Wrist Spin Bowling (part Five)

Apart from a drag down that I can cut or pull my only consistent scoring shot is a slog sweep.

I’ve been practicing for the T20s and I can actually paddle sweep and reverse paddle sweep VERY consistently.

Because I’m fairly tall I find it very easy to step out and get my bat to the ball before it even hits the ground.
Yeah I like paddle sweep as well, that's neat little shot, only really feel confident with that shot against Leggies and over here, they're as rare as Rocking horse pooh, so rarely get to give it a go. Just on Google maps now looking at the satellite shots of cricket grounds in Perth, looks hot! Don't know when these were shot - but it's wall to wall blue sky. Look at my temp in the bottom left hand corner! Screenshot 2023-11-25 005337.png

Yeah I like paddle sweep as well, that's neat little shot, only really feel confident with that shot against Leggies and over here, they're as rare as Rocking horse pooh, so rarely get to give it a go. Just on Google maps now looking at the satellite shots of cricket grounds in Perth, looks hot! Don't know when these were shot - but it's wall to wall blue sky. Look at my temp in the bottom left hand corner!View attachment 2311

Hahaha 1C is a little cooler lol.

The worst ground I’ve played on for heat is this one:
bb42ecbbe884746c1ef4f35268f2ce9b.jpg

Usually around Perth you rely on the sea breeze (westerly) to bring some cold air off the ocean and cool you off. This ground is slightly inland and has a big old hill blocking any of that wind.

What’s more is that the whole inside of Australia is a desert. So when you get an Easterly (in WA) it’s hot and dry, shitty, opened-the-oven-with-your-face-too-close kind of wind.

Even better is the ground is lower than the rest of the surrounding landscape so the hot air blows in and just sits there.

It’s an actual microwave.

I’ll also add its 9:10am here and 27.3C.

2 days ago it’s was 34C at 7pm.

It’s not even summer yet. Real fun.

I am glad I live in Perth though because it’s so much easier to deal with dry heat than humid heat (for me at least). I have cousins up in Darwin and I’ve only been up there late autumn and it’s still muggy as. Actually I think I went up in summer once and it really is not fun.

It’s almost impossible to keep yourself hydrated and you’re just wet, always.

Hahaha 1C is a little cooler lol.

The worst ground I’ve played on for heat is this one:
bb42ecbbe884746c1ef4f35268f2ce9b.jpg

Usually around Perth you rely on the sea breeze (westerly) to bring some cold air off the ocean and cool you off. This ground is slightly inland and has a big old hill blocking any of that wind.

What’s more is that the whole inside of Australia is a desert. So when you get an Easterly (in WA) it’s hot and dry, shitty, opened-the-oven-with-your-face-too-close kind of wind.

Even better is the ground is lower than the rest of the surrounding landscape so the hot air blows in and just sits there.

It’s an actual microwave.
I can't even imagine, how that would be. We had our heat records here broken summer 2021, it was 38c -39c for a period of about 5 or 6 days, dropping to 35c over night. That was tough for us, our houses are not set up for that. Playing in it was OK just the once - bit of a novelty in a way - loads of drinks, sun cream and wide brimmed hats and where I am the grounds are open, so there were breezes.

I’ll also add its 9:10am here and 27.3C.

2 days ago it’s was 34C at 7pm.

It’s not even summer yet. Real fun.

I am glad I live in Perth though because it’s so much easier to deal with dry heat than humid heat (for me at least). I have cousins up in Darwin and I’ve only been up there late autumn and it’s still muggy as. Actually I think I went up in summer once and it really is not fun.

It’s almost impossible to keep yourself hydrated and you’re just wet, always.
Yeah our hot week was dry. But we had some muggy hot days this summer - much lower 25c and that wasn't pleasant.

