Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

10 overs? What format are your games -is that a fifty over game? They change the rules and formats year on year here in between different leagues. The current format I play in is 40 overs and no-one is allowed to bowl over 8 overs. Several years ago, one bowler could have bowled 25 over from one end in a 50 over game. Do you play your games over 1 day, as I seem to recall I saw a format where each team bowled 25 overs each on a Saturday and then 25 overs the following day - does that sound right or have I got that round my neck?

Nope, just a standard 50 over match, all in 1 day 10 overs max per bowler.

The lower grades play 40, but where I’m at we do 50.

You're absolutely right with Batters, that bowl a bit of off-spin. Maybe it is a cultural thing, you've had top class leggies almost every decade, where as if you were to ask me about other English Leggies before Adil Rashid, yeah I'm struggling. But Aussies Benaud, Grimmett, MacGill, the little bloke in short format cricket who bowled left arm wrist spin, his name will come to me in a minute, Terry Jenner, Peter Philpott, Beau Casson, The ginger bloke, Brad Hogg, just remembered! Bruce Doolan, Bill O'Reilly and Cec Pepper come to mind. The ginger bloke is new, can't remember his name for the moment.

Loyd Pope?

Yeah lol, not well known - noone really watches the sheffield shield. Do people watch county games much Dave?

Do you watch Shield Leggy?

Have you seen any of Hamish McKenzie’s bowling?

Left arm leggy and he’s fairly flat but gets a very solid amount of turn on the ball, has a equally turning wrong’un on him as well. Seems dangerous.

Also Pope hasn’t even played a shield match for ages haha.

Been bowling a really nice pace in the nets, a little faster than I have before but I’m getting a lot of top spin on the ball so it’s dipping nicely.

I’ve also been bowling around the wicket and I’ve found people are trying to cut me if I land it anywhere outside off stump, which is fine because I’m turning it back in and they were getting a lot of bottom edges.

Was also all over one dude that’s not the best player of spin and got him through the gate at least 3 times.

I’ve also started to really like bowling the odd ball with a scrambled seam, it really seems to get one to skid on a bit more if they’re sitting back on me and occasionally spins a considerable amount more than usual.

Do you watch Shield Leggy?

Have you seen any of Hamish McKenzie’s bowling?

Left arm leggy and he’s fairly flat but gets a very solid amount of turn on the ball, has a equally turning wrong’un on him as well. Seems dangerous.

Also Pope hasn’t even played a shield match for ages haha.

Yeah I watch the sheffield shield regularly, but no I haven't seen any of Hamish McKenzie. I'll have to tune into NSW's second innings in the match today.

Been bowling a really nice pace in the nets, a little faster than I have before but I’m getting a lot of top spin on the ball so it’s dipping nicely.

I’ve also been bowling around the wicket and I’ve found people are trying to cut me if I land it anywhere outside off stump, which is fine because I’m turning it back in and they were getting a lot of bottom edges.

Was also all over one dude that’s not the best player of spin and got him through the gate at least 3 times.

I’ve also started to really like bowling the odd ball with a scrambled seam, it really seems to get one to skid on a bit more if they’re sitting back on me and occasionally spins a considerable amount more than usual.

Nice, yeah I would be that guy that tries to cut you - my main strategy is to play spinners off the back foot. I need to develop either a sweep shot or using the feet because if it's not short, I can't hit good spinners. So yeah, that scrambled seam ball would probably get me.

Yeah lol, not well known - noone really watches the sheffield shield. Do people watch county games much Dave?
Nah not really too busy playing. I rarely go and watch live cricket, if anything I make an effort to watch England Women as they tend to aways get a fixture up my way - Chelmsford, Essex and it's good to see the internationals and I'm a big fan of Women's cricket as well. I'll sometimes watch a bit on-line if I'm working at home - Essex County games - have it on in the background.

