Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

How many overs do you play in your all dayers?

With regards the focussing in general games, I notice that loads of the blokes in my own team fade through the 50 overs that we play. I suppose it's a case of how serious you take your sport and how competitive you are as a person? If it's sport - any sport or game that involves physical and mental attributes I'm there to win and this really Miffs some people off "You get carried away - it's only a game Dave" etc and I'm saying under my breath 'it's not ONLY a game - it's life and death and I'm gonna win'! So I don't really have the problem - it might come with maturity as well. The only thing is when you're as passionate about winning as I am - you get the ache with the others that are not putting their all in to winning, so you have to watch that otherwise you can get really miffed with the rest of the team.

Another factor is where you live if it's here in the UK if we're lucky the temp might get up to 32 in the shade whereas if you're in India or Australia standing around in the sun in much higher temps must sap your energy and affect your concentration?

With bowling it's a case of concentrating and focusing fully. If you're getting let down by the fact that you're not physically up to it you either need to train more or recognise that maybe you're only good for x amount of overs? If it's a mental thing again similarly you either somehow mentally prepare for it or you concede that you're not up for it. With the mental aspect of the game I think that can be improved with practice and you might want to ask the same question in the fitness and nutrition section of the forum and Dave and Liz will probably give you a more in depth answer? But I'd say the mental part of the game comes about through supreme confidence in what you do. So it comes back to focusing on the key aspect of what you do e.g. be able to bowl the Leg Break and have total control of it line and length, speed, dip and drift and that's only going to come after shed loads of practice.

Does anyone know what kind of hours someone like Warne or Stuart McGill or any international spinner puts in for practice?

yea we do 50 overs each.
i only live in hertfordshire england so weather is nt usually blistering hot in summer more lyk mild lol
i do focus 100% on each ball talking over in my head tht this ball is going to come to me, yet wen the day goes on and around 40 overs my mind gets alittle tired and that part of the game which is very important ill have to improve on but i believe with more games and high pressure moments i will develop my mental strength, as u said you get miffed wen other players start slacking, my personal favourite is day dreaming whilst in fine leg(ball hardly goes there in games ive been in) but ur rgiht i owe it to my team mates to pull my finger out and focus for the full amount of time, ... but other younger players in the team tend to slack off aswell like sitting down between balls etc.. i think wen ur alittle older and experienced it helps with focusing, and ill make sure this season ill set a gd example to the new younger players, thanks for ur input :)

Switch off between balls and have a trigger word which switches you on before the next ball is bowled, Dave or Liz would be able to give you the in depths.

breeno;314990 said:
Switch off between balls and have a trigger word which switches you on before the next ball is bowled, Dave or Liz would be able to give you the in depths.

oh gd idea :) thanks

Wrong uns two a penny - that's one on concrete in slippery conditions without trying. I dream about getting it to turn the other way - if I could just bowl a Leg Break little-un like the wrong un on the video clip I'd be happy!

But I can't help but bowl em!

Who's got any answers or opinions on this subject. I'm on the verge of getting back into some serious practice. My work hours have just changed in order that I can now get along to our teams nets on Thursday night, so it looks like every week now running up to the start of the season I'll have 2 hours there. Additionally every other weekend me and some mates have hired some school nets on Sundays for 2 hours and I might even be involved in some way with my sons nets on Sunday with their cricket team? All that plus anything I do on my own - so the prospects of some development look good.

I've just been reading back through my 'Googly Syndrome diary' http://thegooglysyndrome.blogspot.com/2008/09/diary.html
and noted some points I've made about 'Dip' .......

"I seem to have this problem where if I increase the speed the trajectory seems to be flatter and straighter, whereas if I watch Neil bowling his trajectory seems to be loopy like a slower ball, but with that sharp dip at the end and at a much faster rate than my balls. It’s something I need to see him doing as I’m not 100% sure about this. The same with the wizard – he bowls a lot faster than me – so what’s his flight trajectory like – does he get the dip? My perception is that if I bowl faster the flight of the ball is going to be below the eye-line of the batsman and therefore a lot easier to hit"?

