Wrist Spin Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wrist Spin Bowling

sadspinner;348654 said:
Many times I suspected that he got that wrong. In tennis when I used to hit with backspin I prayed it would not go beyond the baseline. It definitely travels further than side or topspin, and obviously bounces less. Many of the flippers by warne I thought were quite full and not short, though I may be mistaken.
Jenner never bowled a flipper in his playing days ,and I heard he was shown how by Rod Marsh at the cricket academy in Adelaide in the early 90,s.

Ripping-LegBreak;348731 said:
I have a question about the pivot, should your pivot finish with your front foot pointing at square leg, In my action my front toe points at legslip ( or should it be straighter?) then i focus on pivoting till my front foot finish a near 90 degree turn.
Hmm, I'm a bit unsure as to exactly what you mean. I can't see how you would possibly have your front-foot pointing towards square leg after you complete the pivot, as the foot rotates somewhat with the body.

I'm not exactly sure about where feet should be pointing just before the pivot, as I learnt the pivot by making sure my front foot landed to the right of my back-foot. But I doubt you would want the front-foot to be any straighter than leg-slip before the pivot; I can see any way of maintaining good balance while having your front-foot land to the right of your back-foot if it goes much straighter.

macca;348656 said:
It was more like a tradesman guild, and secrets were kept and handed down. Grimmetts trade as a signwriter operated the same way. Trade secrets were important and possible in the old days, but not anymore.

That is true but as dave says, with internet and all, we still can only see the small leg break being shown and not a word on how to bowl the big one. And not even a sniff on the mystery ball you unearthed.

oh right, so your front foot is perfectly straight but it's to the right? That clears things up, my foot is at an angle pointing to legslip, i think this was the cause of inaccuracy in my bowling as my foot was one way and my hips and shoulders were straight.

Yeah there does seem to be a reluctance to impart information. But it might just be a reluctance to put pen to paper. I think too that when people do speak out about this as a subject if you've not got the same gravitas/experience as an international player people readily conclude that you are talking out of your ****. I have to go back to the point that I made yesterday that I've never met another spinner who will say to you that he has several variations or has even considered looking at the potential of other variations. Books that cover the subject of cricket in a generic manner only touch on the subject and as we're all well aware the only book out there is Philpotts.

Then consider Philpotts book and it's accessibilty, I think over this thread people have said 'Oh I know that book, but I couldn't be bothered to read it'. It is of a time and it's appeal to kids who are obviously the key to the survival of wrist spin is limited I reckon?

I noted on my blog tonight that Jenner had updated his blog Terry Jenner - "The Spin Doctor" and on there he writes about the current state that wrist spin is in and alludes to the potential of another period like the 1980's. It does seem as though this particular speciality in cricket is so obscure and so shrouded in mystery that it may be to the detriment of the art?

The foot that comes over and round the pivoting foot should land and point in the direction that you're directing the ball ideally, that's what my coach was getting me to do as I was going too far around the pivoting foot and ending up with that foot pointing towards point/cover.

macca;348658 said:
Jenner never bowled a flipper in his playing days ,and I heard he was shown how by Rod Marsh at the cricket academy in Adelaide in the early 90,s.

So you agree that it is bowled on a full length?

someblokecalleddave;348660 said:
Yeah there does seem to be a reluctance to impart information. But it might just be a reluctance to put pen to paper. I think too that when people do speak out about this as a subject if you've not got the same gravitas/experience as an international player people readily conclude that you are talking out of your ****. I have to go back to the point that I made yesterday that I've never met another spinner who will say to you that he has several variations or has even considered looking at the potential of other variations.

Do you mean they have no variations, or is it that they would not like to share with other leggies.

In your experience do leggies at your club bowl many wides or loose balls. And have you batted in the nets against leggies. If so do you find it easier to pick them?

Yeah I don't know what's going on there, the 2nd's a funny mix of players as well. In the 1st team there's a lot of the names I don't recognise as they're only posted as their surnames and I know most of them by their Christian names. I'll just have to see how it goes. I'd assume because of the 5 man spin attack 4 leggies and 1 offie it might be a team that doesn't play spin that well - but that's not true because the Oppo wasn't decided till Friday night and I was told I was in on Tuesday as I recall.

Remember yesterday I mentioned there were some unsavoury comments relating to my Flipper video, I've just been looking into how to disenable the comments and it looks as though it's not possible so I may have to delete them all and upload again with the comments option not ticked from the outset. Anyway looking around my youtube account I came across the details of one of the blokes that had made one of the adverse comments and it kind of makes sense now. Have a look - http://www.youtube.com/user/woodamler but the surprising thing is that it's not a 17 year old but a bloke who's almost 40!

