Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

You will occasionally come accross a batsman who is good againt leg-spin or maybe just generally against spin bowling. Such a guy usually has good footwork and charges you very late (really good ones charge you after the ball has left your hand) the only things you can do to counter such batsmen are...

1. Holding the ball back a bit just at the last moment (this is what they do at international level)
But this isn't easy as this can easily upset your line-lenght as you are trying to change you rythm/momenum and you just have to practice it a lot in nets. Ask a partner batsman to keep charging you and try making him mistime by doing this OR the harder one try it alone by trying to vary the release as late as possible in your action. the catch being that in doing so you should still be in control of your line-length.

2. Try and forsee when a batsman will/is-going-to charge
At club level its easier as batsmen usually loose patience quickly if tied down or if they are finding it difficult to play your stock leg-break. But at higher level it usually comes with experience (although i would say knowing the batsman before hand doesn't hurt you forcasting ;) )

One thing is to observe the batsmen feet while approaching the bowling crease.
It gives you an indication of the initial movement and a nice spot to pitch ur ball for leg spin.

Yes Iwould second Virender on that.
Also batsman's initial position inside the crease matters too. if he stands a lot inside the crease then you have to pitch fuller than useal and vice-versa.

ive noticed something how come theres quite alot of legspinners at club level but few make it to international level or even county level, while offspinners at club level are more likely to feature at county level or international, Why is this?

Interesting point. The same here in Oz, (the ACT anyway). Lot's of junior leggies out there, but teams have to manufacture off spinners from batsmen. We end up with teams with part time offspinners - usually who just dart the ball in to restrict runs. So in essence there are teams with no spiners at all.

I think historically off spinners are able to control run rates better then leggies. Perhaps this gets them the call up before those cavalier leg spinners. ::)

Or is it because leg spin is a diffcult art of spin bolwing that most leggies are not able to bowl accurately or it is pure lack of interest that leggies are not perform in order to get promoted.

yeah i often get demoralised after a ripping leg break leaves my fingers with a lot of oomph in it which gets smashed over my head. But i guess i have to become more mentally tough as a spinner you need to be very tough mentally. I think probably chirping to the batsmen might help, Can anyone give me any suggestions of chirping i can use to invite the batsmen to keep on trying to go after me? I heard Warne used to sledge alot after getting smashed and even when taking a wicket.

The thing with a lot of club level Leg spinners not being able to make it to higher levels is quite true indeed and I would attribute that to the following major reasons.

1. Lack of coaching
I would say this is the number one reason for the above mentioned fact.... there are too few leg spin coaches especially when compared to Fast bowling coaches or off-spin coaches infact there are more left arm orthodox coaches than for leg-spin. This makes a huge difference cuz mental toughness or team support can only take you as far. I personally had a friend who was an admired leg-spinner at club level and a decent bat, but ultimately had to choose batting over bowling to progress into the district side (which is above the club level in India).

2. Leg-spinners are meant to be expensive
Leg-spin by it very nature is attacking. with the ball turning away from the bat you are always offering the width/chance to open-up the arms but you are also creating possibilities by using the so many variations. So to ask a leg-spinner to bowl defensively is not good (although it can be done using leg-side theory).
Also leg-spinner even the ones at the top level are inconsistent to the level that they do give hit-me balls. I mean apart from Warne I don't know any other leg-spinner who was accurate all the time not even Stuart Macgill.

3. It is difficult
As mentioned above it is a difficult art and most persons can either bowl it (because they naturally can) or not bowl itat all, I personally am yet to come across a person who said he learnt how to bowl leg-spin. So there are already to few of us around.

rajaquest;26102 said:
3. It is difficult
As mentioned above it is a difficult art and most persons can either bowl it (because they naturally can) or not bowl itat all, I personally am yet to come across a person who said he learnt how to bowl leg-spin. So there are already to few of us around.

I'm working at it!!!!

came back from a net session and dedicated to master bowling top spinners, now i got control over my topspinner and leg break but what i dont get is what is the mechanics of a googly, i know its from the back of the hand but how shud the wrist rotate, i tried bringing out a delivery from my back of the hand with a flick of the 3rd finger but all i get is a leg break which bounces, i mastered my stock leg break so i think its time to work on my googly.

Well first know that for the 3 major variations leg-spin, top-spin, googly the wrist movement and the finger movement remains same. Only thing that changes is the direction that the back of the hand/palm faces at the point of release of the ball.

For the googly the back of the hand/palm should face the batsman and if this is happening with the rest of the action remaining same then the seam is automatically spinning in / direction ie towards fine leg.

How i did it when I was trying to perfect it was by trying the action and holding the hand position in fron of a mirror first without a ball and then with it. It helped me out you can give it a try.

PS: watch the Terry jenner Cloverdale masterclass video, to actually see the hand position

Added 1 minute(s) and 14 second(s) later...

someblokecalleddave;26121 said:
I'm working at it!!!!

Your perseverence is an inspiration to many juniors i must say

Hello again peeps - since I was last here (I've had BT-related problems!) I've not played an awful lot - thanks to a footballing injury to my left wrist which I've got a have a steroid injection on this week, I've only played two games in June, both of which were midweek games.

In the second one, I got the full allocation of 3 overs, and bowled miles better than last time, although my length was still a problem. I very nearly took a wicket in my second over with a gorgeous out-swinging quicker ball outside off-stump which missed the edge of the bat by milimetres, but the pitch was once again offering me no turn whatsoever, and the batsmen were really swinging for me, having to chase 200 off just 15 8-ball overs.
As I approached the end of my third over, I was resigned to the fact that it just wasn't my day - last time I bowled rubbish and got a wicket, this time I bowled pretty well and got nothing. Then off the final ball, I gave one a little more flight and the batsman took a big heave at it, missed it, and the ball took the bails off leg stump. This time I'd got a wicket not through a batsman's mistake, but through my own bowling - a nice feeling indeed! So my cumulative bowling figures this season are 5-0-48-2 - not bad, although I'd quite like to get those runs down!