I can't even imagine, how that would be. We had our heat records here broken summer 2021, it was 38c -39c for a period of about 5 or 6 days, dropping to 35c over night. That was tough for us, our houses are not set up for that. Playing in it was OK just the once - bit of a novelty in a way - loads of drinks, sun cream and wide brimmed hats and where I am the grounds are open, so there were breezes.

Honestly because it’s so dry here the main problem is sunburn lol.

I’ve heard that heatwave that you had just felt really shit because it’d be a lot more humid.

Also cricket whites keep you amazingly cool. I’ll be cooking in my normal clothes and I’ll change into my whites and actually be completely fine.

Also a dry 40 is definitely WAY better than even a slightly humid 35. You notice when you’re dehydrated in dry heat too. I always have issues in humid places with not drinking enough.

hi I am a young leg spinner I can bowl the top spinner and the side spinner. I cannot bowl the big leg spin can someone send me some tips

If you’re trying to get it to turn big then you want to bowl it with the seam facing towards gully.

Like this \ rather than a topspinner (|) or a side spinner (-).

You’d think a side spinner would turn the most but you actually need a little bit of top spin so that it can grip the pitch better.

Also genuinely just try to spin the ball as hard as you possibly can and work on accuracy after that, although some people would suggest that you just focus on being accurate, which his perfectly fine opinion.

If you’re trying to get it to turn big then you want to bowl it with the seam facing towards gully.

Like this \ rather than a topspinner (|) or a side spinner (-).

You’d think a side spinner would turn the most but you actually need a little bit of top spin so that it can grip the pitch better.

Also genuinely just try to spin the ball as hard as you possibly can and work on accuracy after that, although some people would suggest that you just focus on being accurate, which his perfectly fine opinion.
the back of the hand should face mid wicket right?

We set 133 in the T20 today and bowled them out for 47 lol.

I bowled the 2nd last over of the match and took 0-1(1). Also took 1 catch. Didn’t bat.

I was really fizzing them down though.

I’m getting super frustrated at how much bounce I get though lol. I landed one on 6th stump that dragged the batsman forward, turned back through the gate, and went about 2ft over the stumps.

I’m going to start putting someone at short leg/batpad for the 2nd half of the one-day season.

Btw here is the live stream from my game on sunday:
Lately I have been bowling alright, but still have the 1-2 balls per over that let me down, so I usually take myself out of the attack pretty quickly. Do you guys see anything troublesome in my action that is causing drag downs/full tosses or any other general comments about my bowling? I start bowling at 4:16:35, bowl 2 overs, then bowl one more over at 5:30:18. Have only took 5 wickets in like 9 games though, so definitely want to turn my season around.

Also if you are interested in seeing my batting, starts at 15:34 and my best shot is at 36:18.

Have only took 5 wickets in like 9 games though, so definitely want to turn my season around.

Keep working and improving and you’ll get there.

My season so far:

0/39(6)
0/51(9)
0/23(2)
1/0(0.1)
0/29(2) (bully playing way lower than he should be)
3/7(2.4)
0/1(1) (bowled them out for 49 after my 1 over)

In my first 3 games I conceded 113 runs for no wicket. In my last 4 (including the one where I got carted for 29 off my 2 wicket less overs, I’ve averaged 9.25.

You’ll get your wickets, i feel like it’s kinda the life of a spinner, you can bowl your heart out and get no reward and then you’ll just start suddenly taking wickets lol.

I’m at work so I’ll watch your stream during lunch.

Btw here is the live stream from my game on sunday:
Lately I have been bowling alright, but still have the 1-2 balls per over that let me down, so I usually take myself out of the attack pretty quickly. Do you guys see anything troublesome in my action that is causing drag downs/full tosses or any other general comments about my bowling? I start bowling at 4:16:35, bowl 2 overs, then bowl one more over at 5:30:18. Have only took 5 wickets in like 9 games though, so definitely want to turn my season around.

Also if you are interested in seeing my batting, starts at 15:34 and my best shot is at 36:18.

2nd over - the RH skewed it, was that dropped in the field?

Back