Apologies to any 17 year olds - that comment was a bit disparaging.

macca;348662 said:
That is it. I will email Mr Jenner and annoy him with Grimmetts flipper.

Good idea. He will have something else to use in his courses. Did jenner ever exchange information with grimmett as far as you know?

someblokecalleddave;348756 said:
The foot that comes over and round the pivoting foot should land and point in the direction that you're directing the ball ideally, that's what my coach was getting me to do as I was going too far around the pivoting foot and ending up with that foot pointing towards point/cover.

Sounds like you have a fast bowler coaching spin there. Your front-foot should land on the right-side of your back foot(assuming a right hander leg-spinner), there is absolutely no way that you could maintain balance doing that and have your foot pointing where your want to bowl before the pivot. It has to point to the leg-side significantly, even if you are aiming to bowl outside off-stump.

If you were pivoting too far, I daresay that before the pivot the front-foot was pointing too straight. You were probably trying to do a full pivot; but because your front-foot was pointing too straight there was less distance to cover, so you ended up pivoting too far.

Look at where the front foot of Warne points before he pivots: YouTube - A tribute to Shane Warne

Pause it at 15 seconds to see what I mean.

Ripping-LegBreak said:
oh right, so your front foot is perfectly straight but it's to the right? That clears things up, my foot is at an angle pointing to legslip, i think this was the cause of inaccuracy in my bowling as my foot was one way and my hips and shoulders were straight.

Well it is straight in the sense that you do not bend your ankle before it lands; but it definitely points to the leg-side. What you describe above actually could be close to correct. Watching the above video should clear things up.

The Philpott images where he appears to be really ripping the ball could be just down to the fact that the photographer has shot the images at 1/60th or a second or there abouts in order to catch the balls movement. In fact looking at it here it appears that many of the shots are slower say 1/30th as the body is caught moving in other areas, so even a fairly slowly rotating ball would be rendered as a blur.

I reckon they do put a fair amount of spin on the ball though, but I'm sure that I've read here or elsewhere that the ball doesn't have to be spinning that massively in order to turn off the wicket. If it lands on the seam even with a little rotation there's going to be some deviation? This is somewhat quantified by my straight arm leg break that relies on the 3rd finger doing all the work in imparting the spin, because when it does land on the seam it deviates well, whereas if the it lands on the smooth areas of the ball it's less effective.

The other thing is I think when you're at Warnes level and perhaps with the experience of Jenner difficult stuff is made to look ridiculously easy, I'm finding that my current grip that I'm getting this big flick with, it looks very easy and laid back, but it just seems as though it's far more effortless and effective in putting the spin on the ball, which looks to be the key to the next big stage in my own leg break development.

The Edge Of Willow;348776 said:
Sounds like you have a fast bowler coaching spin there. Your front-foot should land on the right-side of your back foot(assuming a right hander leg-spinner), there is absolutely no way that you could maintain balance doing that and have your foot pointing where your want to bowl before the pivot. It has to point to the leg-side significantly, even if you are aiming to bowl outside off-stump.

If you were pivoting too far, I daresay that before the pivot the front-foot was pointing too straight. You were probably trying to do a full pivot; but because your front-foot was pointing too straight there was less distance to cover, so you ended up pivoting too far.

Look at where the front foot of Warne points before he pivots: YouTube - A tribute to Shane Warne

Pause it at 15 seconds to see what I mean.

Well it is straight in the sense that you do not bend your ankle before it lands; but it definitely points to the leg-side. What you describe above actually could be close to correct. Watching the above video should clear things up.

Eow is spot on. Have a look at some action shots of the great legspinners and you will see he is right.

sadspinner;348663 said:
Do you mean they have no variations, or is it that they would not like to share with other leggies.

In your experience do leggies at your club bowl many wides or loose balls. And have you batted in the nets against leggies. If so do you find it easier to pick them?

There's our Chinaman who I can do quite well against by leaving all his balls that are moving away from the bat or if the length is right play him off the back foot. He's good and rarely bowls wides and no-balls. My mate the Wizard who's a leggie makes it turn really well and is fast, you just have to watch anything that is legside with him and not be tempted to come out of your crease. But if you bide your time he starts getting frustrated and starts bowling wides and bad balls and then get the Yips.

I can't pick them I just have to watch them in and play them on Merit.