" Was also all over one dude that’s not the best player of spin and got him through the gate at least 3 times" that'll be me! 😂 I've had finger spinners bowl me 5 or 6 times in succession in the nets!

Nice, yeah I would be that guy that tries to cut you - my main strategy is to play spinners off the back foot. I need to develop either a sweep shot or using the feet because if it's not short, I can't hit good spinners. So yeah, that scrambled seam ball would probably get me.
Sweep shots been my go to shot this passed season - made a big difference coming in at No.11. Historically, I've always tried to be cautious and tried to hang around and see out the overs trying to get the other bloke on strike, but have come to realise I'm selling myself short. At the end of the season before I though B*******s I'm just gonna have a go and paid off a couple of times - got a few runs before one of got out. So this year that's been my ethos, to the point where we've been rolled over by massively superior teams, I've come out of the game being top scorer or in the top 3 a good few times. Just need to do it and beat my PB which is about 36 - a 50 would be good before I get too old!

Sweep shots been my go to shot this passed season - made a big difference coming in at No.11. Historically, I've always tried to be cautious and tried to hang around and see out the overs trying to get the other bloke on strike, but have come to realise I'm selling myself short. At the end of the season before I though B*******s I'm just gonna have a go and paid off a couple of times - got a few runs before one of got out. So this year that's been my ethos, to the point where we've been rolled over by massively superior teams, I've come out of the game being top scorer or in the top 3 a good few times. Just need to do it and beat my PB which is about 36 - a 50 would be good before I get too old!

I hate bowling to people that can sweep well because it’s so hard to set a field to imo.

It’s also annoying to deal with on synthetic because there’s no variable bounce.

After a rough few games this season it’s starting to come together.

Took 3-7 off 2.3 overs last week to tidy up the tail.

Start playing T20s for a bit as of today. Which is quite nice because it’s been touching 40 degrees in Perth this week.

It’s going to be interesting because I’ll be using my carrom ball and arm ball way more than usual.

I’ll probably also bowl around the wicket so it’s harder to just slog over cow corner.

I hate bowling to people that can sweep well because it’s so hard to set a field to imo.

It’s also annoying to deal with on synthetic because there’s no variable bounce.
Yeah you're right, I never get away with it for long as I'm not that good at it and usually the change up in pace or length gets me LBW, but while I'm there it's probably the only shot I've got that'll get me a boundary.

After a rough few games this season it’s starting to come together.

Took 3-7 off 2.3 overs last week to tidy up the tail.

Start playing T20s for a bit as of today. Which is quite nice because it’s been touching 40 degrees in Perth this week.

It’s going to be interesting because I’ll be using my carrom ball and arm ball way more than usual.

I’ll probably also bowl around the wicket so it’s harder to just slog over cow corner.
Just realised you've only got another 4 weeks and it's mid - summer, Jeez - that came round quick! Good to hear it's coming together. Are all your games on synthetic?

Yeah you're right, I never get away with it for long as I'm not that good at it and usually the change up in pace or length gets me LBW, but while I'm there it's probably the only shot I've got that'll get me a boundary.

Apart from a drag down that I can cut or pull my only consistent scoring shot is a slog sweep.

I’ve been practicing for the T20s and I can actually paddle sweep and reverse paddle sweep VERY consistently.

Because I’m fairly tall I find it very easy to step out and get my bat to the ball before it even hits the ground.

Just realised you've only got another 4 weeks and it's mid - summer, Jeez - that came round quick! Good to hear it's coming together. Are all your games on synthetic?

Yeah except for 1 game where we played on a hybrid pitch. It’s made like a turf pitch but all the grass is actually synthetic material.

The pitch played really well, only problem was that they had one of the best batters in the entire A grade competition playing down in C grade.

I got carted because he’s just better than me and I got dragged after 2 overs.

Yeah can’t wait for mid summer cricket. That being said it’s still sprint and I’m playing in 40 degree heat lol.

Back