Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Hey Guys,

Another tarining update (if you're interested). Questions at the bottom if you aren't......

It's really clicking. I think I've passed the plateau I was previously on. Accuracy is getting better, and the spinning action is very much like the big flick I practice hand to hand now. Not, as before, "with all things happenning at different times".

Now I sorta snap my fingers, forearm and wrist at the point of delivery.......like, in "instantness" if not in action slapping the fingers (as in that annoying thing I did as a kid in the early nineties "Wicked ! Snap !"). At least from the elbow down everything is going into the action as I can get, with the right timing. (Body action and shoulder I might have to work on getting into the "snap !" more).

It really feels like I'm "putting it on the pitch" now, rather than just "lobbing a hand grenade in the general direction of the wicket". So I'm pretty stoked, although I think I still need to work more on all of action, spin and accuracy to be good, I'm starting to feel like real (if poor) bowler now. Humungous "to 2nd slip" drag-down wides are increasingly rare now, if nothing else and I "feel" like I have much more accuracy (even though it is probably, objectively, only marginally better).

I'm also working on bowling round the wicket, I figure I need a tactic against left-handers that I've practised a bit so am prepared to do if required (Dave ! I have learnt from your experience !), and this seems more natural than continuing to bowl over and aiming for what is normally "way down leg side". So I practice about 1/3 of my time now bowling round the wicket to an imaginary lefthander.

I've also gained another variation almost overnight. Once I got the leg spin "big flick" actually working (those good spells last week were this happenning, I have now realised and I now do it with every delivery) I found it incredibly easy to also bowl the "big-underspinning-leggie". The adjustment of the wrist feels really natural with the "karate chop" as I am a very "side" spinner in any case. I'm already almost as accurate with it as I am with my leggie and it spins more, in so far as I am able to judge it on reasonably uneven grass.

I also discovered that I can now vary my pace somewhat too. Before it was either fast or slow depending on the luck of the drawer at release and so the height it got (another reason for lousy accuracy). But I now find I can place it fairly accurately on the pitch in one of two speeds "slow and loopy" and "fast and flat". Again, I think I've been extraordinarily lucky in that (once I got the flick) this and the big leggie just seemed to come real natural. I just started thinking "this one fast" and bringing it round with a faster arm on a flat trajectory had as much accuracy as I had with my more natural slow and loopy action.

Anyway, now I'm practising 2/3rds leggie then maybe 1/6 big leggies and 1/6 top spinners (throwing the leggies and top spinners in occasionaly as they would be used in a normal over) and also varying speed occasionally (again as in a normal over... not overs and overs of fast, or slow)

Things have gone well. My copy of "the art of wrist-spin bowling" even arrived yesterday from amazon ! So I feel really encouraged for now........ no doubt the winter will raqin that out of me again at some point :->

Anyway........ the questions I've been thinking of........

1) The big/underspun leggie. Why isn't this our stock ball ? We're after big spin, and it has that. It seems to me to be very nearly as "easy" to bowl as the side spun leggie. Why doesn't the extra spin compensate for the extra bounce from the side or overspun leggie ?

Do you guys get wickets with your big leggies ? Or is there some drawback I am not currently aware of (but beknownst to all heavily-experienced leg spinners such as yourself) with using this as the stock leggie ?

Why NOT try it as a stock ball is what I am thinking ? Do you need the additional bounce from the side or overspun leggie to get the edges ? Even if you did, do you think that might be more effective as the 2 in 6 variation leggie rather than the 4 in 6 stock leggie ? Wouldn't the extra bounce work as a good surprise if the big leggie is the stock ball ?

2) Bowling round to left handers. First, I haven't got a googly. That only leaves me with straight and legspun balls for now. Given that, should I consider myself bowling at a left hander as (effectively) a normal (if big spinn ing) off-spinner facing a right hander and bowl accordingly ? Essentially pitching it outside off and of the line and length to clip the top of off if it spins, and catch the edge if it goes straight on and he's playing for spin ?

Is that a good way to think about that ? Or should I, in your opinion, approach it some other way ?

Hope all is just as good with your practice.......... and good luck Macca and Dave with the kids. Getting them to see the light and become a spinner in one case, and having the success in his upcoming matches to come over here as a spinner and terrorize the english one-day in the other.

