7 Ways to start improving your cricket today

mas cambios

7 Ways to start improving your cricket today

Here is an unfashionable thing to say: It takes a long time to get good at playing cricket. A really long time. We live in a world of internet experts claiming instant success in anything you want, but when it comes to leather and willow there are no shortcuts. So should we all just pack it in?

Most people do. The majority give up long before they get close to logging enough hours to be considered competent. It's not about willpower, it's more that they don't know what to do to get the best from themselves. The good news is you can learn these things easily and start applying them to you own game. This will significantly cut down the time it takes to success and improve your chances of getting there with some core knowledge.

Think of these tips as your quick start guide to the rest of your cricket career, starting today.

• Set goals you can control. Most people know how to set goals these days. What we often miss when we set these aims is a controllable aspect. You might like to score 1000 runs this summer but what if the weather, good bowling and bad luck intervene? Instead aim for goals that you have total control over. Aim to learn a new shot in the winter, develop a good bowling variation, improve your strength or eat well instead, all things you can control.

• Eat well every day. There is so much conflicting knowledge about food and nutrition no wonder we are all confused as to what is best. But nutrition is incredibly important in performing well on the pitch. A good diet has been proven in sport science research to make you healthier, stronger, leaner, more focused and energised. Take time to learn the 10 habits of good nutrition.

• Know your priorities. Celebrated physical therapist Gray Cook has worked with many top athletes. He knows that complex skills (like cricket technique) is based on a solid grounding in movement skills and muscular strength. Most cricketers work on skill first before building the foundation. Learn to move, get strong then improve your technique.

• Progress slowly but surely. It's easy to get down if you are not making progress, but cricket skills are like an egg. It might seem like nothing is happening but on the inside massive changes are happening. Then one day the egg breaks open and you can see the changes. While you wait for the egg to crack, keep working towards your goals and you can't go wrong.

• Visualise success. Brain scientists have proven that your nervous system can’t tell the difference between success on the pitch in real life and success you have imagined. In other words, just by imagining that you have scored a hundred increases your chances of scoring that hundred! This isn’t wishy-washy new age rubbish. All it takes is a few minutes a day imagining past success and thinking how it would feel to succeed in the future.

• Never stop learning. There is always more to learn in cricket than you know now. I have been coaching for over a decade and still learn new things every week. The more you know the better you can make your game so read up on everything you can, talk to as many canny old pros as possible and play, play, play under pressure.

• Quality over quantity. According the the late Bob Woolmer, it takes about 10,000 hours to master the game. Here is the rub though, 2 hours hanging about at nets only to have a slog in the last 5 minutes doesn't count for much. Those hours need to be either high quality skills practice, high intensity 'game pace' practice games/drills, proper games or used to develop your movement and strength. How many hours a week are you currently spending on these things? Really?

You might be saying all this sounds like hard work. Where is the easy bit? Well, it is hard to succeed on the cricket pitch. Natural talent only goes so far. If you really want to play at yr best forget the shortcuts and start making changes today.

Courtesy of www.harrowdrive.com

Re: 7 Ways to start improving your cricket today

Can't believe I overlooked this until now, great tips again.

I'll be looking forward to the Harrowdrive cricket tips book! :p

I actually have one in the pipeline but it's a long way off yet.

Excellent post mate and the best one is the one about visualising, that is what drives my batting! It has helped my bowling too but more so my batting.

A lot of this is stuff that I've done over the last year and I've gone from being a crap wrist spinner that could only bowl wrong uns to a wrist spinner that now bowls a half decent Leg Break and some variations. I'm a big fan of the visualisation thing as well.

Back