Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

sadspinner;355153 said:
Here is beautiful drift from leg to off by Harbhajan. That would be tricky to play YouTube - Harbhajan Singh Incredible Drift and Spin v New Zealand

Yeah that's good! I like this blokes bowling - an Indian mate of mine used to bowl with the twirling arm action and he was good. I've tried it once or twice and it gives me a lot more pace and works well with my big turning Wrong Un.

macca;355156 said:
I think that might have EOW or someone with the kicking yourself in the arse aim. I get my young bloke to do it now after reading of it here. I did see an old bowling coach show the same thing years ago.
I agree with the three points dave raises on the clip.
I do see lots of potential there from legspinismylife. Combined with effective and concentrated practise he could have a big future. Finding a good coach can be hard but you have to be your own coach as a legspinner often at the start. A lone fox
Grimmett made a quote in 1970 where he says if you want to learn how to bowl legspin, "read my books ,it is all in there, it is just nobody has taken the time to read them".

Good old Clarrie - he was a shrewd business man as well! I could have sworn it was you Macca who suggested the arse kick technique!

sadspinner;355154 said:
I believe my action at the elbow would be something similar with the mystery ball. I think that should be no balled? YouTube - Johan Botha Chucking against Australia?

Hmm interesting - I see what you mean, I'm going to look at my clips now after seeing that.

Had a look mine looks okay. I reckon that when out of practice the Biggun may be contentious, but I ease into it and get better with practice.

The first part seems to be in super slow motion. Are offspinners no balled very frequently in your experience. I get fast good turn for offspin, but when the captain(a legspinner) saw me bowling it , he told me it looks like a no ball. He did not say anything about the leg spin deliveries, but as I had discussed with edge of willow, there is no straightening in leg spin so we are safe. YouTube - Johann Botha bowling

sadspinner;355162 said:
The first part seems to be in super slow motion. Are offspinners no balled very frequently in your experience. I get fast good turn for offspin, but when the captain(a legspinner) saw me bowling it , he told me it looks like a no ball. He did not say anything about the leg spin deliveries, but as I had discussed with edge of willow, there is no straightening in leg spin so we are safe. YouTube - Johann Botha bowling

No, it's rare that we have anyone no-balled for their action. None of our spinners have any issues with their off-spinners.

someblokecalleddave;354865 said:
I take it the strike rate is the amount of runs conceded between wickets so if everyone bowled with that same strike rate the score would be 137 all out? In which case I think all of the Sunday teams would be happy to chase that.

Nope. Strike rate is how many balls it takes you to get a wicket. Average is the amount of runs between wickets.

macca;355123 said:
Dave , do you muck around with the ball (flipper)that you get by rotating the wrist 90 degrees so the back of your hand faces you and your palm points down the wicket at the batsman.
This ball is an off break but looks similar to the legbreak from the batsmans pont of view. Grimmett describes it well in his books. You know the one.
Well that ball is the one Grimmett and Pepper both tried perfect as they saw it as probably the best way to use the "flipper" at first.

I'm off now - but I'll keep this post in mind as I'm on the field tomorrow with the kids ready for their game against my team Basildon & Pitsea CC V Grays & Chadwell CC. If I remember I'll give this a go over the full length and see what it's like as it is obviously useful if the bat recognises the Wrong Un what with it's dipping shoulder and out of the back of the hand release. I'll let you know how it goes.

breeno;354890 said:
Awesome stats mate, really good. I won my seniors teams bowling average with an average of 10.40, so you're definitely well on your way to a trophy, and it seems they have shown some confidence in you after your bags of four.

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated, I'm intrigued to see your progress.

Also, how did you get your wickets mainly?

Breeno, the secret just seems to be able to put the ball where I want it and have confidence in what I'm doing and be able to bowl a Leg Break and some of the variations. Another bloke who started playing a few weeks before me bowls Leg Breaks and really does turn the ball massively and bowls a lot faster than me but.... His accuracy is very poor and consequently bowls loads of wides and then he gets the yips and it just goes downhill from there.

