2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

interesting finish coming up... top 6 teams in contention for top 4 - bottom 6 teams in contention for bottom 3...

# TEAM ............... PTS ......... still to play ....f/cast
.............................................. R10 .... R11...... pts
1 Diamond Creek....53...........MC..... BU......... .65
2 Macleod ..............49..........DC.......MER........55
3 Epping................ 33......... OP........PY......... 45

4 Lower Eltham..........33..........ROS..... RIV........ 39
5 Riverside............. 27......... MER...... LE........ 39
6 O.P/St Francis........ 27...........EP....... ROS....... 33
7 Res. Elth Coll....... 24.......... BU ...... UB ......24-36
8 Rosanna ............. 21.......... LE........OP.........21
9 Bundoora United... 21....... PLY.......RES.......21-33
10 Bundoora............ 18........RES...... DC....... 18-24

11 Mernda................ 15....... RIV...... MC....... 15
12 Plenty................. .15.......UB.........EP........15

Great finish to the year in the top 4, with LE & Riv playing each other round 11 i reckon to decide 4th place. Both should win this week.
Riv with superior % are my tip... but if L.E can make 130 then game on.
The top 3 should win enough games with a favourable draw to stay there.
O.P, with a good %, still a mathematical chance if they can win last 2...

The bottom six is where it gets interesting.
Plenty & Mernda are done. Due to poor %, both need to win 2 games now to stay up.

Bundoora in the 3rd hotseat. United & Rosanna not out of the woods yet.
All 3 would say they have a chance in at least one of the remaining games in the last 2.
If 8,9 & 10 could each pinch one win, then Research still need to win one more to stay up...

Good luck to all....

Last edited:
Im hearing the same things . Massive news if true. Shakes up the relegation battle for some other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting with the Bun Utd situation that Both Rosanna and Mernda have been adjusted to maximum(10) points from their games. Obviously the games v Bun Utd have been deemed as forfeited and as there was outright results in these 2 rounds, max points have been awarded. Not sure if I agree with this. Any thoughts?

So what exactly has occurred for bun utd to be sitting last with minus 7 points ?
Ineligible player is the only thing I can think of.
Bundoora going to miss relegation by the skin of their teeth again ......

So what exactly has occurred for bun utd to be sitting last with minus 7 points ?
Ineligible player is the only thing I can think of.
Bundoora going to miss relegation by the skin of their teeth again ......
I'll preface this by saying I don't claim this be the exact state of affairs, but this is what I've been told. I'm a fan of the Bun Utd boys and their club and it gives me no pleasure in hearing what happened and the the subsequent fallout. Yes it was ineligible player. A player was registered and had played in 2 seperate Saturday comps without I'm assuming the necessary clearances. From what I've been told the player in question was registered in the non DVCA comp under a variation of his DVCA registered name and with a different birth date. Thus he had 2 seperate ID numbers. Apparently the DVCA had heard rumours regarding this and decided to investigate, hence the revelations of past couple of days. Allegedly Bun Utd and individuals may not have been aware of this at first but when aware, it is to be alleged that they tried to cover it up. Problem being too many knew about it and one person in particular was telling all and sundry, including those involved at DVCA level what exactly had occurred. If the gissed of the above is correct and rules of eligibility have not been adhered to, then obviously actions and penalties are justified. One thing I and others I've spoken to are concerned about is the subsequent adjustment of points in some cases. I think in the case of games that Bun Utd had won with ineligible player, result and point reversal is the correct method. However I and others disagree with rewarding of maximum points in the case of Bun Utd game v Rosanna who went from zero points to 10 and Mernda who went from 6 to 10 due that being the maximum points due to and outright result occurring in those rounds. I think that when something like this occurs you need to make sure that the offending club is punished and the clubs they have played against are compensated appropriately. In my opinion and I think some others, by giving maximum points it has unfairly impacted on other clubs who as it turns out just happened to play them in a round that maximum points were not available or due to the draw not "fortunate" enough to have played them prior to this coming out. I know the exec and others will say "but this is the rule", however in the past the exec has not gone by the letter of the rule by saying "this was not its intention and the exec chooses to use its discretionary powers". Anyway, others will have an opinion, but in the meantime it's a sorry state of affairs with much more to play out unfortunately.