Rajaquest - cheers for the compliment! I'm fine with all the variations that I want to use and I've even developed my own seemingly unique variation. But I just can't bowl Leg Breaks. Anything that is off-spin I can make it turn a mile - Doosra's, Googlies etc. My Top Spinners are nice and accurate. My Flipper is pretty good and turns in from Leg to off a bit and my own weird Flipper variation "The Gipper" does the same and sometimes turns big - but is inconsistent. But the bog standard leg break - I just can't do it! I have phases when it starts to come right, but I reckon I simply bowl too many off-spin balls to ever get the Leg Break right.

rajaquest;26102 said:
The thing with a lot of club level Leg spinners not being able to make it to higher levels is quite true indeed and I would attribute that to the following major reasons.

1. Lack of coaching
I would say this is the number one reason for the above mentioned fact.... there are too few leg spin coaches especially when compared to Fast bowling coaches or off-spin coaches infact there are more left arm orthodox coaches than for leg-spin. This makes a huge difference cuz mental toughness or team support can only take you as far. I personally had a friend who was an admired leg-spinner at club level and a decent bat, but ultimately had to choose batting over bowling to progress into the district side (which is above the club level in India).

I agree, the major reason! Batting coaches, pace bowling coaches are a dime a dozen but anyone willing or confident to teach legspin are as rare as hen's teeth. That's why the legspin thread is so huge, and those rare coaching videos with Jenner, Warne are the bible.

Hopefully the ACB and ECB can get worthwhile programs out to the coaches.

What about Australia - is it any better there does anyone know? Reading Peter Philopotts book the impression I have from that is that in OZ there is a dedicated coaching initiative? Furthering your point, here in the UK (And probably elsewhere) we're seemingly on the verge of an economic crisis with talk of our utility bills going up by 40% by Christmas etc. By way of economising I've contemplated changing teams as my team are some distance away from where I live thus saving money on fuel costs in the car as the local team play on a pitch 5 which is a 5 minute walk away. But my current team is captained by a left armed Leg Spin bowler and the whole team are very positive about having wrist spin bowlers in the attack. I'm worried that if I change teams the opportunities to bowl decent spells will be curtailed if the new team lacks in it's appreciation of the art and the potential for wrist spinners to change the outcome of the game. My current team is awash with wrist spinners and we're pretty supportive of each other even though we're competing for overs in the games. I'd hate to move to a team where there wasn't the same ethos and from experience of playing other teams I've yet to come across a team that seems to have at the core of the attack at least 2 wrist-spin bowlers.

Dave, if you can afford it, stay with your current team. Or get a bike ;)

Dave, i've not been keeping up with your progress. How has it been going?

Simon,

I haven't been posting much lately. I was kind of getting the Leg Break back after spending a couple of hours with a mate throwing it back and forth a la Peter Philpott advice but then in a match had to revert back to my straight balls and off-spinners and then lost the leg break again. I feel like it's a lost cause unless someone can practice it with me throwing the ball back and forth and that's not likely to happen in the near future. I think I had one of the epithany moments in the last game we played. My captains a good bloke - he tries to set up all sorts of things with me and helps as much as he can - but life just conspires to not allow it to happen. In the last match he was saying that some of the stuff that I was doing was spot on - I even got a maiden over. But then I started to get knocked around the pitch a bit. He's been brought up with cricket and lives cricket and I think he talks the talk confident that I know what he's on about whereas half the time I think I've been missing the point. I think in the last game I realised what he was trying to get across to me is the fact that I've got to adapt my length in accordance with what the batsman thinks I'm going to do. So once the bat seems to have got the hang of what I'm doing then draw him down the wicket with slightly shorter balls getting him out of the crease, so then a change of pace or direction of spin could get the ball past him? I think I'm lacking in experience and confidence to realise this when I'm bowling, but I've now got the idea in mind I may be able to put it into action? I'll have to wait another week yet.

Other than that I've just felt like I do a lot of waffling and not enough doing, so didn't post so much and the blokes on here all sound like they're all doing really well and don't need me suggesting things they can do - because the truth seems to be I'm still very naive when it comes to this lark! I'm keeping my blog going though and I post updates in the boundary section regularly. How you doing yourself?

I'm going ok, averaging in the early 30's which isn't pleasing to say the least. But in all fairness we've had a large chunk of great teams, so my average has inflated, when we get to the weaker teams in a few weeks i think it'll be knocked down to the late 20's.

I'm just trying to get that batting instinct back, i've lost the will to go big. Its all "knock it and run it," whereas i don't think thats positive enough for me! Ahh well...

Dave, keep it up, ok you're only what? 2 seasons young? Give it this season, and re-assess. You'll have a wider understanding as you go! Don't be afraid to experiment! It might just work ;)

Dave,Personally I feel u are doing fine.
We go back togther those days back before Simply Cricket.
There is one thing that no body can take or change from you and that is your "Self-belief".
Practice and enjoy the game for you can inspire others as well with knowledge and unmatched passion for cricket :)

Cheers virender and Simon, yeah you're right - aah I remember those days... Harrowdrives little forum - Virender, Me and a few others - those were the day eh? Anyway as I was saying - yep, bit by bit it does seem to be coming together and as you've pointed out this is my first full season with a real team and I've only been bowling for 2 years, so I'm probably doing okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back