3rd Umpire Rises Again?

futureblackcap

Simon Doull raised an interesting idea as a side note during the SA Test series. After talking over a few ideas, he suggested almost jokingly to get rid of the DRS altogether and just give all the power back to the umpires and especially the 3rd umpire.

This would mean that the 3rd umpire would be monitoring no-balls and the likes during games and he'd have the power to tell the on-field umpires that they were wrong after decisions. I think this would be a more efficient system as how it stands at the moment, once reviews are used up...bad decisions still happen. The 3rd umpire would have all the camera angles and camera techniques (snicko, hawkeye etc) so why shouldn't he have more power than the on-field umpires?

Thoughts?

It'd be especially good with no-balls as it would stop wasting time because the umpires would already know it was a no-ball before the on-field umpires have to ask.

They tried that out in the Big Bash last year and it sorta worked when they reversed really obvious stuff but after some controversial decisions right at the start of this season they canned it.

They tried that out in the Big Bash last year and it sorta worked when they reversed really obvious stuff but after some controversial decisions right at the start of this season they canned it.

Okay. I'm sure it'd need a bit of testing before it was perfected though.

The 3rd umpire today Aus v Sri Lanka overturned an edge that made no sound and showed nothing of hot spot.

The 3rd umpire today Aus v Sri Lanka overturned an edge that made no sound and showed nothing of hot spot.
That was a terrible decision. Mark Nicholas later said that the 3rd umpire thought he saw something on Hotspot. They showed the Hotspot vision for a long time and it was clear to me and I am sure many other that there was nothing on the bat.

If the DRS is to be replaced by the 3rd umpire the right decisions need to be made, unlike tonight.

The one that went against the West Indies on Sunday was just as ridiculous, there was no way that hot spot showed that the ball his glove and yet they gave it out.

The thing with handballing everything to the third umpire is that a) it takes weight off the decisions made by the on-field umpires, and b) it won't speed up the process of making close-call decisions. I don't mind the third umpire watching the bowlers' front foot to take that concern away from the standing umpire, but for the many instances where there are millimetres between a legal and illegal delivery and/or the foot slides forward, the third umpire won't be able to make an instantaneous call with absolute certainty; if a wicket gets taken on such a delivery, the situation will be exactly the same as it is now: the third umpire will scrutinise over that front foot.

By the way, the concept of the recently-reported Real-Time Snicko could be a game-changer for the DRS, but the standards and procedures need a little more tweaking.

Back