To play devils advocate here Brutal. I get that you and others don't agree with the allocation of outright points, but are they and you just complaining because they've been affected by this decision, i.e. Putting your boys closer to the red zone?

Would your sentiments be the same had Research been a beneficiary of extra points? Honest question.

To play devils advocate here Brutal. I get that you and others don't agree with the allocation of outright points, but are they and you just complaining because they've been affected by this decision, i.e. Putting your boys closer to the red zone?

Would your sentiments be the same had Research been a beneficiary of extra points? Honest question.
Yes my sentiments would be the same. OPSF, Bundoora and Rosanna lost 6 points and with a result reversal should receive 6 points. I have no problem with that whatsoever. I think giving Rosanna the extra 4 points unfairly impacts other clubs when you could argue rather confidently and dare I say logically given the game as it was played, that no outright result was on the cards in the first place. In the Mernda scenario, they beat BU fair and square but through good fortune happen to play in a round with an outright result. Extra 4 points and instead of needing to win both games, perhaps only need to win one. Plenty are playing BU this round and RECCC play them last round and yes both of our clubs are disadvantaged in that we will not get the same points advantage that Mernda and Rosanna have got v BU unless we physically win outright and get the 10 points that Rosanna and Mernda have been gifted. So in short our seasons have been compromised to an extent and a club like Riversides and Lower Elthams is also compromised with Rosanna gaining extra points. As I said previously the DVCA have a history of following the letter of the rule when it suits and using "Executive discretion" to justify when they don't. In light of what occurred perhaps they should have informed BU of the investigation, instructed them not to play offending player, then thoroughly thought through the process. As I've also said it's an unsavoury situation and unfortunately some otherwise very good people are not going to come out of this very well, which is not a good thing for anyone.

Unprecedented situation really. Hard to know what option seems 'fair' to all
As I said I don't have a problem with result/points reversal but in discussion with others, perhaps the only further option was for BU to be stripped of and given penalty points with no allocation of points to other clubs. That way it would not impact on any other clubs fighting for finals and those in the drop zone are moreorless in the same position points wise as they were, with none gaining a points advantage to detriment of anyone else. Someone can refresh my mind, but what occurred when Melbourne Storm played for no points?

Brutal that's irrelevant, you don't have outright wins in the NRL. Whilst I know (first hand) the DVCA like making up their own rules at times, this time they've followed them. I highly doubt you'd be as passionate about it if it helped your boys into the 4, or out of the red zone.

It's unlucky for some, it extremely lucky for others, but reality is you should've won more games if you want to stay up.

Out of curiosity, you said earlier they got caught trying to cover it up. How did they try to do that? Would've thought that'd be pretty hard?

Brutal that's irrelevant, you don't have outright wins in the NRL. Whilst I know (first hand) the DVCA like making up their own rules at times, this time they've followed them. I highly doubt you'd be as passionate about it if it helped your boys into the 4, or out of the red zone.

It's unlucky for some, it extremely lucky for others, but reality is you should've won more games if you want to stay up.

Out of curiosity, you said earlier they got caught trying to cover it up. How did they try to do that? Would've thought that'd be pretty hard?

Surely there's more to play out, pretty harsh penalty for what seems like an administrative error from an outsider looking in....

So you ask an honest question then intimate that i haven't given an honest response? Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave;). My reference to the NRL was in regards to what happened to the points they won prior to having them stripped and copping the other penalties. So our exec are in the business of dishing out luck are they? They should either stick by their rules or embrace the right to be flexible and use common sense. I prefer organisations that consult and are open to the latter, because it doesn't matter what rule you put in place there will always be a circumstance that wasn't envisaged. As to how did they try to cover it up? I wouldn't know but perhaps in a way we all do when we make an error of judgement or a mistake, by saying as little or nothing at all and hope no one finds out. Not the most convincing method but often the most popular. Anyway mate we'll do our best to win the last 2 games and judging by your cynicism I'll go quiet and won't be heard on this matter again:thumbsu:

Don't go quiet mate, not having a dig it's a healthy discussion on a topic that's got people divided. I always respect your views, hence why I asked you.

I just know that if I was in your shoes i'd be filthy. But if I was in OPSF, I'd be quietly smiling in the background.

Any decision they made was going to have winners and losers.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that I would've made the same decision or handed the same punishment. But at least they're actually following their own rules for once.

Back