I'd like to say that they were all round the back of the Legs a la Warne but with a ropey arm at the minute I can't actually bowl a ball that turns big and I rely on bowling a decent leg break on the off-stump that turns away from the bat and then mix that up with Flippers, Wrong Uns and Top Spinners - a variation about once every 5 balls or so. Most have been catches which to be honest have been balls that have strayed on to the Leg Stump or gone wide, so I'm noticing that if you bowl legside it tempts the bats into having a go and if the fielders are up to it as they have been I've been getting wickets that way. I'm only just now coming to realise that I have to go through a process of putting the balls in different areas to ascertain where their weaknesses and strengths are and then work around how they play around what you bowl. Once you've figured out where their strengths and weaknesses lay you bowl accordingly. Normally I've found that when they see that you've come on as a spinner they think that it's time to unleash some 4's and 6's and I'm probably helped by the fact that I can produced a good range of variations and I bowl my line and length and not just lob it up hoping that it'll land somewhere near where I want it. So I have been successful of late. Having said that - I'm not 100% sure that it's not just luck. If you want to follow my progress have a look at my blog Wrist Spin Bowling I'm currently updating last Sunday's match account.

someblokecalleddave;355145 said:
This is for legspinismylife...........

YouTube - legspin

I reckon some of the others on Big Cricket should have a look at this as well.

1. Your run in is too long and you're zig-zagging all over the place as you run in and then you look off balance as you deliver the ball.
I won't touch this as my knowledge of run ups is l rather lacking.

someblokecalleddave said:
2. The leading arm looks kind of superficial as though it's not being used to drive the delivery through the rotation.
Not so sure about this. He pulls his leading arm in quite quickly.

Still his action lacks drive, so it maybe be something to do with the front arm, as that is a principle source of drive.

someblokecalleddave said:
3. The leg that should come up and round the leg you rotate looks weak through the action too.
I agree with this.

He also seemed to stop looking to the left of his leading arm(bowlers view) in the middle of the action, but it is a too murky for me to conclusively tell if his action is straying into mixed territory. I would show it to Liz.

Good stuff Dave.

I'm hoping to work on my leggies, as we don't have a spinner at our club, it may give me the opportunity to get 5+ more overs than I normally would get.

When I'm on song, even though I practice spin probably, an hour every month during the season, I have the best junior bat at our club, and captain of the our regions rep side in trouble, as I've always had an uncanny knack of accuracy, and being able to bowl variations, without practice.

I was once bowling pace, and he smashed me everywhere. I bowled 12 balls of spin and got him LBW and caught behind at least 7 times. The trouble is getting the consistency, which I suppose, if I practice, I will get.

I will be watching with a keen eye on how you progress Dave. If any other guys wanna post their stats up, let me know.

Oh boy! Legspin bowling IS tough! It feels one step forward, two steps back. Getting the ball to spin consistently but dropping short, then overcompensate by throwing a full one, If I concentrate too much on getting the line and length, I just bowl topspinners -

But when it all comes through, it does so very nicely - I get some very nice drift into the leg and it breaks rapidly off the pitch.

I also notice that I get much more spin if I pause just before the delivery stride- I guess that helps in getting the pivot going. Although, I believe that I'm still not getting it right. Sometimes when I try to get the exaggerated pivot going, my right leg knocks the bails off the stumps, Perhaps I should start a little wider.

I was hoping to know the basics of run-up and follow through for legspinners to make sure I'm doing things right. What is the "kick yourself" training that you guys are talking about ?

Breeno in order to get where I am today it's taken me 3 years - admittedly working from a point where I'd never bowled a straight ball let alone one that turns. Up till I hurt my arm (Medial epicondylitis) I was practicing several hours a week. Last year on occasions I was practicing 4 hours a day in 2 x 2 hour stints during weekends and holidays. So I have put the time in to get where I am and I constantly analyse what I'm doing and what I need to do next to improve and I'm willing to take advice off anyone who has an idea that sounds as though it makes sense.

Being on this forum and the one that preceded it has been really useful and instrumental in my development but the hours on the field or in playgrounds or anywhere that's flat with a bucket of balls is where it all comes together.

With regards your run in and the movement through the crease I reckon that this is probably the best resource around - YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

The kick yourself in the arse thing was a suggestion made by someone last sept/oct time on here as far as I recall and it's to do with making sure you bring your following through leg up and around the pivoting leg. Admittedly I don't actually bring my leg up so high that my foot touches my arse but the idea got me thinking in terms of lifting the leg in a manner that was more dynamic - have a look at the clip and observe Beau Cassons drive through the crease and the amount of energy he puts into it.