I recieved a reply from Terry Jenner and this is what he said

"Dear Macca, I can only say that trying to use the flicking of the fingers whilst delivering the ball overarm seems to lend itself to either side spin release which creates a googly or a backspin release which produces the flipper.
Clarrie was a genius but it would have been almost impossible to flick the fingers and create overspin, the way I understand the release of the cricket ball.
I often told the kids a Grimmett story re the "flicker" and the "flipper"
During the story I would show the flicking finger googly and the flicking finger flipper " severe backspin"
I could only demo the googly over a short pitch and had to bowl with a very low arm.
Over 22 yards I was hopeless with both.
Sorry that is the best i can offer.
Regards Terry Jenner.

someblokecalleddave;348665 said:
The Philpott images where he appears to be really ripping the ball could be just down to the fact that the photographer has shot the images at 1/60th or a second or there abouts in order to catch the balls movement. In fact looking at it here it appears that many of the shots are slower say 1/30th as the body is caught moving in other areas, so even a fairly slowly rotating ball would be rendered as a blur.

I reckon they do put a fair amount of spin on the ball though, but I'm sure that I've read here or elsewhere that the ball doesn't have to be spinning that massively in order to turn off the wicket. If it lands on the seam even with a little rotation there's going to be some deviation? This is somewhat quantified by my straight arm leg break that relies on the 3rd finger doing all the work in imparting the spin, because when it does land on the seam it deviates well, whereas if the it lands on the smooth areas of the ball it's less effective.

The other thing is I think when you're at Warnes level and perhaps with the experience of Jenner difficult stuff is made to look ridiculously easy, I'm finding that my current grip that I'm getting this big flick with, it looks very easy and laid back, but it just seems as though it's far more effortless and effective in putting the spin on the ball, which looks to be the key to the next big stage in my own leg break development.

Yes thank you about the photography piece, possibly due to the cloudy weather they had to use 1/60 rather than say 1/125 or whatever. But do you notice that in his hand to hand flick jenner does not seem to use much of a flick, and there are very few revs on the ball? Do you get more revs than him from hand to hand. I do and I am sure I am not a big flicker/revver/flicker.

As regards the ball landing on the seam, I fully agree.I use 6 balls. 4, I have been using for 2 years and have practically lost their seam, while 2 are newer. When they hit the seam, they bounce/spit more off the surface, also probably as they are harder.

macca;348825 said:

"Dear Macca, I can only say that trying to use the flicking of the fingers whilst delivering the ball overarm seems to lend itself to either side spin release which creates a googly or a backspin release which produces the flipper.
Clarrie was a genius but it would have been almost impossible to flick the fingers and create overspin, the way I understand the release of the cricket ball.
During the story I would show the flicking finger googly and the flicking finger flipper " severe backspin"
I could only demo the googly over a short pitch and had to bowl with a very low arm.
Regards Terry Jenner.

I just sent another email to Terry Jenner in response to his note to me , where I stated some of the evidence in Grimmetts own words. I dont know if I will hear back but the penny may drop for Jenner because he is a legspinner, but I am just amazed that nobody has read the book. I hope he is not confusing " flick" with "click" like Mallett seems to in his book.

In my reply I said how Grimmett said it was hard and that he spent 12 years, summer and winter developing it. But I also told him I did not think it would take Grimmett 12 years to bowl the modern flipper even though he started from scratch.

It was only when I read Malletts book did I realise that the true story of the flipper has been lost. I cant find any other reference that includes my theory.

someblokecalleddave;348666 said:
There's our Chinaman who I can do quite well against by leaving all his balls that are moving away from the bat or if the length is right play him off the back foot. He's good and rarely bowls wides and no-balls. My mate the Wizard who's a leggie makes it turn really well and is fast, you just have to watch anything that is legside with him and not be tempted to come out of your crease. But if you bide your time he starts getting frustrated and starts bowling wides and bad balls and then get the Yips.

I can't pick them I just have to watch them in and play them on Merit.

When i tried facing an offspinner, I always found myself rocking on the backfoot. I found it very difficult to take a big step on the front foot. The chinaman getting the ball away from your bat. Do you mean he bowls mainly wrong ones to right handers?

macca;348825 said:

Regards Terry Jenner.

I get the same as Jenner says. I tend to get it as an offspinner or a googly as he puts it. I can understand his difficulty in understanding that you are bowling a flipper to yourself while bowling forwards. The flipper bowled to the batsman gives backspin, but moving your wrist 180 degrees to this gives topspin. But the wrist must be kept in a very precise position to get overspin only. I agree with you though Macca that even mine has an element of topspin and it does kick off the pitch despite me getting some offspin on it. In my case I find it equally difficult to bowl back towrds me while propelling forwards to get the big leg break.

