Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling (Part Two)

How old are your kids? What are they like with the ball?

I've got a match starting tomorrow, hoping to bowl first and take a couple of wickets. It's a two week match.

How does a two week match work?

My kids are 8 and 11. They go through phases of enthusiasm with their cricket, when they practice they're not too bad at bowling but they're like me with the bat - pretty useless. They play Terrier cricket which is like a game I think you have over there in Aus - 20 overs, everyone bowls except the WK and everyone has two overs and the scoring starts on 200 runs, they lose 8 runs if they're dismissed.

The younger one was pretty good at Leg-Spin when he was younger, but he seems to have lost it a bit in the last year and seems to be undecided as to whether he wants to be a fast bowler. When he tries he's good, but it's getting him to train enough to be consistently good that's the problem, cos I'm totally obsessed I can over-do it sometimes and put them off, so I have to be careful.

The eleven year old is the other way round, he's a good fast bowler who naturally without knowing how to do it gets the ball to swing away from the RH bat, but this summer has found that he too can bowl a pretty good leg break and is now dabbling with that.

They both fluctuate with their levels of interest and also get really miffed when they play bad, but then don't seem to see any value in practicing more in order to improve. They don't take a lot of notice of me with regards advice and they seem to learn more or are more likely to listen to their coaches at their cricket club, so I'm pleased that they've got 3 hours on a Sunday and that they're playing the ocassional Friday night league match.

Today I've said to them when they get in from school they need to practice their bowling to get warmed up for the match later in the evening. The chances of that happening are pretty slim, but you bet when they bowl later and it's a pile of crap they'll be miffed and wondering why they were crap!!!!

someblokecalleddave;371890 said:
How does a two week match work?

each team probably plays an innings each week. e.g. first week (maybe its played on a Saturday, for example) team A will bat whilst team B will bowl. theyll have a fixed number of overs, say 50. then they all go home.

the next Saturday the same 2 teams show up, same players id imagine as well. this time team B bats and team A bowls, for 50 overs. at the end of the day the team with the most runs wins lol.

it sounds like a much better way to play cricket, in UK summertime you could realistically play 120-150 overs/day if you started at 10am instead of the usual 2pm that club teams seem to go for. spread that over 2 days and it would be like a mini test match!! spin bowlers would get to have a proper spell as well, instead of the usual 3-6 overs in which you cant even get loose, let alone work to any proper plans

Yeah that sounds good for the likes of us and I'd be more than up for it, but in Bob Woolmers book there's an interesting thing that he points out that relates to the fitness of kids these days. Teenagers/youths these days are not quite the same animal they were 10 years ago let alone 20 or 30 years ago so even in the matches I play teenagers and youths - blokes up to their mid 20's run out of puff and stamina and can't take the pace of a 6 hour match, they can't keep focussed on the game and ultimately can't be bothered and their commitment to the game and the result is lame. So can you imagine these people playing in a match where there's 100 + overs. They're like those *** football players in the premiership - 90 minutes and they're shot. But then when you think as Bob Woolmer points out that most of them lead sedentary lives where they get driven from A to B by their parents and that their primary idea of sport is playing football or shoot em up games on an X Box, Nintendo DS or a PS3. Whereas the likes of me used to use my skateboard or bike as my means of transport, would think nothing of skateboarding form Tilbury to Romford and back again (14 miles each way) and spend 6 hours at the skatepark riding pools and bowls. Then at the weekend swim the Thames at Tilbury and the list goes on. Woolmer says something along the lines of 10 years ago the average class of 30 x 11 year olds in both South Africa and England would on average be able to do something like 4 pull ups now he says you'd be lucky to get 1 child in the class of 30 able to do 4!

So a 120 + overs match in the UK would probably be the end of cricket here in the UK. Woolmer has a gloomier prediction saying that withing the next 10 years he wouldn't be surprised that over-arm bowling would either be banished or the wickets shortened and boundaries brough in closer as they have done gradually over the last 100 years.

Steve Smith bowled his flipper at the west indians last night and they did not have a clue. At twenty this smith kid looks as good an allround cricketer as we have in nsw and his bowling just keeps getting better. He is the best leggie for his age i have seen since warnie. We are going to see alot of this bloke in the next decade.

Took 2/19 from 6 overs today. We bowled them out for 90. I didn't bowl too well.

First wicket I set the batsman up bowling wide a couple of times, then bowled him the wrong un which he had no clue. After that I tossed one up which he went after and dragged onto his stumps. Next one was a slog caught at mid on.

someblokecalleddave;371949 said:
Do you reckon we'll get to see him in the Ashes at all in 2011? What was his flipper like faster and skidding in low?

If he keeps improving he might make the next ashes series. They are fastracking Smith and Holland to take over from Hauritz eventually it seems. The flipper he bowled last night floated on faster and trapped the batsman plumb in front, the umpire gave it not out, but hawkeye had it hitting the top of middle, so it bounced more than he wanted . The slomo camera showed him imparting the backspin. I might watch the replay of the game tonight just to check it out again.

My son got his first bowl of the season this morning. 2/16 off 4 overs. He got first drop out stumped and later dismissed the leading run maker of the comp, caught at mid-on. Last week this kid got 50 not out and my young bloke dismissed him today for 40. so he has a batting average of 90 after today and leads the batting averages after round 2.

My son had to bowl with the wind, which does not suit him really. He was unlucky that they changed keeper half way through his spell because the second keeper missed an easy catch and a stumping as well.

talking about young bowlers are there any good wrist spinners around at the disrict clubs in the 1s to 4s

Legspin is my life;372156 said:
hi frnds i made another video plss see

YouTube - me bowling legspin pt 2

ive commented on your other thread. looks like a fairly solid basis to move forwards, there are some potential issues (run-up, follow through, leg movement, wrist movement) but if you can sort them out you should have a solid action. have a look at my post in the other thread for details...