And yes you're right it is hard this Wrist Spinning lark, but I think the rewards are there if you keep at it. Everyone says that young blokes give up on wrist spin so easily because you do need to prove yourself when it matters, I think you've only got to look at the Aussie's since Warne has retired and how much flak the Aussie spinners are getting in the wake of his success. It's taken me 3 years of constant practice - hours and hours on my own in playgrounds, fields, sports halls, net sessions to get to the stage I'm at now, but I had belief, enthusisam and the desire to be a Wrist Spinner. So yeah it is hard and you probably have to work at it more than any other discipline in cricket but once you get it - it is special. Don't give up even if it means you get dropped from being a part of the bowling attack of your team, just carry on and work at it on your own and present yourself to your captain the next season and show him how you've worked on your leg break and that you can now do it.

Yeah one last point if your struggling keep it simple just work with the leg-break. It's the leg break that underpins everything else that you do.

Shrek do you always have a ball with you? Are you always spinning it from hand to hand, or from hand to chest 24-7 almost? A Hockey ball is best as you can use them anywhere - concrete, grass everywhere. Every day at every opportunity I'm spinning a ball looking at my wrist and where it is in relation to the spin. It drives my wife round the bend.

macca;354838 said:
No wonder legspin bowling is on hard times if people think that going for a touch over 4 an over is a problem if you are consistently beating the top and middle order batsmen and picking up wickets as well. Hate to have you as my captain. If the rest of the attack had that strike rate they could all go for 4 an over and still win most games.

If it was a one-day comp then fair enough, four an over is okay but for longer formats of the game that is probably one run over what it should be.

someblokecalleddave;354860 said:
Cheers mate it appears that you've deciphered my figures into proper 'Cricket stats'? I take it the economy is the runs made against my bowling which I am aware of is possibly a bit high, but I reckon I may be able to address that a bit over the next few games. This is 40 over or timed matches again I'm not sure what the rules are with the timed matches.

Economy is runs conceded per over. Average is the average amount of runs conceded per wicket and strike rate is the amount of balls bowled in order to take a wicket. Your average is 13.71 so you are taking a wicket just a shade under every 2.2 overs.

shrek;354844 said:
Based on that experience, could you guess what speed your legbreak and/or the gipper(The one on youtube) are bowled at. Basically, I'm trying to estimate my speed. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a speed gun as we are a college team scrapping together for survival :)
I thought that club bowlers bowl much slower than the international ones and I speared in a few fast and flat legbreaks the other day in practice and the keeper guessed they would be -55-60 mph.

I'm also surprised that your wrongun is faster. My wronguns tend to be much slower than the legbreak, as they are more flighted. Is it better to speed it up a little ?

No way, there's not a chance you're bowling 60mph. That's 100 km/hr. No spinner can bowl at that pace and get the ball to turn a decent amount.

Dave,

I have checked the bowling video of "Leg spin is my life"...if u pause at 1:46 mins then u will see his whole body movement...
His lower body is not in line with his upper body...like his lower body is positioned for off spin and upper body for leg spin....the toes are pointing towards fine leg...which is wrong and should be pointing towards first slip at least.
Can u check and comment on the same...

Virender

It looks like I've been promoted, I'm playing in one of the league teams this Saturday albeit the 4th XI. It's with a bunch of blokes I've never even heard of let alone played alongside and as yet I can't figure out who the captain is. My mate 'The Wizard's' in the team so that'll be good to go head to head with him. So tonight for the first time in weeks I had a proper work out with the ball on my private wicket. Temporarily I've lost the Biggun but my standard Leg Breaks still there and it's nice and accurate. I bowled a handful of 'Flickers' and they came good and looked like they had swing but this time they were spinning away to the off-side like leg-breaks so there's obviously some subtle variation in the way that I'm releasing the ball. The other thing with the 'Flicker' is that as expected there did seem to be some dramatic dip, but how much it rushes on I'm not sure, but the good thing is that I was bowling them with a great deal of ease and they were accurate with regards the line and length - it looks like a good ball. My bog standard Flippers were swinging ludicrusly and I was having to aim them 2' - 2.5' wide of the off stump in order that they swung in and hit the stumps, but this isn't something I've been able to do in a real game with a newish ball and I suspect it has something to do also with the atmospherics as well? As for the Wrong Un - My God was they coming out good. I only bowled a couple big loopy flight with vicious dip but the coming in across the stumps in an amazing manner. So all in all a very promising practice session and the arm has held up okay with no soreness and that was a session where I must have bowled the equivalent of about 21 - 23 overs?

someblokecalleddave;355280 said:
With regards your run in and the movement through the crease I reckon that this is probably the best resource around - YouTube - David Freedman legspin coaching video

The kick yourself in the arse thing was a suggestion made by someone last sept/oct time on here as far as I recall and it's to do with making sure you bring your following through leg up and around the pivoting leg. Admittedly I don't actually bring my leg up so high that my foot touches my arse but the idea got me thinking in terms of lifting the leg in a manner that was more dynamic - have a look at the clip and observe Beau Cassons drive through the crease and the amount of energy he puts into it.

