Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

someblokecalleddave;355125 said:
I reckon that's the most difficult one from my experience. And you're probably right because it looks like the palm of the hand coming over straight as with the leg-break. It's relatively easy over shorter distances and it breaks like an offie, of all the Flipper variations I think this is the one I've looked at the least partly because my Wrong Un is pretty solid. But on a more positive note all of the these variations I seem to have been able to pick up pretty quickly because unlike Grimmett I've got the fore-knowledge that they are possible and all they require is some committment and practice. That and the fact that when I roll em out it's against a club side and not the Poms!!!

This one doesn't have a name does it?
It would be hard to do, the concept is a bit like the slider. The other one where you turn it upside down and get a legbreak would be a good doosra for an offspinner but not much good for a legspinner dont you reckon?

macca;355128 said:
It would be hard to do, the concept is a bit like the slider. The other one where you turn it upside down and get a legbreak would be a good doosra for an offspinner but not much good for a legspinner dont you reckon?

Glad you've said that about turning the hand upside down and producing the Doosra because that was my thoughts exactly and on my Flipper page on the other blog I've suggested that perhaps this is how Murali puts the spin on the ball. I've said the same thing on youtube as well where I demonstrate it but everyone as far as I can recall (and I no longer look at the comments on youtube) said that I was talking out of my a**e. I think I had it out on here with someone called 'schwabtoclarkson' and they also got quite upset at my questions and suggestions if I remember rightly, but I also remember I was a bit mixed up as to how Murali bowls. But yeah you're right and this is the stuff that Grimmett was exploring back in 1929-1930. The man was a genius.

Yeah and you're right about it's potential for a Right Arm Leg-spinner because in order to bowl it you have to turn the wrist form an inwards position like Murali does.

someblokecalleddave;355126 said:
Macca did you have a look at the link to my blog and look at those stats I posted up as it appears that I'm possibly (stats wise) currently the best bowler in the club?

Have a look - Wrist Spin Bowling: Stat Wars what do you reckon?

Mate, you are way ahead on those figures even without seeing the number of overs bowled. If you kept that up you could end up playing for Essex!
I wouldn't worry about runs per over, you have to get the other bastards out and back in the f****ing sheds. That is how you keep the runs down and win games.
Who wants to play or watch cricket when the scoring rate is below 4 runs an over?

Oh that's good then, I'll try and keep doing what I'm doing and learning as I go along. I'm expecting it to be different this Saturday slightly because it is league cricket and they'll be looking to get runs on the scoreboard. So that'll be interesting as it suggests they'll be playing in a far more aggressive manner and looking to dominate over my bowling - which might mean more wickets for me?

someblokecalleddave;355130 said:

It looks as though there is straightening of the arm. Would it be deemed a no ball. I stated before, that when I try to bowl the 'mystery ball I get the impression that I straighten the elbow, I presume it would automatically be called a no ball.

Boycott called to legalise the doosra, which the video seems to show, and he stated that there is no way it can be bowled without elbow straightening. I think , Murali is the only one that can bowl it without any straightening, as he can get excess flexion and extension at the wrist ie he is a 'freak' with hypermobile joints. Apparently he can nearly dislocate the shoulder when bowling.

someblokecalleddave;355132 said:
Oh that's good then, I'll try and keep doing what I'm doing and learning as I go along. I'm expecting it to be different this Saturday slightly because it is league cricket and they'll be looking to get runs on the scoreboard. So that'll be interesting as it suggests they'll be playing in a far more aggressive manner and looking to dominate over my bowling - which might mean more wickets for me?

Was reading grimmetts book and he states that the legspinner should always be attacking the batsman, if he has confidence that he can get ball after ball at the length he wants. Sounds really simple.

Macca in his book grimmett also shows him with his wrist straight and then in hyperextension, and the delivery seems to be for a seamer rather than a leg break. Unfortunately I do not have the book here, and so have no idea which plate it is.

sadspinner;355135 said:
Was reading grimmetts book and he states that the legspinner should always be attacking the batsman, if he has confidence that he can get ball after ball at the length he wants. Sounds really simple.

Yeah I think that I'm on board with the idea that you attack. Any ball that is heading for the stumps causes them to have to make decisions about what they're going to do and then they make mistakes. If you bowl a variety of different ways I'm finding that as long as it's all on the off-stump they're lost at club level as to what they should do. If they dig in and just keep defending their wicket as the bloke did on Sunday a stale mate then seems to occur and I tried to break it bowling legside which is what he wanted as that was his strong side and I conceded a lot more runs than I needed to trying to figure out how to get at him. I honestly don't think that I've come up against a good batsman yet and I reckon a good LH bat such as our 1st XI captain would cause me all sorts of problems. But yes - attack! Attack! Attack! I say.