Yours,

TGP

TheGreasyPole;370692 said:
Hey Guys,

Another tarining update (if you're interested). Questions at the bottom if you aren't......

It's really clicking. I think I've passed the plateau I was previously on. Accuracy is getting better, and the spinning action is very much like the big flick I practice hand to hand now. Not, as before, "with all things happenning at different times".

Now I sorta snap my fingers, forearm and wrist at the point of delivery.......like, in "instantness" if not in action slapping the fingers (as in that annoying thing I did as a kid in the early nineties "Wicked ! Snap !"). At least from the elbow down everything is going into the action as I can get, with the right timing. (Body action and shoulder I might have to work on getting into the "snap !" more).

It really feels like I'm "putting it on the pitch" now, rather than just "lobbing a hand grenade in the general direction of the wicket". So I'm pretty stoked, although I think I still need to work more on all of action, spin and accuracy to be good, I'm starting to feel like real (if poor) bowler now. Humungous "to 2nd slip" drag-down wides are increasingly rare now, if nothing else and I "feel" like I have much more accuracy (even though it is probably, objectively, only marginally better).

I'm also working on bowling round the wicket, I figure I need a tactic against left-handers that I've practised a bit so am prepared to do if required (Dave ! I have learnt from your experience !), and this seems more natural than continuing to bowl over and aiming for what is normally "way down leg side". So I practice about 1/3 of my time now bowling round the wicket to an imaginary lefthander.

I've also gained another variation almost overnight. Once I got the leg spin "big flick" actually working (those good spells last week were this happenning, I have now realised and I now do it with every delivery) I found it incredibly easy to also bowl the "big-underspinning-leggie". The adjustment of the wrist feels really natural with the "karate chop" as I am a very "side" spinner in any case. I'm already almost as accurate with it as I am with my leggie and it spins more, in so far as I am able to judge it on reasonably uneven grass.

I also discovered that I can now vary my pace somewhat too. Before it was either fast or slow depending on the luck of the drawer at release and so the height it got (another reason for lousy accuracy). But I now find I can place it fairly accurately on the pitch in one of two speeds "slow and loopy" and "fast and flat". Again, I think I've been extraordinarily lucky in that (once I got the flick) this and the big leggie just seemed to come real natural. I just started thinking "this one fast" and bringing it round with a faster arm on a flat trajectory had as much accuracy as I had with my more natural slow and loopy action.

Anyway, now I'm practising 2/3rds leggie then maybe 1/6 big leggies and 1/6 top spinners (throwing the leggies and top spinners in occasionaly as they would be used in a normal over) and also varying speed occasionally (again as in a normal over... not overs and overs of fast, or slow)

Things have gone well. My copy of "the art of wrist-spin bowling" even arrived yesterday from amazon ! So I feel really encouraged for now........ no doubt the winter will raqin that out of me again at some point :->

Anyway........ the questions I've been thinking of........

1) The big/underspun leggie. Why isn't this our stock ball ? We're after big spin, and it has that. It seems to me to be very nearly as "easy" to bowl as the side spun leggie. Why doesn't the extra spin compensate for the extra bounce from the side or overspun leggie ?

Do you guys get wickets with your big leggies ? Or is there some drawback I am not currently aware of (but beknownst to all heavily-experienced leg spinners such as yourself) with using this as the stock leggie ?

Why NOT try it as a stock ball is what I am thinking ? Do you need the additional bounce from the side or overspun leggie to get the edges ? Even if you did, do you think that might be more effective as the 2 in 6 variation leggie rather than the 4 in 6 stock leggie ? Wouldn't the extra bounce work as a good surprise if the big leggie is the stock ball ?

2) Bowling round to left handers. First, I haven't got a googly. That only leaves me with straight and legspun balls for now. Given that, should I consider myself bowling at a left hander as (effectively) a normal (if big spinn ing) off-spinner facing a right hander and bowl accordingly ? Essentially pitching it outside off and of the line and length to clip the top of off if it spins, and catch the edge if it goes straight on and he's playing for spin ?

Is that a good way to think about that ? Or should I, in your opinion, approach it some other way ?

