Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

Last week's practice was perfect with getting good spin and accuracy.
But at times i loose my focus and mess up the deliveries.Maybe due to the batting in the next nets.Most of the batsmen are hard hitter and mostly without any timing.
Over all this season the change in bowling stride and bowling from round the wicket rather across the wicket has helped in keeping my line and length perfect.
With the prime form going very well from my last matches; the confidence is good.
I need to just practice and focus on spin and accuracy.

I took 5/19 today bowling my great leg spinners. That makes 7/23 in 2 games this season. That's quite a nice start.
In my first over I took 3 wickets. First wicket was caught at deepish square leg, next ball bowled the guy around his legs (If you read my last game, I did it then as well). Then for my hattrick ball I tried the toppy but it was a wide. Ahh well, I've already taken a hattrick before. :p Got another wicket 2 balls later. My 2nd over, I took another 2 wickets. My coach said that I had 4/4 at one stage. After 1.3 overs I had 5 wickets. :eek: I bowled pies for the next 4 overs and couldn't get my 6th wicket. But it's my best figures and I go MOTM. :)

My previous best was 4/14 from a couple of years ago.

We bowled em out for 101 and won by 39 runs.

Sean that sounds like the bowling figures I'd like. Are you the captain of the team? Our captain took the club record this season with something like 75 wickets, but at the presentation someone heckled him shouting - 'Yeah but you only bowl at the Bunnies Neil'! Which I hadn't thought about before. When I thought about it I realised what he does. He bowls after the seamers usually with me or one of the other spinners and usually keeps about 2/3rds or at least half of his overs in hand by bailing out fairly early if nothing is doing. We/I usually slog through the openers or the higher middle order and as the Heckler implied he comes in and cleans up the tail! So there might be a bit of a cunning plan in action here? Where do you normally bowl up the order or more towards the end?

Either way it's impressive - well done! Got some way to go before you beat my 7 year old son he - bowled 9 for about 30 on holiday this summer and some of the kids were pretty handy! See Joe Thompson Wrist Spin Legend

With regards my own progress I've had another bowling session today that seems to suggest that my Leg Break is coming together. I'm still avoiding the Googlie and Doosra so that bowling out of the front of my hand eventually feels normal rather than out of the back of my hand as it does at the moment. I reckon it's going to be some time and a lot of bowling till the Leg Break feels like my natural bowling action and at the moment it still feels totally wrong. The good thing though is that it is coming together and it looks as though even if I was to settle with it as it is - it wouldn't be too bad. Just as long as I get the line and length working well, combined with the amount of spin I get on it and that it converts from practicing with Hockey Balls on tramac to seamed balls on a wicket I should be okay. Theoretically when that conversion happens it should go well because a relatively smooth Hockey Ball is difficult to get any purchase on to impart the spin?

Have a look at my main blogs to see the full story - Wrist Spin Bowling
and Wrist Spin Bowling: Diary The second blog has some images regarding the change in grip that seems to be instrumental in me getting the ball to spin.

someblokecalleddave;281809 said:
Sean that sounds like the bowling figures I'd like. Are you the captain of the team? Our captain took the club record this season with something like 75 wickets, but at the presentation someone heckled him shouting - 'Yeah but you only bowl at the Bunnies Neil'! Which I hadn't thought about before. When I thought about it I realised what he does. He bowls after the seamers usually with me or one of the other spinners and usually keeps about 2/3rds or at least half of his overs in hand by bailing out fairly early if nothing is doing. We/I usually slog through the openers or the higher middle order and as the Heckler implied he comes in and cleans up the tail! So there might be a bit of a cunning plan in action here? Where do you normally bowl up the order or more towards the end?

Either way it's impressive - well done! Got some way to go before you beat my 7 year old son he - bowled 9 for about 30 on holiday this summer and some of the kids were pretty handy! See Joe Thompson Wrist Spin Legend

Well these 2 games I've been the 5th over. I was meant to bowl at 1st change yesterday but I was crook in the morning. Anyway when I came on they were 3 fa so it was still the middle order.

I'm not captain of the team, but I'd love to be. The captains we have don't make the moves and the coach ends up doing it. If the people who should be captain were captaining, the coach wouldn't have to do it. :eek:

That guy must be good if he took 75 wickets. You still have to get those lower order wickets.

Your son took 9 wickets? :eek: Wow, can he spin the ball?

Yeah he does - Leg Breaks! A lot better than me and varies the speed. I've seen this happen loads of times.

We played a game in the summer (My team) against some mates of mine so the team we put together was made up of old duffers like me, blokes that have eaten far too many pies and 2 or 3 of the younger colts and these kids were small - really small - same size as my son but a bit older maybe 12 or 13 but just small for their age. My mates team was made up of blokes in their late 30's and early 40's who used to play cricket when they were at school and had just come back to the game because of my influence. So our team was a right rag bag 3rd XI but it included a few blokes who fancied themselves as spin bowlers (Including me). The bowling line up didn't look that clever and it looked as though if anyone was going to have any impact it was going to be me and another Off-spinner. About 11 overs in during a 20 overs aside match one of their openers was still there charging down the wicket hitting me and the other bloke over the boundary whenever he wanted to and they had something like 130 on the board and it wasn't looking at all clever. Me and this other bloke run out of overs and on come the little boys. The 2nd ball the first little boy threw it up straight and loopy, the bloke came down the wicket swung his bat at it and the ball hadn't reached him at that point and it went straight past him and hit the stumps. His mate at the other end did virtually the same thing - they both bowled straight balls at different speeds - might have been some spin I'm not sure, but they cleaned up the whole of the batting team in their allocated overs - between them they took 8 wickets and by the time the game had finished they'd only managed to put on another 20 runs or so!