The skip in the run-up might draw some comment. Nothing wrong with the first skip at the beginning. Afterall one of the greatest bowlers of all time, Clarrie Grimmett began his run in exactly the same as you do, with a little skip. The problem might be the second skip it could be upsetting your rythm and impeding your forward movement.
Grimmett taught young bowlers to count out their run-up out loud as they ran in and match their strides to their count. You have to count it out loud or else you tend to match the count to the stride which is the opposite of what you want. The beat should be steady and quickening as you get near delivery.
I am more interested in the results of your bowling than your technique because if the truth be known there is no "correct" way to bowl legspin. If what you do produces a good legbreak you are on the way.
I can name many great legspinners who were completely self taught and never coached in their youth. Aurthur Mailey, Clarrie Grimmett, Bill O Rielly , Kerry O Keefe, Terry Jenner. These guys worked it out for themselves and a few articles they found in magazines and newspapers. They were lone wolfs.
Coaches tried to change all of them when they hit the big smoke but these fellows changed very little from their teen years where they developed their extraordinary skills in isolation far away from any coaches.

Yeah I'm with Macca, one too many skips but as long as what's happening feels smooth and gets you putting the ball in the right places you're doing okay. I reckon in comparison with your earlier video where you were coming in from an angle there's been a big improvement, so it looks like it's coming together.

Try and lose the first skip maybe by just shortening the run up, work on that and see how it works out. Do you think it's made a difference yourself - have you noticed any improvements?

We had a good weekend really. On saturday my young bloke gets his first bowl of the season and now has the best bowling figures for his team according to the association website. And one of the batsman he dismissed is the current leading batsman in his division averaging 90. He reckons his first ball was his biggest spinner of the day from outside leg and bounced over off stump.
I was watching from side on and to me he appeared to be giving the ball way too much flight, it was heart in mouth stuff for me watching each ball looping upwards almost like i just bowled the ball myself. He has been overpitching slightly the last week and was a bit to full to start and got driven for four, 3 or 4 times, still better overpitching and getting the batsman to drive than being too short. but once he hit a good length the fun started and he was on top of the batsman every single ball.
The next day we went to a birthday party held at the indoor cricket centre where they play indoor cricket , soccer and beach volley ball as part of the party when I picked him up from the centre the bloke who runs it came up to me and reckons my kid spins the ball further than any kid he has seen. I have seen him literally almost turn it square on the indoor surface so i know what he means.

Macca, how old is your son? He must be atleast 15 if he's playing people who average 90.

Sean;372248 said:
Macca, how old is your son? He must be atleast 15 if he's playing people who average 90.

He is only 11 and plays in u/12. The kid averaging 90 scored 50 not out retired in round 1 ( automatic retiring when they reach 50 but they can come back out if the rest get out before the overs are up) then this week he was 40 when he got out to my young bloke and is leading the u/12 averages on the association website at 90. This kid hit the ball harder than anyone my kid has come up against including a one handed 6 off our quicks. It was the extra bounce of the legspinning ball that got him out in the end and gave him his initial average for the season.

macca;372236 said:
We had a good weekend really. On saturday my young bloke gets his first bowl of the season and now has the best bowling figures for his team according to the association website. And one of the batsman he dismissed is the current leading batsman in his division averaging 90. He reckons his first ball was his biggest spinner of the day from outside leg and bounced over off stump.
I was watching from side on and to me he appeared to be giving the ball way too much flight, it was heart in mouth stuff for me watching each ball looping upwards almost like i just bowled the ball myself. He has been overpitching slightly the last week and was a bit to full to start and got driven for four, 3 or 4 times, still better overpitching and getting the batsman to drive than being too short. but once he hit a good length the fun started and he was on top of the batsman every single ball.
The next day we went to a birthday party held at the indoor cricket centre where they play indoor cricket , soccer and beach volley ball as part of the party when I picked him up from the centre the bloke who runs it came up to me and reckons my kid spins the ball further than any kid he has seen. I have seen him literally almost turn it square on the indoor surface so i know what he means.

Sounds like he's doing exceptionally well, let's hope he keeps at it and we see him in the Ashes in another 12-14 years! It's good to know that some kids are so committed (And their Dads) I'm slightly envious as my kids seem to be distracted by all sorts of other things, every now and then I think it might be that you live in the outback, but I know you don't - you live in a big suburban area, so your son is subject to the same distractions as my kids, your son obviously really loves his cricket. Do all his mates play cricket?

someblokecalleddave;372399 said:
Sounds like he's doing exceptionally well, let's hope he keeps at it and we see him in the Ashes in another 12-14 years! It's good to know that some kids are so committed (And their Dads) I'm slightly envious as my kids seem to be distracted by all sorts of other things, every now and then I think it might be that you live in the outback, but I know you don't - you live in a big suburban area, so your son is subject to the same distractions as my kids, your son obviously really loves his cricket. Do all his mates play cricket?

Were not carried away yet, last year he started exactly the same, bowling the best kid in the comp behind his legs even, but ended up usually too short and down leg all season trying to repeat his first performance.

He was trying to bowl the warne line where he needed to bowl at off stump but i just let him do what he wanted and we only changed the line he bowled at the end of last year. Whole new approach this year if he strays it is off side and overpitching, the opposite of last year.

All his mates play cricket but nowhere near as much as we did as kids I am old enough to remember before we got tv in our area and cricket was one of the main things we used to do to entertain ourselves even after tv came.

There is something about this kids action that reminds me of one of the great Indian spinners of the 60,s-70's. It might take me a bit to work it out. I have just worked out after three weeks this bloke in my sons team is the dead ringer for Graham Gooch at the crease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back