Hope all is just as good with your practice.......... and good luck Macca and Dave with the kids. Getting them to see the light and become a spinner in one case, and having the success in his upcoming matches to come over here as a spinner and terrorize the english one-day in the other.

Yours,

TGP

Thanks mate. Actually if you read Philpott he explains why the big underspun leggie is not the ideal stock ball but he points out that on certain pitches it can be used a lot. He reckons Benaud bowled it almost half the time and sometimes he used it as his stock ball, but basically the stock ball most leggies use needs topspin or overspin to "gain" pace and generate faster side spin but the " backspinning topspinner" was equally as an important secret of australian legspin as the flipper was.

TGP, sounds like you're doing exceptionally well there, you're ahead of me with the Biggun as that still alludes me. I can rip the ball in ever way with a massive audibly snapping flick except for Leg Break mode, but I'll be working on it.

With regards using the Biggun as a stock ball that's a tactical decision and one I don't really see any real benefits too. A lot of batsmen are quite handy down their Leg Side so I'd imagine that if you were putting the ball down there frequently like that they'd soon catch on and begin to put it away. My Wrong Uns big and I've tried that with a Lefty and by the 3rd ball maybe even the 2nd ball he was on to it and putting the ball away for 4's but bowled to his off-side turning it away from the edge of the bat he was far more tentative. Someones got a quote at the end of their postings from Bradman that basically alludes to the fact that he felt that a ball turning away from the edge of the bat was the most challenging and difficult delivery he faced. You'd have to set the field in accordance to the delivery as well, it sounds as though it might work out if you surrounded the bat with close in fielders and varied the bounce and speed? I'd also imagine that your accuracy would need to be spot on as well. Work on it I reckon - get it 100% or as near as you can and try it out on someone in the future and see how it works out - you can always pitch on the stumps and revert to a different approach if it doesn't work.

Had another cricket game today a 50 overs one. First off we only had 9 people (including my self) so before the game even started we were 2 people down.

We lost the toss first up and were sent into bowl. The team got ripped apart with only 9 people out there but anyway i had a bowl around the 35 over mark. When i came up to bowl there was 1 guy on 100+ runs and the other one was a classic tonker he was on around 30 runs. I didn't really have any fielding options to do anything, i had 3 people covering the whole offside and 4 on the leg side. So i end up bowling only 3 overs because i was getting hammed in the gaps consistently. I was getting good spin just the batsmen were on the money today and they took me for around 10 runs an over. At the end they made 313 off 50 overs then we went into bat and made 156. The guys i was bowling to the guy 100+ he end up making 170 and the other one 70.

Anyway my question is what strategies or plans could i have used in this situation both batsmen were in and with limited fielders. Is there any?

My figure were
O M R W Econ
3 0 30 0 10.00

Current season Figures
Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR
-2---2---42---39---3---3/9--3/9-13--5.57--14

Sounds like you were doomed from the start what with the shortage of fielders and it sounds like they'd already found their groove and were batting with confidence. Difficult one to call. Macca might have some helpful comments as he's got more experience than the rest of us.

Not much to report on my sons bowling in his first game as he did not get a bowl . His team got thrashed before he got a chance to bowl.
The other team had two good spinners one was a legspinner with a real roundarm action and our kids just could not get bat to ball against him.

Mr_Cricket;370916 said:
Had another cricket game today a 50 overs one. First off we only had 9 people (including my self) so before the game even started we were 2 people down.

We lost the toss first up and were sent into bowl. The team got ripped apart with only 9 people out there but anyway i had a bowl around the 35 over mark. When i came up to bowl there was 1 guy on 100+ runs and the other one was a classic tonker he was on around 30 runs. I didn't really have any fielding options to do anything, i had 3 people covering the whole offside and 4 on the leg side. So i end up bowling only 3 overs because i was getting hammed in the gaps consistently. I was getting good spin just the batsmen were on the money today and they took me for around 10 runs an over. At the end they made 313 off 50 overs then we went into bat and made 156. The guys i was bowling to the guy 100+ he end up making 170 and the other one 70.

Anyway my question is what strategies or plans could i have used in this situation both batsmen were in and with limited fielders. Is there any?

My figure were
O M R W Econ
3 0 30 0 10.00

Current season Figures
Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR
-2---2---42---39---3---3/9--3/9-13--5.57--14

Maybe you could have put the extra fieldsman or maybe two extra fieldsman on the offside and bowl everything wide of off stump. That might be a bit negative but might give you some control temporarily.

