going to cause batsmen no end of trouble.

can you upload one of the videos in realtime instead of slow motion? would be interesting to get an idea of your pace from a batsmans perspective. i quite like the behind-the-stumps video angle, its not something ive done with my own bowling yet. next time im up the nets il have a camera behind the stumps as well getting a batsmans perspective. i might even get a batsman to wear one on his helmet, that would be even better!!!

Heres a video of me bowling in realtime as you suggested. Unfortunately I aimed the camera too low to get an idea of the flight. The flat ball on the pitch is at 9 feet, 2.7m from the stumps. I reckon pitching 11-12 feet from the stumps is good for me but I seem to always land a few feet short of my target so I moved my target forward to 9 feet so I dont drop short so often.
The video is pretty indicitive of my level of accuracy at the moment probably about 50% good balls.
http://www.youtube.com/user/1chippyben?feature=mhum

Heres a video of me bowling in realtime as you suggested. Unfortunately I aimed the camera too low to get an idea of the flight. The flat ball on the pitch is at 9 feet, 2.7m from the stumps. I reckon pitching 11-12 feet from the stumps is good for me but I seem to always land a few feet short of my target so I moved my target forward to 9 feet so I dont drop short so often.
The video is pretty indicitive of my level of accuracy at the moment probably about 50% good balls.

your action is looking loads better. looks like pretty good pace on the ball as well. its coming along nicely!

Jeez chippyben that IS looking good. Do you play on turf much/always ?

Like i have to say to my kid from time to time, why bounce the ball on the way back to your mark? it's not flipping basketball ! you wouldn't do it in a game. take the time to spin some stuff at yourself, but dont drop the f****ing thing, that is so unpro.:)

i know film was rolling but i would make my kid steady himself a bit longer, at training, at top of mark and pick a target. But as long as you can switch the concentration on and off, whatever works. As long as there is a rythmn.

You can tell you have been bowling for years, even though you have been legin' it for about a year or so is it now? You wouldn't know it if you were facing you because the action looks like it is well lived in and not a novice.

Yeah looking at it again, I think you're doing the right thing with moving the target ball closer. Just get it so that you're able to bowl a length of your choice, so move it around during your practice sessions. I'm with Macca on this your action looks nice and smooth and well practiced. Good work.

I've finally got around to uploading a video of my action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTVI7cEI28

Have a look and see what you think of it.

looks a pretty good action. youve got one of the common issues in that your upper body rotates earlier than your lower body, and you dont rotate up onto your toes soon enough. the solution to that is to drive your hips through with your upper body so that your whole body works in unison. youre not bad for it though, there is only a slight lack of synchronisation there so it should be fairly easy to fix.

you also have quite a high bowling arm. not that this is a problem specifically, it works for lots of people. but you will probably find it easier to bowl with lots of overspin than with extra side spin or backspin, and this can sometimes be a hinderance. you lean to the left (again, a common issue) but this will probably correct itself if you fix your rotation as mentioned above. you will then come through a lot more upright, and your bowling arm will naturally drop down to the side a bit. if you struggle to turn the ball on less helpful surfaces then id say the above are probably the causes. its weird how the rotation of your body can have any effect on whether the ball turns or not, but all of us have witnessed it in our own bowling. you hook the action up and all of a sudden the ball turns around corners. it has to be to do with seam position and extra revs, but im yet to figure it out. by sorting my rotation (which is still a work in progress) i instantly went from turning the ball reasonably 10% of the time, to turning it big 80% of the time!!

Back