What I am surprised at though as you say, is the fact that your countries top legspinners would have never analysed, read and reread , studied and practiced what grimmett says. He got all this through hours of experimentation and observation. But if he did not perfect it over all those years, I doubt how many will manage. On the other hand Warne would tell you he 'only' had is legbreak and flipper and non spinning leg break/zooter/slider and took bucket loads.......But the bottom line is as you say is the fact that they never seem to have read these books. It is comparing this to becoming a doctor without ever having seen a patient (the most classic of textbooks).

sadspinner;348663 said:
Do you mean they have no variations, or is it that they would not like to share with other leggies?

Probably a bit of both. There's also an element of psychology involved as I'm sure that they're all aware of the potential to keep quiet about what they can and can't do and then when the ball comes off the pitch and turns into the batsman they'll then claim it was intentional. Only my Captain Neil the Chinaman seems to have the ability to turn it both ways and vary the dip/top-spin but he concedes that he doesn't turn it much. His key weapon is his experience and ability to read the bats weaknesses and then vary his pace, length and dip. His leg break is fast but then it just drops out of the sky - it's very impressive.

I can testify to the fact that that it is possible to turn the hand 180 degrees and click the fingers flipper style to produce a ball that spins in a Top spinner manner. The view the bat would see would be the side of the hand in the style of a karate chop and as you click the fingers your thumb would be facing you. I'm not saying that it's easy because it's not and I've injured myself trying to do it last week and I've now got to not bowl by the feels of it for a couple of weeks (Sod you Macca with your Clarrie Grimmet secret ball)! anyway that aside it sounds as though Saddo has got it? Are you really bowling this ball Saddo because it's pulled a major tendon or muscle in the underside of my forearm and it's causing me problems with my bowling and I'm going to have to ease up for a week and see if it correctes itself. It's a difficult ball to bowl I reckon.

someblokecalleddave;348669 said:
Probably a bit of both. There's also an element of psychology involved as I'm sure that they're all aware of the potential to keep quiet about what they can and can't do and then when the ball comes off the pitch and turns into the batsman they'll then claim it was intentional. Only my Captain Neil the Chinaman seems to have the ability to turn it both ways and vary the dip/top-spin but he concedes that he doesn't turn it much. His key weapon is his experience and ability to read the bats weaknesses and then vary his pace, length and dip. His leg break is fast but then it just drops out of the sky - it's very impressive.

So he uses mainly topspin. From your website it looks like he is the biggest wicket taker. Does he tell you how much he practices or has he given you any hints?

So Jenners description of this ball is the "Finger flicking Googly" Top spin and breaks like an off-spin ball. The continuing issue here is one of semantics when Jenner says Flicking are we to assume he really means 'Clicking'?

How on earth did you get Jenners email address?

You'll be emailing Warne next Macca?!

I'll have to look at Jenners hand to hand flick and see how much he rips it. I'm considering filming a clip for the Blog showing the Philpott hand to hand and hand to chest techniques by way of improving the leg-spin info. So it'll be interesting to see how it compares?

No he mixes his deliveries up. I reckon he probably bowls Top-spinners and Leg Breaks which come into to your nuts mainly and the rare wrong un that goes away from you.

someblokecalleddave;348880 said:
I can testify to the fact that that it is possible to turn the hand 180 degrees and click the fingers flipper style to produce a ball that spins in a Top spinner manner. The view the bat would see would be the side of the hand in the style of a karate chop and as you click the fingers your thumb would be facing you. I'm not saying that it's easy because it's not and I've injured myself trying to do it last week and I've now got to not bowl by the feels of it for a couple of weeks (Sod you Macca with your Clarrie Grimmet secret ball)! anyway that aside it sounds as though Saddo has got it? Are you really bowling this ball Saddo because it's pulled a major tendon or muscle in the underside of my forearm and it's causing me problems with my bowling and I'm going to have to ease up for a week and see if it correctes itself. It's a difficult ball to bowl I reckon.

I am sorry for the problems you have. I myself have been hobbling with knee pain for a few months on and off but stiil try to jog 17 miles a week. This might explain why my pivot is weak as it stresses my left knee. Any how I am not sure if I do it right. I seem to get fast turn like a ggogly/offbreak as I said before. The problem is I do not know whether I chuck it. I find it difficult to keep my elbow straight.

I thought you had a match today or was it rained off

someblokecalleddave;348672 said:
I'll have to look at Jenners hand to hand flick and see how much he rips it. I'm considering filming a clip for the Blog showing the Philpott hand to hand and hand to chest techniques by way of improving the leg-spin info. So it'll be interesting to see how it compares?

No he mixes his deliveries up. I reckon he probably bowls Top-spinners and Leg Breaks which come into to your nuts mainly and the rare wrong un that goes away from you.

