Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Basit770;313690 said:
Hi guys, I never knew there were two types of leg spin until recently :O

Top spinner and side spinner?

What is the difference between the two and how do you bowl each one and are they variations?

Thnks :)

All I know is that some pitches aren't conducive to side spin, which is a delivery aimed at spinning the ball with a sideways movement.

These pitches forced the bowlers to use more top spin in their deliveries so they would spit up at the batsmen, as the pitch wouldn't allow sidespin.

I don't know much, but that was SK Warnes rant the other day.

Is there a transcript of Warnes rant or is it on ninemsn or something like that? It's an interesting point that even Warne concedes that he can't get the ball to turn on some wickets. The wickets I play on here in the UK are more often than not like that and I know that when I practice on green grass I can get the ball to turn a country mile and then used to get really disillusioned at the fact that when it mattered e.g. in a match the ball wouldn't bloody turn! It goes back to that story about the old geezer bowling straight and accurately at the off-stump using different lengths, speeds, loopier and with less or more top spin. Just keeping it basic like that he bowled phenomenally. So there's merit in having a good accurate top-spinner.

Uh I think it was when he was commentating, so unless you have match footage I doubt it. It was in reference to Nathan Hauritz I think.

I think he also explained how to bowl with more top spin, to get more turn on top spin conducing wickets.

Sorry I don't know the exact details guys, I'm pretty sure it was in the Boxing Day Test match somewhere in there.

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look at those.

I'm eighteen, so that's probably not really a factor.

About the variations: I was referring to the totally side-spun delivery when I said side-spinner: the one where the seam is facing the sides of the pitch. The seam looks(from the batsman's, and bowler's view) like this O before it pitches.

With the top spinner I was referring to the totally over-spun delivery: the one where the seam is vertical, and facing the batsmen. The seam looks(from the batsman's, and bowlers view's) like this || before it pitches, and when it does it just goes straight on.

And I was referring to the 45 degree leg-break when I said the half side-spin, half top-spin leg break: the one where the seam points towards slip.

About the slider: my understanding is that it is just a back-spinner released out of the front of the hand. Instead of flicking your wrist around to put side-spin on the ball, you flick backwards to put backspin on the ball.

About the video: I'm afraid I don't have a proper video camera; I could try doing one on the digital photography camera, which can take short movies; but I don't know what the quality would be like.

I take an interest in this thread, as even though I'm a pace bowler, I would love to bowl wrist spin, and when I practice I always give myself 15 minutes of spin bowling, just to see how I go.

I went to the nets with my mate the other day, and turned it on. He is a Rep batsman and I was even troubling him (something which my pace bowling doesn't do). I've got a pretty good and hard to pick wrongun, which on some pitches turns more than my leg spinner, and that day I even got the flipper working.

I can out and out say, that at local level, the flipper is easily more dangerous than a Wrong'un. The only trouble is that I can't replicate that day, and normally my leg spinners are all over the place, and my wrong'uns pitch in the right spot but don't turn on some synthetic pitches.

All I can say is from my little to none experience, a good flipper can and will be dangerous, but as many have said before, get your stock leg break going. I'm hoping that I can add leg spin to my arsenal, and if the team needs a spinner to get a batsman out, I can perform that role.

From now on I will be taking part in this discussion a lot more. Any advanced tips would be handy, at the moment, I have all the basics, I just need to practice to get it right.

wow very intersting point about side spin and the extra topspinlegbreak, i myself bowl side spin showing the full face of the ball at the batmans, which i think gets more fast turn,drift, curve and can easily b turned into the slider at a late point.

but thanks for the info as if my stock ball doesnt turn in the future i know tht ill hav to go to more of a top spin leggie which i bowl buh only as another variation to my stock ball in games.

and edge of willow i reckon tht ur dragging the ball because u might b trying to hard...
let the ball flick out of ur hand at 11-10 o clock using ur wrist and fingers together and it should come out as a rippin towards leg leggie.

i respectfully disagree with breeno as i dnt believe the flipper is the variation to get wickets at local level maybe thts jus the bowl breeno bowls best, i prefer the slider as it loops, drifts just like a legbreak and because the batsman is lookin for the turn, when it doesnt and goes str8 on comes as a shock and catches them offguard, whilst the flipper also catches them offguard its alot easier to bowl the flipper short and then your goin for 4's n 6's even tho the flipper should at some stage be bowled.

breeno tell me why u belive the flipper is bettr to be bowled mayb i myt b persuaded lol:D

I love the Flipper but probably rely on it too much and bowl it too often because I haven't really got a ball that turns towards slips and the flipper is the only one that does slightly. So once you've used a couple of times the bats see it coming in nice and straight and are ready for it.

Breeno - yeah you just need to practice and get it all working nice and smooth and accurate. I don't know how advanced the thread could get with advice. I don't think there's anyone on here that would put their hand up and say "Hey you blokes - I'm an expert - this is what you're doing wrong". I'm not sure what they'd say anyway? If you look on my blog there's a link to Terry Jenners blog and to be honest it's dull and hardly what you'd call exciting or helpful. I reckon between us all, with the use of the video clips we all find, Peter Philpotts book and the advice of some of the better general cricket players on here we don't do so bad.

I like the flipper as when you pitch it on the right line and length it's unplayable, especially as mine has a wrong'un tinge to it. Many a time I have used it just practicing around with mates to catch them off guard and plum LBW.