And yes you're right it is hard this Wrist Spinning lark, but I think the rewards are there if you keep at it. Everyone says that young blokes give up on wrist spin so easily because you do need to prove yourself when it matters, I think you've only got to look at the Aussie's since Warne has retired and how much flak the Aussie spinners are getting in the wake of his success. It's taken me 3 years of constant practice - hours and hours on my own in playgrounds, fields, sports halls, net sessions to get to the stage I'm at now, but I had belief, enthusisam and the desire to be a Wrist Spinner. So yeah it is hard and you probably have to work at it more than any other discipline in cricket but once you get it - it is special. Don't give up even if it means you get dropped from being a part of the bowling attack of your team, just carry on and work at it on your own and present yourself to your captain the next season and show him how you've worked on your leg break and that you can now do it.

Yeah one last point if your struggling keep it simple just work with the leg-break. It's the leg break that underpins everything else that you do.

Shrek do you always have a ball with you? Are you always spinning it from hand to hand, or from hand to chest 24-7 almost? A Hockey ball is best as you can use them anywhere - concrete, grass everywhere. Every day at every opportunity I'm spinning a ball looking at my wrist and where it is in relation to the spin. It drives my wife round the bend.

Thanks a lot for the freeman video. That is really helpful in understanding the basics. And you got that right about spinning the ball. I have one with me and I keep spinning it until I feel that too much skin has peeled off and I need time off to let the blister heal up on my ring finger.
About the variations - I am trying to bowl only legbreaks until I get decent control over both the spin and the flight. I do find it very easy to bowl the googly so I might throw in 1 or 2 wronguns in a session.

Dave, you know in your edition of Malletts bio of Grimmett does he give any references at the back of the book or any where else to the source of any quotes?
Does he mention Grimmett first bowling his flipper in Sydney 1n 1940? He got two wickets in a row with his first two flippers he ever bowled. Does Mallett give any reference for the stories source in your edition?
Good luck next game.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I've got to admit that I don't get the blistered finger thing so perhaps I'm not spinning the ball as hard as those that get blisters? Glad you saw the David Freedman video - I reckon it's one of the best resources on the internet.

macca;355009 said:
Dave, you know in your edition of Malletts bio of Grimmett does he give any references at the back of the book or any where else to the source of any quotes?
Does he mention Grimmett first bowling his flipper in Sydney 1n 1940? He got two wickets in a row with his first two flippers he ever bowled. Does Mallett give any reference for the stories source in your edition?
Good luck next game.

Yeah there's a shed load of references at the beginning of the book but no details as to what came from where. I could if you want photograph the page and send the photo to you in an email if you want?

I'll have a quick look through the book and see if I can find the Flipper story you refer to, but he never references the individual sources as far as I can see.

Virendersingh.berthwal;355283 said:
Dave,

I have checked the bowling video of "Leg spin is my life"...if u pause at 1:46 mins then u will see his whole body movement...
His lower body is not in line with his upper body...like his lower body is positioned for off spin and upper body for leg spin....the toes are pointing towards fine leg...which is wrong and should be pointing towards first slip at least.

Virender

Virender I'll have a look but you're getting way too technical for me!

I've just found a reference to the Wrong Wrong Un (The Gipper) and Mallett says that it wasn't until he was 76 that he was working on this which kind of supports my supposition that back in 1930 all the Flipper variations including the Bog Standard Flipper were still in there embryonic stages because back then in 'Taking Wickets' Grimmett says as I've quoted he could only get the ball so far up the wicket. Mallett says that when Grimmett was 76 and still working on the Wrong Wrong Un possibly 40 years or so later he could still only bowl it 10 yards up the wicket.

There's also a mention on the same page that O'reilly bowled a wrong wrong un in 1934 but he didn't know how it happened and seemingly never repeated it and there is certainly no evidence that it was produced using the Flipper technique to impart the spin? Who's read about O'reilly - did he have the Flipper?

someblokecalleddave;355314 said:
Sounds like you're on the right track. I've got to admit that I don't get the blistered finger thing so perhaps I'm not spinning the ball as hard as those that get blisters? Glad you saw the David Freedman video - I reckon it's one of the best resources on the internet.
maybe you have spun a callous on the spinning finger? The loose grip as used by Warne can be easier on your finger than the "hold it as tight as you can method" that used to be coached.