Yes that would be very interesting. In IPL I also saw Mishra(an indian leggie) and warne perform what i think is the backward flick/backspinning legbreak/hand to chest. It is very different to what i thought it would look like. You have to see it to understan as it is difficult to put in words. But there they really spin it. Much more than in the hand to hand. I do not know if I can say this but I see some match** on p2p sites.

I am sorry for the nuts.Thank god he is not a fast bowler.

someblokecalleddave;348881 said:
So Jenners description of this ball is the "Finger flicking Googly" Top spin and breaks like an off-spin ball. The continuing issue here is one of semantics when Jenner says Flicking are we to assume he really means 'Clicking'?

Yes he will soone e mail grimmett at this rate. God bless his soul.

sadspinner;348671 said:
So he uses mainly topspin. From your website it looks like he is the biggest wicket taker. Does he tell you how much he practices or has he given you any hints?

Yeah he holds the record which he took last year, but he does bowl at the latter stages 5 onwards generally whereas me and the Wizard get to bowl at the first 4 or 5. I don't know how much he practices but he's about 25 -30 and has played cricket since he was 6 or something, it's all he's ever known and he plays all winter indoors and 3 times a week in the summer if not more. Yeah he's good with coaching and if you ask him stuff he'll tell you generally. I think he likes my enthusiasm and determination to get things right and he's an avid reader of my blog and for all I know this thread?

someblokecalleddave;348674 said:
Yeah he holds the record which he took last year, but he does bowl at the latter stages 5 onwards generally whereas me and the Wizard get to bowl at the first 4 or 5. I don't know how much he practices but he's about 25 -30 and has played cricket since he was 6 or something, it's all he's ever known and he plays all winter indoors and 3 times a week in the summer if not more. Yeah he's good with coaching and if you ask him stuff he'll tell you generally. I think he likes my enthusiasm and determination to get things right and he's an avid reader of my blog and for all I know this thread?

That would be great. Maybe a hint to join in the discussion?

I never noticed that Jenner had a contact option on his blog I'll have to have a look. Yeah it rained all morning and then at 12.10 hrs as predicted by the BBC weather the sky cleared and it was blue sky and sunshine but blustery, but the other team where travelling down from Cambridgeshire (80 Miles +) so at 11.00 they rang and said call it off. I went over to the local field for an impromptu game and they'd obviously cancelled their game as well.

The arm's painful so I'm going to rest it as much as I can, but it may be Macca's Flipper or it could just be the fact that I'm bowling proper Leg Breaks now and i'm using all the levers and therefore new muscles. I'll have to see how it goes.

Neil - if you're out there (and you Wizard) join in with some comments even if you post them during the day to give us old blokes something to mull over or try?

someblokecalleddave;348881 said:

Jenners email address is on his blogsite, and he answered me in less than 24 hours. If Jenner were to study Grimmetts book he would work it out and probably would bring it up in his next conversation with Warnie, I am surprised that I got such quick and sincere response from both men, Mallett in particular was influenced by Bradman, who tried to answer all his mail, even though he recieved on average hunreds of letters a day! The post master had to set up a virtual seperate post office in Bradmans area just to handle his mail.

In the games you played what would you say is roughly the average percentage of legiies compared to fast, medium paced bowlers and offies?

I was going to mention how I know of a couple of blokes who have managed to bowl it, dave and gundalf, but I was trying to be brief, but will mention it if I hear from him again.
Have you got a clip of you bowling it Dave? I could have linked it to my question, I sent both men plate 14 but maybe they did not open the file. The photo is conclusive ,it was either an overspinner or a giant hoax. Grimmetts training as a signwriter ( man of letters in a sense) would have seen him cast a keen eye over the final draft so I rule out it being a mistake.

I'm out of here - it's been a busy night tonight on here, I've quite enjoyed the conversations. See you later.

Generally in the games I play there's two Right arm leggies and Neil. This game Sunday with 4 of us is the first time ever there's been four.

If you give me a week or so to recover from the last attempts at bowling it because I think it's pulled muscles or tendons in my arm. Turning your wrist inwards like that and bringing the arm over in that manner seemingly uses muscles that are not used ever it seems! But in the name of wrist spin experimentation if I recover I'll try it. I'm not surprised that Jenner says he could only do it over a short distance! Gundalf could you do this - you're the young 'un on here with the flexible muscles and a faster recovery potential!

On another earlier subject with EOW here's my footfall positions through my rotation roatation+2.jpg (image) for an explanation have a look at my blog Wrist Spin Bowling but I think you were on about something else - maybe the foot at the initial position 'A'?

I just looked at Jenners blog and the email link - I can't believe I missed that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back