Talking of doing lots of practise . Sometimes you don't notice your improvement until you have a few days off and when you bowl next time you think, "wow, I am better than i thought."
But if you have too much time off you get rusty and the next time you bowl you think "bloody hell, I've gone backwards."

sadspinner;355134 said:
It looks as though there is straightening of the arm. Would it be deemed a no ball. I stated before, that when I try to bowl the 'mystery ball I get the impression that I straighten the elbow, I presume it would automatically be called a no ball.

Boycott called to legalise the doosra, which the video seems to show, and he stated that there is no way it can be bowled without elbow straightening. I think , Murali is the only one that can bowl it without any straightening, as he can get excess flexion and extension at the wrist ie he is a 'freak' with hypermobile joints. Apparently he can nearly dislocate the shoulder when bowling.

Yes, I feel like when I try two of grimmetts " flippers", the overspinner and that doosra, that you could easily stray into no-ball territory. I get that with all offspin deliveries even though i can bowl pretty good off-breaks.
But the backspinning flipper and what they used to call the " flipper-offbreak" which is the upside down Grimmett "doosra" wont be a problem for the legspinner because they seem very closely related to legbreak family balls as far as wrist position at release.

macca;355141 said:
Talking of doing lots of practise . Sometimes you don't notice your improvement until you have a few days off and when you bowl next time you think, "wow, I am better than i thought."
But if you have too much time off you get rusty and the next time you bowl you think "bloody hell, I've gone backwards."

Funilly enough I seem to go backwards, if say I practice for 3 consecutive days. Dave as well seemed to have bowled best when he could not practice due to his arm, but admittedly one would have done the hard miles before. And also stopping for a long time seems to put the neuromuscular co-ordination in tilt.

This is for legspinismylife...........

YouTube - legspin

I reckon some of the others on Big Cricket should have a look at this as well.

1. Your run in is too long and you're zig-zagging all over the place as you run in and then you look off balance as you deliver the ball.
2. The leading arm looks kind of superficial as though it's not being used to drive the delivery through the rotation.
3. The leg that should come up and round the leg you rotate looks weak through the action too.

I reckon you should look at the David Freedman video on youtube and examine that closely. Do the one step drills that are on there including the exaggerated step over drill. Macca on Big Cricket told me at the start of my Leg Break recovery that this leg that lifts up and over should do so to the point where you actually kick your backside as the leg comes up over and round the pivoting leg.

macca;355144 said:
Yes, I feel like when I try two of grimmetts " flippers", the overspinner and that doosra, that you could easily stray into no-ball territory. I get that with all offspin deliveries even though i can bowl pretty good off-breaks.
But the backspinning flipper and what they used to call the " flipper-offbreak" which is the upside down Grimmett "doosra" wont be a problem for the legspinner because they seem very closely related to legbreak family balls as far as wrist position at release.

If you mean the warne/jenner flipper, I agree, straightening of the elbow is less of a problem. Funnily enough I bowl decent offbreaks, but as it is with you I suspect there is more than the allowed straightening there as well.

macca;355141 said:

I completely agree with that. I think that you can get into a rut where you do the same thing again and again and you get no-where and it takes a few days out from it or even longer to change the pattern of stagnation. When you come back to it I find that sometimes suddenly you make a massive step forwards.

someblokecalleddave;355145 said:
This is for legspinismylife...........

YouTube - legspin

I reckon some of the others on Big Cricket should have a look at this as well.

1. Your run in is too long and you're zig-zagging all over the place as you run in and then you look off balance as you deliver the ball.
2. The leading arm looks kind of superficial as though it's not being used to drive the delivery through the rotation.
3. The leg that should come up and round the leg you rotate looks weak through the action too.

I reckon you should look at the David Freedman video on youtube and examine that closely. Do the one step drills that are on there including the exaggerated step over drill. Macca on Big Cricket told me at the start of my Leg Break recovery that this leg that lifts up and over should do so to the point where you actually kick your backside as the leg comes up over and round the pivoting leg.
I think that might have been EOW or someone else with the kicking yourself in the arse aim. I get my young bloke to do it now after reading of it here. I did see an old bowling coach show the same thing years ago.
I agree with the three points dave raises on the clip.
I do see lots of potential there from legspinismylife. Combined with effective and concentrated practise he could have a big future. Finding a good coach can be hard but you have to be your own coach as a legspinner often at the start. A lone fox
Grimmett made a quote in 1970 where he says if you want to learn how to bowl legspin, "read my books ,it is all in there, it is just nobody has taken the time to read them".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back