If any of you out there are aware of the fact that you do get 'Dip' is it something you can see as you bowl and what is it you do that makes it dip? In the meantime I'll have a look to see what Philpott says in his book.

as far as i no dave, dip comes from spinning the ball with alot of revs and also having to spin the ball upwards so tht it gets above the eyeline then dips because of the revolutions put on the ball.

dip mainly comes from side spin and thts the big leggie, so maybe thts why its evading you?
but i also look at ur googly and you bowl the googly wiv abit of side spin and it does dip so thts good.
but thts my limited knowledge of it,hopes tht helps, thats how i get dip anyway. Also if u bowl flat lyk gundalf with a much faster speed, dip,drift and some turn get sacraficed so its important to spin up, but against gd batsmen sometimes bowling more flatter buh still spinning the ball up, but kumble didnt have much dip tbh he bowls simalar to gundalf and he didnt do tht bad lol

may i suggest to gundalf tht your run up is abit to quick for a spin bowler, you shud try walking then walk faster as you approach so your still accelerating but with the slower run up means more accurate bowls. but if it dont work just do whats natural dont force anything
hope tht helps...

Aah so you reckon my wrong un looks as though it's got a bit of dip? That's interesting. I might try and film my bowling this weekend and see what it looks like from the side. But in essence what you're saying though is mix it up, vary the speed, some faster that don't dip some slower that do and that might be the undoing of the bat? Yeah that damn Leg Break - I will get it - you see!

leggielaw;317550 said:
as far as i no dave, dip comes from spinning the ball with alot of revs and also having to spin the ball upwards so tht it gets above the eyeline then dips because of the revolutions put on the ball.

dip mainly comes from side spin and thts the big leggie, so maybe thts why its evading you?
but i also look at ur googly and you bowl the googly wiv abit of side spin and it does dip so thts good.
but thts my limited knowledge of it,hopes tht helps, thats how i get dip anyway.

Dip is related to over-spin, not to side-spin. Dip is caused by the magnus effect: it is the ball drifting downwards because of over-spin. If you want to get more dip bowl with more over-spin(in addition to making sure you give it a good rip, as the more revs the greater the effect will be).

Dave's googly would be dipping because it is partly over-spun, not because it is partly side-spun. Next time your bowling, bowl a side-spinning leg break, and then a top-spinner; the difference will be immediately apparent: the totally over-spun top-spinner will dip far more than the side-spinner.

Hi all, im a legspinner from NZ. I have a solid action and get good turn and bounce out of my leg-break and topspinner. i have decided to "relearn" my googly and the flipper but with my flipper i get no variation what so ever (its no quicker, it doesnt have reduced bounce). can anyone explain this for me.

The Edge Of Willow;317625 said:
Dip is related to over-spin, not to side-spin. Dip is caused by the magnus effect: it is the ball drifting downwards because of over-spin. If you want to get more dip bowl with more over-spin(in addition to making sure you give it a good rip, as the more revs the greater the effect will be).

Dave's googly would be dipping because it is partly over-spun, not because it is partly side-spun. Next time your bowling, bowl a side-spinning leg break, and then a top-spinner; the difference will be immediately apparent: the totally over-spun top-spinner will dip far more than the side-spinner.

im confused because my leg break which i tend to bowl is the big side spin leg break also over spun with alot of revs on the ball, yet it still gets alot of dip.

i agree with what your saying about the over spinning of the ball gets dip.
the top spinner is ment to get dip and gives less turn, and the side spinner get loads turn with less dip buh still gets dip. the magnus effect is also very interesting but even if the ball totally side spun i believe it can still get dip, buh obv nt as much as the downwards seam. is tht a gd summary?
i think we need a expert on dip lol:confused::confused:

Well I don't know whether side-spin has any effect on dip; it may have some, but even if it does over-spin has a much greater effect, so if Dave wants to get more dip the best way would be to bowl with more over-spin(though I think it is highly likely that Dave gets some dip at the moment, as from what I've read he usually bowls with quite a bit of over-spin).

I agree, we need an expert.