On page 153 in the tactics chapter Mallett quoting Grimmett explains that Grimmett just after WW1 used to use the Iverson technique with a tennis ball and was intrigued at the potential to spin the ball using the middle finger and thumb. It then says that it was the fact that once he then tried to apply the technique to a 5.5oz cricket ball he couldn't "However, it was the Iverson type of delivery which caused Clarrie to develop his famous Flipper". UNfortunately there's no reference to the date so it looks like we're stuck with 1929 - 1930 for the birth of the Flipper?

Macca I'm a loose holder of the ball and tonight I noticed that I vary the position that the ball sits in the fingers and tonight I was getting a load of turn off the wicket with a very high position in the fingers, so maybe I vary the position so much that I simply don't wear any part of the fingers enough to get blisters. The only time I ever noticed that the fingers were coming in for a bit of a pounding was back in Nov when I was trying to get over the Googly Syndrome. I went through a few sessions where I was really gripping the ball hard and really trying to rip it off the 3rd finger and I remember coming away from the session with a sore finger and feeling really satisfied as I realised it meant that I was getting somewhere.

Here we go..... Page 156 (Tactics) "The great opener Sid Barnes made it universally known that he could easily pick Grimmetts 'Mystery Ball' the Flipper.
'For 12 years I practiced this ball before I bowled it in a match. Let that be a lesson to a youngster! It proved to be my greatest ball. I called it my Flipper'."

Grimmett then refutes that he ever bowled it at Barnes in 1938 saying that the 1st time he bowled it was in 1940 (Benaud was there aged 10).

So that would suggest 1928?

someblokecalleddave;355145 said:
This is for legspinismylife...........

YouTube - legspin

I reckon some of the others on Big Cricket should have a look at this as well.

1. Your run in is too long and you're zig-zagging all over the place as you run in and then you look off balance as you deliver the ball.
2. The leading arm looks kind of superficial as though it's not being used to drive the delivery through the rotation.
3. The leg that should come up and round the leg you rotate looks weak through the action too.

I reckon you should look at the David Freedman video on youtube and examine that closely. Do the one step drills that are on there including the exaggerated step over drill. Macca on Big Cricket told me at the start of my Leg Break recovery that this leg that lifts up and over should do so to the point where you actually kick your backside as the leg comes up over and round the pivoting leg.

On reflection and from memory legspinismylife should maybe straighten his approach, still come in at an angle but straighter and closer to the stumps. And maybe the arm is too perpendicular for the legbreak and should be more roundarm.
But there is lots of potential in legspinismylife's bowling. Virender may have found one of his problems. Footwork. I would like to see another clip in 6 months once he makes a few changes because I reckon he will develop into a very good leg spin bowler.

someblokecalleddave;355013 said:
Here we go..... Page 156 (Tactics) "The great opener Sid Barnes made it universally known that he could easily pick Grimmetts 'Mystery Ball' the Flipper.
'For 12 years I practiced this ball before I bowled it in a match. Let that be a lesson to a youngster! It proved to be my greatest ball. I called it my Flipper'."

Grimmett then refutes that he ever bowled it at Barnes in 1938 saying that the 1st time he bowled it was in 1940 (Benaud was there aged 10).

So that would suggest 1928?

Grimmett only seems to value the backspinning flipper after Benauds success with it.And then tries to set the record straight in later life because Grimmett thought Benaud was taking all the credit for the flipper. Which is why I want to source the date of his flipper recollections.
Does Mallett mention the tapes Vic Grimmett made with his dad in 1977? If they are the source of the recollections that would explain a lot.Thanks for the help.

Virendersingh.berthwal;355283 said:
Dave,

Virender

Have a look at this - this is me YouTube - rotation analysis 001 My action through the crease isn't that good by all accounts and may have changed in the last couple of months since this, but I don't think it has? Look at how high the foot comes up behind me, almost doing the 'Arse kick' thing as that leg comes round the pivoting leg. I think generally there's a lot of people that say that it's essential that the leg that comes round has a good high step through action and coaches get learners to step over an object to reinforce this action. Try that and see how you get on? Don't try and do too many things at once. I'd look at this and straightening and shortening you run in - look at Shane Warne for instance 8 steps and it's only the last three where he picks up the pace to power through the crease.