It'll be interesting to see how my son Joe does in his new cricket team, but already in comparison with all the other kids other than his older brother Ben his line and length is far more accurate!

With regards captaincy - I reckon it is such a good thing to have a captain that's either interested in Wrist Spin Bowling and see it as an asset or better still he bowls spin himself. The team I play for is brilliant from this point of view, there's 4 of us at the minute and the colts include the 2 kids who are coming through and everyone gets a chance to bowl and we're given a fair crack at it. I'm in a position at the minute where my sons now play for another team and this new team is based in my own town - so from an economic and time point of view it would make sense for me to join my sons team. But I just get the sense that they're a bit Old Skool and they don't have a lot of time for spin bowling? I might be wrong? So for the moment I'm happy to be playing for my current team who are so enthusiastic about spin bowling.

Have a look at this - skip past the stuff on my practice with my mates and look at the text and images with regards to my version of the Doosra. I've just read about something similar to this in an off-spin thread on this website and tried this out and it looks very promising - Wrist Spin Bowling: 20th November

Dave, your comment on captains being interested in spin is absolutely perfect.

As a captain (or used to be before I hit the mens group) I always knew that spin could win me a game. All captains need to know how much of an effect spin has, and unfortunately some captains disregard them as part-timers. Such a shame.

Simon, I think out colts team is also a really good example too. Our cricket team struggles to get teams out on some days and our colts team is similar. We're very poorly resourced and in comparison with some of the other colts teams in the area we are at the very bottom of the pile I'd say with regards Kids to call on, pitch quality and practice facilities. But our kids came second in their league and this is because there is an appreciation of spin bowling and it's importance in the game. Both the coaches that work with the kids are on board with using spin in the game and one of them is a seam bowler. I've got the prospect of moving to another team where my kids have just started to play cricket and they're both doing really well, but I don't think I'd ever join them because they don't embrace spin. So much so that the kids coaches were doing a session last week on bowling and there was no differentiation with regards their bowling style - so my poor little son who bowled 9 for 30 in the summer bowling Leg Breaks was more or less told off for holding the ball across seam and was shown how to "Hold the ball properly"! Yet the week before in their session he almost took 3 wickets in 2 overs but was let down by the rest of the kids not being able to catch dollies.

Hey All,

Just read though about half of this thread, I wasn't patient enough to read the entire thing. I've got some questions for you guys, and I've also got a couple of points I'd like to make.

I've been bowling Leg Spin for 14 years, so I'd like to think I know just a little bit about the craft. Did quite well when I was younger, but been frustrated with my bowling of late.

Anyhow, one observation I've noticed from reading this thread is that everyone seems to be pretty obsessed with mastering a wrongun, flipper and topspinner etc. While these are all great weapons to have in your arsenal, I think many under estimate the amount of variation that you can have in your leg break. I find varying my flight and my speed is the most effective variation I have in my bowling.

I bowl quite quick through the air now as a leg spinner, don't give the batsman much time to use their feet. As I bowl this way I often find I can create a lot of chances throwing the odd one in with more flight. The top spinner is also quite effective too.

But as I said don't think that a wrongun or slider is the only variation you can bowl, learn to vary your flight and your speed through the air, can be a very valuable weapon.

Here's a question I have. Especially at training, and occasionally in a game, when bowling a leg break I can feel the ball just fizz out of my hand, and as soon as I let it go I'm almost certain I'll beat the bat or even get an edge. The ball will turn lots, even dip a bit perhaps, making it really hard for the batsman to play.

Has anyone else experienced this? I want to identify what I'm doing in my action when I get this fizz, but I haven't been able to as yet. Any thoughts?

I also find that I bowl much better when I'm extremely warmed up. Hot days, when I've been running around in the field is when I bowl best. It can be hard on colder days to get my body warmed up, and well and truely loose. Especially as I bowl spin, I'm not sure when I'm going to come on, so I try and run around in the field as much as I can, but sometimes it is still hard to be well and truly warmed up when I come into the attack. Anyone experience similar experiences and have any tips on staying warm on a cold day in the field?

One more question. I saw someone earlier in the thread someone mention there is a seperate thread which had details on shoulder warm ups and exercises to look after your shoulder. Can anyone point me in that direction?