First game finished yesterday. Picked up a nice 3/6 (3 wickets) from 6 overs. It poured the night before so the pitch was drenched and there was little to no turn. I had to very my pace and flight. First wicket was around the wicket to a left hander who mistimed a sweep shot. 2nd wicket was in my final over which was a quicker ball that kept low and bowled the batsman and the final wicket was the last ball of my spell where I tried to bowl a toppy and instead of bouncing it kept low and the batsman missed it. Fair to say they weren't the best side ever, but I was happy with the wickets.

Sean;371032 said:
First game finished yesterday. Picked up a nice 3/6 (3 wickets) from 6 overs. It poured the night before so the pitch was drenched and there was little to no turn. I had to very my pace and flight. First wicket was around the wicket to a left hander who mistimed a sweep shot. 2nd wicket was in my final over which was a quicker ball that kept low and bowled the batsman and the final wicket was the last ball of my spell where I tried to bowl a toppy and instead of bouncing it kept low and the batsman missed it. Fair to say they weren't the best side ever, but I was happy with the wickets.

Doesn't matter if they were the top order or the bare belly joes, take 3/6 and you have had a top day. Was that a turf or synthetic wicket Sean? That sounds like what goes on here with just the right amount of rain.

macca;371144 said:
Doesn't matter if they were the top order or the bare belly joes, take 3/6 and you have had a top day. Was that a turf or synthetic wicket Sean? That sounds like what goes on here with just the right amount of rain.

Synthetic (Astro turf or whatever it's called). Anyway, the green pitches with concrete underneath. I'm playing U17s atm.

Come on you Aussies! Where are ya - where's your bowling exploits - anyone going to be trying the Clarrie Grimmett Top Spinning Flipper this season?

Yeah it's a bit obscure. If you're not 18 you're probably advised not to try either as it puts massive amounts of strain on your muscles/tendons.

Do you have Leg Break variations - like one with more top-spin so that it dips, one with a lot of drift, a big turning leg break - stuff like that?

Haha not really. Can't say I know how to do variations of the legspinners. I just bowl the Normal leggie, flighted leggie, flatter leggie, wrong un and sometimes toppy. Sometimes I try and bowl the slider but it just slips out the front too easily and becomes a full toss.

They start school cricket today, friday, so we wont need to have a net the day before a game for a few weeks because they will get enough practise at school.
My kids been overpitching a bit the last week. Two reasons i reckon. We have tried to completely eliminate any short balls and also he has worked out that quite a few of the batsmen cant handle the ball pitched up to them but just about all of them can smash a short ball. A session bowling at targets usually sees him get his range again.
They had a trial game last night and he was the only kid to take a wicket in the hour and a half. If he gets a bowl over the next few weeks he will be up against some very good young batsmen, I just hope his team can get enough runs to bowl at.

My kids have their first indoor league match Friday night which'll be interesting, I haven't got a clue as to what kind of ball they'll be using, they seem to think it's going to be one of the dimpled plastic balls used in the Bola bowling machines - so quite heavy and hard. Other good news is that mid November they'll start Sunday morning training sessions and these are planned to be 3 hours long which is good with a 10.00am start and 1pm finish. So with the games and the training they'll hopefully show some improvement by the start of the season in April.

someblokecalleddave;371828 said:
My kids have their first indoor league match Friday night which'll be interesting, I haven't got a clue as to what kind of ball they'll be using, they seem to think it's going to be one of the dimpled plastic balls used in the Bola bowling machines - so quite heavy and hard. Other good news is that mid November they'll start Sunday morning training sessions and these are planned to be 3 hours long which is good with a 10.00am start and 1pm finish. So with the games and the training they'll hopefully show some improvement by the start of the season in April.

The ball they used at my kids indoor comp has a pronounced seam which can into your fingers and cause blisters at first if you really rip it. It is lighter than a normal cricket ball and it drifts big but does not hurry on with as much force and seems to come off the pitch slowly but can be hard for the batsman to time his shots to spin bowling. legspinners have to be accurate because of the strict wide laws. It can still sting a bit if you get hit with the ball too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back