Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

ok guys... need help

bowled in a practise match today and was soooo bad.....
it was turning, but i just dropped everything short and i got hit for alot of runs and no wickets,

i got the feeling that there wasnt enough energy in my action, but when i went back to the nets i bowled great....

any tips for match form as opposed to nets???

Perhaps you bowl the ball from too close in the nets and you are more weary of the no ball line in matches?

its not like im bowling the same but just fuller, in the noets my action feels much better and i get a better ball flight

you could see if you can try and practice on a proper pitch or try warming up on the outfield before you bowl

Surely this is just basic psychology? In the nets what you do is of no consequence, so you're no doubt a lot more relaxed and it's just easier? In a game the psychology is completely different - everybody (including yourself) expects results, you try harder and therefore the whole thing has a propensity to fall apart?

Dave, i certainly hope you're not serious there!

You should be, in practise, making it as authentic as possible. Giving yourself "scenarios," such as,

They're 4 down, with thier biggest hitters on, who are 23 and 43 not out, we need these two wickets else we've lost.

Things like this make practice that much more competitive and makes sure you can adjust in games.

i do agree with simbazz, nets or practise should be as match like as possible, but at teh same time its also a chance for you to try new things and work on the good things and always finish on a high!

MobyCricket said:
its not like im bowling the same but just fuller, in the noets my action feels much better and i get a better ball flight
Moby;Maybe Match pressure or something bothering in Ur mind.
Lot of things or maybe u had thought a lot about Ur bowling plan.
Sit and just go through the series of events happened before match or during the match and recollect.
Maybe u will find Ur answers.

Something you spinners may find interesting, if you go to the Telegraph cricket section they have a coaching video with Monty where he talks about grips and spinning the ball.

Telegraph

hey, i just played my first league match for U15's and bowled amazingly well, but not picked up a wicket, i finished 4-1-12-0 and actually bowled too well to pick up a wicket as i was spinning it too much with the batsmen missing it from leg stump and fizzing past offstump, even when i pitched it up it still missed it because of spin and bounce, and got a few good LBWs turned down, my question is how could i control my amount of spin and bounce so i can actually get a wicket by bowled or LBW?

Simbazz said:
Dave, i certainly hope you're not serious there!

You should be, in practise, making it as authentic as possible. Giving yourself "scenarios," such as,

They're 4 down, with thier biggest hitters on, who are 23 and 43 not out, we need these two wickets else we've lost.

Things like this make practice that much more competitive and makes sure you can adjust in games.

Yeah - you're right, that's the kind of thing I do when I'm on my own or when I'm practicing with my mate (On very rare occassions), but I found that net sessions with my team didn't really imbue a sense of intensity anywhere near as much as a game. You throw a loose ball down the nets and it goes wide - yeah sure you feel inside and personally that it's all downhill and it's the next worse thing to your dog dying. But you don't get that collective sense that everyone on the pitches heads have just dropped when you do the same thing in a game. In the nets everyone just jokes and p****s themselves laughing when you mess up, but in a game it's totally different every mistake counts, every 4 works against all the other bowlers that have held the score down and produced maidens - it is so very different.

Nets are there to hone skills, try new things and get overs/runs/time at the crease under your belt.

Whilst you should always try to play at 100% in nets, it's also important to not lose track of their actual purpose, which is practice. It is hard to replicate a match situation when half the people around you are messing around so the best thing to do is just get on with it and do your own thing.

One point about spinners getting hit for boundaries in matches and that is not to worry about it. Even the best spinners in the world get smashed from time to time but they learn to forget about and concentrate on the next ball. They bowl as apart of an attack and the other bowlers know that boundaries are going to happen.

My biggest concern would be the type of boundaries being hit, if they have any element of risk to them then the bowler always has a chance, if they are being conceded due to poor field placements then there is a problem.

ahh monty panesar. good bowler and getting better. he has developed more variations now since watching vettori through flight and pace etc.

I think the key thing with Panesar is that he has to keep learning. If he can do that then he'll be a very good spinner by about 30 and coming into his peak years.

Hello everyone,

I registered with this forum today and apologies to jump into the thread like this(was not sure where to start on the forum).

I am a wannabe leggie based in the uk and have been following this forum with keen interest for a while now. Felt that its high time I actually join the forum and join the discussions.

I guess I am a decent bat (opened the innings majority of times). I have been bowling part time leg breaks but have developed serious fascination for leg-spin bowling oflate. Not having access
to a coach to sort my bowling problems, I resorted to getting some e-coaching and have bumped into this web site a while back. I have been a silent reader all these days.

I am very pleased to know that there are others out there like me who share my fascination (or is it obsession?) for this great game and wrist spin in particular.

Was also pleased to know that there are others out there just like me whose family has given upon them after watching them spin the ball at home all the time.

I have been surprised by the interest that some of you like someblokecalleddave have in this art and I must say I share the obsession.
(hi someblokecalleddave - I have been a regular visitor to yor blog as well).

I want to become a decent leggie in the years to come (I am in my early 30s) and prepared to work hard.

I have recently ordered "The art of wrist spin bowling" form amazon and liked it a lot although I was disappointed that when I realized there's no mention of a problem that have with the lenght that I am bowling (and pinned my hopes on that book to offer a solution).

enough about me and look forward to participating in the discussions

rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back