6 Ashes Test?

Simbazz

6 Ashes Test?

The Ashes 2009 and 2010-11

England not keen on six Ashes Tests

The England & Wales Cricket Board is set to turn down Cricket Australia's push for six Ashes Tests in the 2009 series, and hopes to limit the 2010-11 contest in Australia to five Tests as well. Australia are keen to make the most of what is their most lucrative series at home by adding a Hobart match.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/324652.html

I believe it will just make England look worse than we are away from home, as if 5-0 isn't enough. I'm sure it'll be rejected, would you want 6 tests?

Re: 6 Ashes Test?

Ha ha, you guys are too scared being wooped 6-0 let alone 5-0. Maybe we should play a 1 match series? :D

I'd love six tests. :)

It would be a killer for the players. Its difficult enough to keep fitness over 5 test matches, a sixth would be torture.

Does anyone else realise that a 6th test makes the series even. Which means there is more chance of a draw. It needs to be an odd number so there can be an outright victory!

They used to play 6 tests in England (IIRC) but it was dropped in order to re-arrange the fixtures.

Personally, I think 6 is too many, it can mean as many as 3 dead rubbers which is far too many. For a series of this nature 5 is about the right number. Most other series will suffice with 3 though.

BONED!;244176 said:
Does anyone else realise that a 6th test makes the series even. Which means there is more chance of a draw. It needs to be an odd number so there can be an outright victory!

If the series is evenly decided then whoever won the Ashes in the last series retains them.

BONED!;244176 said:

Then again, there always seems to be at least 1 drawn test in a series (especially in England). So if there's an odd number of tests in a series - one draw makes it more likely that that the series will be drawn.

I think 6 is 1 too many. The best team should prevail over 5 tests, but if there`s enough money in it I can see there being 6 tests.

Palley;266123 said:
I think 6 is 1 too many. The best team should prevail over 5 tests, but if there`s enough money in it I can see there being 6 tests.

There is enough money no doubt about that, but will the crowds go to the games? Everyone could see it happening 3-0 and the 4th, 5th and 6th tests (other then the first few days) will have some pretty poor crowds

It always used to be 6 tests whenever the aussies went over to England to play the poms in the Ashes. Seems a little too long. But those of us who have known of this in the past are used to the 6 tests against the poms.
They stopped having 6 tests 8 years ago.

I don't think after Australia lose both in India and in the next English summer that the Board will be clamouring for a 6 test series..

This is a team in decline. Even the bookmakers are starting to take notice.

Back