No there's no mention of the interview on tape as far as I recall. But you've hit on a point with regards whether Grimmett is talking about the Flipper as a Top-Spinning ball or the usual back-spinning Flipper. If he describes the dismissal in that match where he first unleashes the Flipper and then accompanies that with the description of it being his greatest ball that would suggest that it's his much favoured Top-spinning Flipper the one Bradman calls 'The Flicker' and not the bog standard back-spinning Flipper a la' Warne, Jenner, Benuad et al? Which then kind of makes sense from the point of view that Benaud tries to claim the Flipper as his own and not Grimmetts as Grimmett sounds as though he may have discarded the back-spinner because perhaps he bowled the Slider instead? I know Philpott much prefers the slider and says that both Grimmett and Benaud bowled the Slider and also says that Benaud used his slider to the point where at times it was virtually his stock ball.

macca;355324 said:
On reflection and from memory legspinismylife should maybe straighten his approach, still come in at an angle but straighter and closer to the stumps. And maybe the arm is too perpendicular for the legbreak and should be more roundarm.
But there is lots of potential in legspinismylife's bowling. Virender may have found one of his problems. Footwork. I would like to see another clip in 6 months once he makes a few changes because I reckon he will develop into a very good leg spin bowler.

I don't think he looks bad either, looks very promising, just needs to tweak things here and there as suggested.

someblokecalleddave;355016 said:
No there's no mention of the interview on tape as far as I recall. But you've hit on a point with regards whether Grimmett is talking about the Flipper as a Top-Spinning ball or the usual back-spinning Flipper. If he describes the dismissal in that match where he first unleashes the Flipper and then accompanies that with the description of it being his greatest ball that would suggest that it's his much favoured Top-spinning Flipper the one Bradman calls 'The Flicker' and not the bog standard back-spinning Flipper a la' Warne, Jenner, Benuad et al? Which then kind of makes sense from the point of view that Benaud tries to claim the Flipper as his own and not Grimmetts as Grimmett sounds as though he may have discarded the back-spinner because perhaps he bowled the Slider instead? I know Philpott much prefers the slider and says that both Grimmett and Benaud bowled the Slider and also says that Benaud used his slider to the point where at times it was virtually his stock ball.

Grimmett doesn't seem to have bowled the backspinner slider like the one jenner demos. He new of its existence but never proscribes it or puts it in with the other leg break loop like philpott does for instance. He was dead set against backspin except as a very rare variation which is why he never fully realised the potential of his flipper until pepper dooland and benaud. He had another backspinner similar to some of Warnes outside of the hand sliders.
But in his eighties he had to come out and remind everyone that the flipper was his invention and not Benauds.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:

May I ask who told you that? It is wrong. The front foot has to point to the leg-side to allow a full rotation. Look at any decent leg-spinner. Their front foot will always land pointing to the leg side.

I agree that his lower and upper body are possibly out of alignment(I'm not certain though, I would get Liz to look at it). If they are out of alignment it is not the fault of his foot pointing to the leg-side. It would be a problem to do with where he positions his upper body. You can bowl a non-mixed action perfectly fine with a landing foot that points to the leg-side.

Well lads, i'm going to receive a copy of 'the art of wrist spin bowling' in about 2 weeks so i hope i can learn a bit more from it.

I was at the nets wednesday and bowled to both left and right handers. I struggled at first and after everyone left, i stayed back and set a target and bowled at it and things started to come right. I spun the ball big and i'm looking forward to going back today if it doesn't rain. Hopefully what i learnt from the target practice, i can use it and bowl much better. I took a wider run up and it helped.

The Edge Of Willow;355339 said:
May I ask who told you that? It is wrong. The front foot has to point to the leg-side to allow a full rotation. Look at any decent leg-spinner. Their front foot will always land pointing to the leg side.

I agree that his lower and upper body are possibly out of alignment(I'm not certain though, I would get Liz to look at it). If they are out of alignment it is not the fault of his foot pointing to the leg-side. It would be a problem to do with where he positions his upper body. You can bowl a non-mixed action perfectly fine with a landing foot that points to the leg-side.

Yeah I was wondering about that too- left toe pointing to first slip, with the other toe pointing perpendicular to the pitch is very difficult not to mention off-putting to the rhythm. But I did notice that straighter the toe, the more you need to rotate, ergo more action into the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back