If you don't use it too much it is a powerful weapon, if you do it right and don't use it often, it is deadly. The slider I believe isn't so good as some people don't play for the turn, and if your turning it massive amounts, they will happily let the ball beat their bat, ensuring that anything on the stumps isn't a slider or zooter. If they are a fan of leaving the ball however, then the slider is deadly.

Right Handed, and yeah I experiment with all different types of flippers. The one that feels best for me is a flipper that only slightly turns into a RH batsman. Ill get a ball and work out where I have the seam and that.

Index Finger and Thumb running along the seam feels comfortabke for me dave, I think my flipper slighltly comes out the back of my hand with the same effect as a normal flipper.

Weirder and weirder still. I bowl my Flipper in the way that Warne demonstrates it at the Wacca in that video clip with Mark wossisface. But I also bowl a really weird variation which I call 'The Gipper' which is still lke the flipper in that it's clicked out of the fingers in the way that Warne demonstrates (And Jenner) but I deliver it with my arm and wrist twisted anti-clockwise as far as I can get it so that it's flicked out of my hand in a Googlie position hence the Googlie/Flipper = Gipper. But that turns massively towards slips like a Big Leg Break when I get it right. I'll have to photograph it or video it or something to show you the action.

The Glipper sounds like a good variation.

My uncle who was a pretty good cricketer used to bowl his own variation called "The Tripper".

It was like a flipper, but would bounce steeplingly and turn sharply any way he wanted to, I to this day still don't know how he bowls this.

my flipper stays low and goes str8 on and i agree if it does come out the hand perfectly its near unplayable.

sumtyms the flipper can turn into a small leggie or googly if you have the seam of the ball pointing towards slip or legslip, which must mean u guys bowl different variations of the same ball. As when i bowl the seam stays str8 like a slider but using like a clicking motion with ur hand so its comes out differently.

maybe its worth learning all variations of the flipper, another wepon in a never ending armory of a leg spinner lol

my friend was bowlin a type of leggie to me the other day n i wonder if i should add it to my variations...
he holds the ball wiv the orthadox grip yet wen he brings he's hand over the ball comes out of the side of he's hand much like a fast bolwers leg cutter but bowled with much more revs and flight, can any1 tell me more about this bowl or is this just my friends unique style? it doesnt get as much turn as a big leggie buh turns nt tht badly and it hard to pick becasue fo the scrambled seam, and he also bowls googly scrambled seam which i showed him tht i use sumtyms. any info on tht would b valuable so i can let him no :)

I've been looking at the potential of bowling the flipper but with the palm of your hand facing the bat, so as your arm comes over your spare fingers are all pointing upwards and your palm faces the bat too and then you flick it. It's dead awkward and I reckon it'd take ages to get it sussed but indoors just mucking about with it over short distances it turns good towards leg slip like an off-break. I reckon like you Uncle you could come up with loads of variations of the flipper if you had the time, patience and determination - it's such a weird ball. In Philpotts book he's got pictures of Clarrie Grimmet who I think may have invented it and his grip for the flipper is nothing like Warnes.

someblokecalleddave;314231 said:
I've been looking at the potential of bowling the flipper but with the palm of your hand facing the bat, so as your arm comes over your spare fingers are all pointing upwards and your palm faces the bat too and then you flick it. It's dead awkward and I reckon it'd take ages to get it sussed but indoors just mucking about with it over short distances it turns good towards leg slip like an off-break. I reckon like you Uncle you could come up with loads of variations of the flipper if you had the time, patience and determination - it's such a weird ball. In Philpotts book he's got pictures of Clarrie Grimmet who I think may have invented it and his grip for the flipper is nothing like Warnes.

thts variation does sound awkward dave i bet it takes a long time to master, buh would also be useful, bet it puts alot of strain on the fingers

The variation dave was talking about, I can't bowl without chucking, with a tennis ball it's deadly though.

Yeah you're right about the chucking aspect, but as with all these things it gets there with practice. I've just been looking at that david freedman/beau casson clip again, this time looking at his hand position - I gotta get out there soon and start bowling because I can see what I'm not doing right, I reckon I'll get the leg break by mid summer if not sooner. I'm off now it's midnight here in the England and I gotta go to work tomorrow.

Yes, I had noticed the potential for variation in the flipper; I haven't really bowled it, as I've been concentrating on the leg break. When I finally get around to learning it, I will probably go for one that turns towards the right hander's stumps slightly, as the seam of that delivery would be pointing towards the slips, which would help disguise it, because it's position is the similar to the half top-spin, half side-spin leg break.

i went to the nets to bowl today and at first i was 100% focused and hit the line and length consistantly with a gd amount of turn both ways, after bowling for a while my focus was taking a knock and this showed it my bowling as i was pulling them short and sumtyms wide.

im wondering is there anything i can do to improve the length i focus for be4 a training session so i can bowl continuously for a long amount of tym or is this jus my mind sayin thts enough for today.

because if im playing an all day match and ive been in the field all day concentrating 100% then i get thrown the ball for the last 2 overs to pick up the wicket, i want to make sure if im in tht sort of situation i will still have the focus required to bowl at my best and nt at 50%.

do you guys have trouble keeping 100% focus or does focus come with experience because im 17 and only started playing in adults team last season maybe i just need more experience at all dayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back