2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

Diamond Creek were 5/14, then 9/86 chasing 148 and they get the job done against Rosanna. Wow. Huge effort by Mick Hanson batting at 10 (45*) and Campitelli batting at 11 (19*)

With the competition being so competitive at the top of the table, I wonder if that loss is going to come back to haunt them later in the year.
Funny game cricket.

At one point Rosanna were 1/98, Diamond Creek were 9/86 and won!

With so many low scores we might as well just play one dayers. With the final demise of Saturday morning junior cricket, we could even start earlier and play 45 over matches.

I know its only early in the season, but if your just counting season games then Epping have won 9 in a row going back to last season. does anyone rate them? they seem to be going along real nice atm.

I know its only early in the season, but if your just counting season games then Epping have won 9 in a row going back to last season. does anyone rate them? they seem to be going along real nice atm.

Well balanced side, got a bit of everything. Not as many stars as some other sides.

Well lead and will probably pinch one of the other 2 remaining finals spots after Creek and Riverside.

Will be looking for 10 points this week surely.

Other end of the ladder is where it's going to get real interesting.

Last edited:
Well balanced side, got a bit of everything. Not as many stars as some other sides.

Well lead and will probably pinch one of the other 2 remaining finals spots after Creek and Riverside.

Will be looking for 10 points this week surely.

Other end of the ladder is where it's going to get real interesting.
Good even team rate them in the 3-5 mark with likes of Research, Macleod.

Brutal low scoring up at Research? Burton v Macleod next week for the pts by the looks

Good even team rate them in the 3-5 mark with likes of Research, Macleod.

Brutal low scoring up at Research? Burton v Macleod next week for the pts by the looks
Apart from a couple of exceptions, low scores seem to be the norm these days. Probably need to see batsmen play a bit more positive cricket, rather than fall into the trap of letting bowlers dictate the game. Toms pretty determined to get us across the line and I'm sure Tim Wise is just as determined otherwise, so we'll see who has bragging rights at the end.

Apart from a couple of exceptions, low scores seem to be the norm these days. Probably need to see batsmen play a bit more positive cricket, rather than fall into the trap of letting bowlers dictate the game. Toms pretty determined to get us across the line and I'm sure Tim Wise is just as determined otherwise, so we'll see who has bragging rights at the end.

I think most teams are stuck in the rut of simply going through the motions with regards to batting practice. Clubs that find a way to improve their batting practice to the point where players are actually challenged at training, rather than just turning up and slogging a few out of the park, will go far. That said, I think we're still in the phase of simply throwing money at the problem and buying bowlers.

I think most teams are stuck in the rut of simply going through the motions with regards to batting practice. Clubs that find a way to improve their batting practice to the point where players are actually challenged at training, rather than just turning up and slogging a few out of the park, will go far. That said, I think we're still in the phase of simply throwing money at the problem and buying bowlers.

I think players are looking for excuses blaming the pitches, why is it never a drama when big runs are scored? its just the way it is....a bit like brutals match reports that only come about after a win

It makes me sad to say this but thats never going to happen, in either department batting, bowling or fielding. You never learn anything at training in club cricket, its just about rocking up having a hit, have a trundle etc. I do think bowling dominates overall is because batting is a lot more technical than bowling, and not enough is being done to improve the batsmen's technique at grass roots level.

Last edited:
It makes me sad to say this but thats never going to happen, in either department batting, bowling or fielding. You never learn anything at training in club cricket, its just about rocking up having a hit, have a trundle etc. I do think bowling dominates overall is because batting is a lot more technical than bowling, and not enough is being done to improve the batsmen's technique at grass roots level.

It might just be me, but I find bowling a lot more technical than batting. Hitting the pitch is a massive issue for me personally.

I agree and disagree with this statement. Found training to be really good this year. After many many years of mediocre training.

The difference is the off field set up. More coaches, and different coaches. Its hard to get the right candidates, as you need a of the experience, knowledge and personality and then to put people in the right roles. We've got that right at the moment and I hope its a blue print for the future. Playing group has been behind it, and attendances are up at a result across both nights allowing people to be more focused in what they work on during training.

When you have poor numbers you're often stuck running a cpl of nets all night, then slapping some fielding training on in fading light at the end. Its puss.

To be honest, looking at results across the comp over the years, I think its nearly always been a relatively low scoring comp.

The ushering in of the all weather pitches probably made it harder to score, and probably the way people bat hasn't changed as a result of pitch changes where maybe it should have. That being said, so what? I don't think it makes the competition any worse/better. My favourite wins/games are a mix of some big chases, and games where we defended low totals.

Perhaps we just need to be readjusting expectations, maybe a 250 run year is a really solid season.

I think players are looking for excuses blaming the pitches, why is it never a drama when big runs are scored? its just the way it is....a bit like brutals match reports that only come about after a win
Been a while. Just had your privileges returned have you? Thanks for thinking of me though:thumbsu:

Speaking as a batsman, I think you're wrong about it never going to happen, clubs just need the will to make it happen. It's as simple as utilising one or two bowling machines and organising the bowlers a little better. I bet every club in this competition could improve the quality of their batting practice overnight if they really wanted to.

Been a while. Just had your privileges returned have you? Thanks for thinking of me though:thumbsu:

didnt lose any privileges, (maybe i should have!) have been o/s on hols....still a relevant issue, why dont you post match reports when you lose?
or is just all one way with you?

truth be told, i enjoy reading them, i wish there were more reports....hard to get much info anywhere these days, the dvca media report is made up dribble, some details from people at the games is always good

didnt lose any privileges, (maybe i should have!) have been o/s on hols....still a relevant issue, why dont you post match reports when you lose?
or is just all one way with you?

truth be told, i enjoy reading them, i wish there were more reports....hard to get much info anywhere these days, the dvca media report is made up dribble, some details from people at the games is always good

mate, reading some of ur past posts on this forum i wouldnt be accusing anyone else of being one way.

Back