Almost Warne;317754 said:
Hi all, im a legspinner from NZ. I have a solid action and get good turn and bounce out of my leg-break and topspinner. i have decided to "relearn" my googly and the flipper but with my flipper i get no variation what so ever (its no quicker, it doesnt have reduced bounce). can anyone explain this for me.

Hello almost Warne nice to have you on here with us!

I've just had a fantastic net session see - http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2009/01/grays-nets-1.html
and during the session I was bowling flippers at my captain who's a Left arm Chinaman and far more productive bowler than me. The thing is he was really impressed with the flippers saying that mixed in with all the other deliveries he was finding them really difficult to play. He was saying that they were bouncing loads, I think the thing is with the flipper if you bowl them with more speed they come in really flat because of the reverse magnus affect e.g rather than dip they do the opposite. So from a bats point of view they look as though they're going bounce in a way that mirrors their in-coming characteristics whereas because they're spinning backwards as soon as they hit the deck they almost stall and in doing so pop up, so there's not a reduction in bounce more an increase.

The slower flighty types - really loopy would probably bounce less. If you flip a ball out of your hand flipper style across a short distance (3 metres) you can get it to come back at you rather than bounce forwards. This slow loopy affect looks as though it should bounce forwards in a way that mirrors the incoming action, but as soon as the ball hits the ground spinning backwards in this instance the bounce is nullified.

Hope that helps?

Hey thanks for the insight into the flipper someblokecalleddave. so iv been expecting something from the ball that isn't actually there. I was hoping to learn it so i had a ball that skidded low and either got the batsmen bowled or LBW. To achieve this should i be learning the slider instead?

Also someblokecalleddave i have been reading with interest that u have an inability to bowl and effective leg-break. I have been bowling leg-spin competitivly for a year now, when i stated out i could bowl amazing googly's (just naturally) but not leg-breaks. There were two things that helped me 1. iv actually been a keeper for the last 8 years and this allowed me to concentrate on leg-breaks at practise and bowl leg-spin as an after thought (i.e. there was no pressure on me to perform with my variations) and 2. Just spin a ball in your fingers 24/7 ( in your car, while eating dinner, while lying awake in bed) these are just suggestions, but hey they helped me, they might help u?

actually dave it will depend on how much backspin is on the ball, you can experiment with using a tennis ball and a cricket ball and you'll see the difference. The tennis ball because it has more backspin and grips better and will dig in and sit up, though the cricket ball should skid quite low as it won't grip anywhere near as much.

re my bowling: unfortunately at home I have to practice bowling pretty flat due to flighted balls going over my garage roof :(. i actually flight the ball a fair bit in matches and nets probablly to much sometimes. I don't need to flight it too much anyway as my release is guaranteed to be above the batsmans eyeline being 6ft 3.
The run up I know is still the main problem with my run up, walk in my bowling becomes to slow and with the run up if my balance is a little off my accuracy can go to pot, though the run up does help with my off break and quicker balls and the occasional bouncer.

dave those nets look brilliant i get cravings to bowl just looking at them lol, sadly my team are not doing indoor nets this season due to the clubs financial issues :( so im going to have to think of other ways to prepare for the season, but normal training begins in April so only a month or so to wait.

nice to hear tht ur variations of the flipper are coming along dave, i can only bowl the flipper tht stays low and goes str8 and none others, is it jus the position of the seam i have to move?

i just hope april comes sooner than it looks. meanwhile im caught up in my a levels with much work to do so practice doesnt get a look in some days even tho i would like to. as for now once a week wiv sum mates we go to some built in outdoor nets to practice fighting all conditions , i wish i had a garage lyk gundalf lol

yeah I like the idea of bowling into a garage as well, I've got one but it faces out sideways to the road so there's no chance of the 22 yards and a run up!

Warney, mate - I do that all the time, oranges, apples, blocks of wood, potatoes anything - spin, spin, spin all the time. It's the whole thing that's wrong somewhere, but more than anything the position of the hand as the balls released. But I will get it by the spring.

yeah I think its a mental thing with spinners we have to spin anything that is even remotely round, I like bowling at home into the garage though I can only use soft-ish balls though I doubt my neighbours would agree its good :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back