After 13 years of bowling leg spin, my shoulder isn't in great nick. Anything I can do to make my shoulder stronger would be great. I obviously warm my shoulder up, but I'm not sure if I could be doing it better.

hi there, ive been bowling legspin for about a year now, im 15 btw. You mentioned the fizzing part in your first post and thats what has just been happening to me right now, it doesent happen consistently but when it happens i get big side spin, i think its when i include my action into the delievery with power but ill find out with more experience. When i first started legspin i couldent feel the ball fizzing out, it just sort of lobbed up now with practice i get it right sometimes. I have a theory, i think its because the ball slips out and the third finger doesent get a chance to flick the ball because you flick your wrist too early. What are your thoughts?

paper doll;285024 said:
One more question. I saw someone earlier in the thread someone mention there is a seperate thread which had details on shoulder warm ups and exercises to look after your shoulder. Can anyone point me in that direction?

After 13 years of bowling leg spin, my shoulder isn't in great nick. Anything I can do to make my shoulder stronger would be great. I obviously warm my shoulder up, but I'm not sure if I could be doing it better.

Try this as a start http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58952/ you need to talk to Liz Ward and David Hinchcliffe who moderate that part of the forums.

Paper Doll - I think you're the most experienced person to ever have posted on here. The rest of us including me as I've only just discovered cricket at the age of 46 have been bowling for a couple of years or so. I think the main thing on here is that we all want to learn more and that we're interested in it the art and none of us would put our hands up and say that we're experts by any stretch of the imagination (Especially me). Some of the moderators who do sound like they're good cricket players often extol the virtues of having a very good Leg Break and then being able to picth it in the right areas and as you say vary the line, length, speed. There's an example I often cite of an older bloke than me who bowled 10 - 11 overs against my team a year or so back and bowled 7 maidens and had 2 of our better bats pinned down just using what appeared to be a Top spinner, but doing exactly as you've said - varying the length and speed.

With regards your 'Fizz' factor I can only talk with exceptionally limited experience and if you've read some of the recent entries since Sept or maybe even visited my own pesonal blog you'll know I'm in the process of developing my Leg Break and I'm very much a learner. But my observations are that when I get it right I know as soon as it leaves the hand it is going to deviate off it's line once it hits the wicket. The telling factor for me is that as it leaves the hand the last two fingers are seemingly stuck to the ball until the very last instance and I can just feel it's those fingers that put the rotation on the ball. But as Peter Philpott says in his book we all have slightly different ways of doing what is basically the same thing - so this may make no sense to you at all, but for me at the moment it seems to work.

Simbazz;284803 said:
Dave, your comment on captains being interested in spin is absolutely perfect.

As a captain (or used to be before I hit the mens group) I always knew that spin could win me a game. All captains need to know how much of an effect spin has, and unfortunately some captains disregard them as part-timers. Such a shame.

Spot on Simbazz,It took a lot of explanation with examples to convince my captain the same and still i am stressing on the same point.Now slowly by slowly he is trying to understand it.I also have to pinch the same point again and again and again....never ending.

I'm so glad my captain is a spin bowler and that our club generally embraces and supports spin throughout the team! They've been brilliant with me when I think of my first season with them, I must have been instrumental in several games that were lost and yet they still gave me another chance the following week.

I'm still trying to get to grips with the video function on the camera and I'd say that I've recorded this at too low quality and I'll do it the next size up next time. Other than that without anyone else looking at this and passing comment I can see loads wrong with it. But in my defense the hall that we're using doesn't allow for the wicket to be 22yards long and therefore we can get a run up. To me it looks as though there's no power anywhere in the action, the run in looks as though it should be speeded up and the rotation of the arms is far too slow I need to whip those arms round a bit faster I reckon, but then I was bowling over a very short wicket? I'll interested in hearing your views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb1m7T6lzQ8

Simbazz;279823 said:
Nice to know you're still working hard Dave!

My indoor season has been scuppered due to a fantastically annoying shoulder. Again its causing migranes when its moved, and again it cannot be moved after i've slept. So i've not played any sport in a month, which isn't good as i'm annoyingly hyper as my girlfriend keeps reminding me when i wind her up :p

I've got a hospital appointment tomorrow, so hopefully they'll get an MRI? or whatever, and have a look. Best thing would be this early in winter would be for it to be operated on now, rather than after the christmas, as i don't want to miss the start of next season. We'll see how it goes i suppose, might be nothin, but its a painful nothin.

Simon,

Just come across this whilst looking for something else :(

How is the shoulder? Did you get a scan? If so, what was the result?

I actually think a remedial/sports massage would do you no end of good ;). Liz

someblokecalleddave;285260 said:
With regards your 'Fizz' factor I can only talk with exceptionally limited experience and if you've read some of the recent entries since Sept or maybe even visited my own pesonal blog you'll know I'm in the process of developing my Leg Break and I'm very much a learner. But my observations are that when I get it right I know as soon as it leaves the hand it is going to deviate off it's line once it hits the wicket.

I can turn the ball without getting it to fizz, that is my standard delivery... But when I release the ball like that, 80% of the time, the batsman won't be able to hit it... I think when I release the ball like that the delivery really does drop, and turns sharply, beating the bat.

Surely that's a Godsend? If you're able to do that couldn't you bowl your standard ball the majority of the time down the offside and then put the ball down the leg side making it look like you've made a mistake and then this ball is the one with fizz that goes round the back of their legs a la Shane Warne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back