2015/2016 Barclay Shield Thread

A Turf in the ECA would, across the board, be a pretty similar standard to Barclay Shield. A few more wily guns getting about in DVCA than ECA's second grade, though.

If it comes to a bidding war, you blokes might have us covered. Especially with the 20k you offers Shan Malone last season. Might have to talk to our college contacts and negotiate something
Na i don't think bidding wars and the go these days,unless in desperate times . Look at you guys for example, paid plenty for the comp medallist but only just avoided relegation. Not that im apart of it anymore but I'd say wanderers approach will differ this year

Have heard that a certain person in a power position at Bundoora has, without the knowledge of the Pres, approached a club just up Grimshaw Street that was hit by a bus (driven by him) this year to join forces. Very poor timing from this person and his cronies, and to do so without backing from the committee is shocking.

Needless to say, doing all of this and scheming behind the back of the club, which just shows the contempt and ugliness that has been rife for many years within the walls of this club.

Na i don't think bidding wars and the go these days,unless in desperate times . Look at you guys for example, paid plenty for the comp medallist but only just avoided relegation. Not that im apart of it anymore but I'd say wanderers approach will differ this year
Avoided relegation by as much as we missed on finals. That type of season. Paying "plenty" can have a variety of definitions. For example when you consider we actually got 2 players for the price of one and next season may be 3 for one, then all of a sudden we didn't pay much at all. So on an economy of scale, we probably did OK on that front. And of course next season as per his contract, the coach should become a player and I think it would be fair to say create a new dynamic with his keeping abilities and at our level, more than a decent bat. We've recruited a young fast bowler (at no expense), apart from me supplying a car. So I'm actually looking forward to a bit more of a settled and proactive season in 2016/17. And what's this about you not being involved at NEW anymore? Are you pulling the pin?

Have heard that a certain person in a power position at Bundoora has, without the knowledge of the Pres, approached a club just up Grimshaw Street that was hit by a bus (driven by him) this year to join forces. Very poor timing from this person and his cronies, and to do so without backing from the committee is shocking.

Needless to say, doing all of this and scheming behind the back of the club, which just shows the contempt and ugliness that has been rife for many years within the walls of this club.
As surprising as this reads, in actual fact I'm not surprised at all considering this guys history. I think I recall a certain person maybe doing a similar thing in order do get another, perhaps bigger merger up a few years back.

We've recruited a young fast bowler (at no expense), apart from me supplying a car

At no expense... except for a car. No worries, I look forward to my club recruiting a gun batsman (at no expense), apart for paying the stamp duty on his home loan. No expense of course.

Payments in local sport are shit if you ask me. Why does Person A deserved to get $10000 a season when they put in the same amount of time and effort as Person B who plays in the A Grade team too?

Person A, you're not some superstar... you're just a plodder playing PARK cricket! You deserve stuff all getting deposited into your bank account!

Last edited:
At no expense... except for a car. No worries, I look forward to my club recruiting a gun batsman (at no expense), apart for paying the stamp duty on his home loan. No expense of course.

Payments in local sport are shit if you ask me. Why does Person A deserved to get $10000 a season when they put in the same amount of time and effort as Person B who plays in the A Grade team too?

Person A, you're not some superstar... you're just a plodder playing PARK cricket! You deserve stuff all getting deposited into your bank account!

They don't, they're simply taking advantage of the situation. I don't mind a few incentives because that's available to everyone (in the 1's side) and most people will have to pay a few bucks to a coach (not that I think they're needed), but if all the clubs simply said no to player payments, it'd sort out loyalties real fast. I've always thought that clubs should look after those who make a real effort in administration and in the day to day operations of the club, because if those aren't done, there'd be no teams.

However, I doubt those things are likely to happen as there's no bragging rights or ego trip in rewarding a loyal club player who works out of sight of most of the club and DVCA, yet recruit some "star" player for xxx thousands and it's seen as prestigious and you can strut around like king s**t.

I wouldn't be comparing stamp duty on a new home with an $800 dollar Toyota Corolla. Probably a bargain really and saves me or public transport making sure he gets to training.

Last edited:
As surprising as this reads, in actual fact I'm not surprised at all considering this guys history. I think I recall a certain person maybe doing a similar thing in order do get another, perhaps bigger merger up a few years back.

No need to be surprised Stu, I can confirm that it is true.
After all that happened to us this season, some would say, through our own fault, those that know, would agree it had a lot to do with this bloke, it was a real kick in the guts.
For him to then contact us, without the knowledge of the current committee, or at least President, stinks of the highest order. Trying to throw it in our face that we NEED them now after what has happened makes us want even more to bounce back as quick as possible.

So let me get this straight.... A couple of days after you received your punishment and were subsequently relegated, someone from another club calls you to basically pick at your rotting corpse (no disrespect) and asks you to merge with them? Surely not?

So let me get this straight.... A couple of days after you received your punishment and were subsequently relegated, someone from another club calls you to basically pick at your rotting corpse (no disrespect) and asks you to merge with them? Surely not?

Someone from the club that started the ball rolling on the investigation and had a massive say in us being handed the actual penalty.
And the word merge would, with the tone of his voice in the conversation, be kind. He was talking takeover.

Someone from the club that started the ball rolling on the investigation and had a massive say in us being handed the actual penalty.
And the word merge would, with the tone of his voice in the conversation, be kind. He was talking takeover.
What's the fallout been on the players side? If you keep the same list, I'd expect you guys to be right amongst in come March.

What's with the drama? I'd have needed only 2 words.

What's the fallout been on the players side? If you keep the same list, I'd expect you guys to be right amongst in come March.

The response from the whole club once the saga unfolded and was discussed has been exceptional, very binding to go through this as a club.

The senior core of 1's players have all recommitted to next season and are very excited about what is ahead.
Hopefully a couple of old school additions and we hope to be very competitive.

Back