A few bowling action questions

Jonesy

A few bowling action questions

Hi.

I'm in the middle of trying to get my action sorted and I have a few questions and things I want confirmed.

A pace bowler at our club is always telling people to get their bowling arm up near their chin in the load up. Looking at lots of international players' actions, they always have it in their action, so I think he'd probably be right. Just wondering is their any tips to help that or would it just be practise, practise, practise until it gets into my head, because I'm trying but I always seem to revert back to loading it up near my chest in games.

Also, I'm always told to get my front arm up higher and hold it up longer because I am falling away in my action. Any tips on that or would it just be more practise again?

And lastly, since playing on turf I have noticed I land pretty wide on the crease during my delivery stride. I'm an outswing bowler and I always get LBWs turned down because they go down leg and ATM I'm bowling a lot down leg side. Should I learn to come in closer to the stumps? It's just a habit, I don't think "I better come in wide" it just happens.

Thanks, Jonesy.

Re: A few bowling action questions

Look at how various bowlers load up- there will be a lot of differences.

Look at Robbie Jospeh - Cricinfo - Kevin Shine watches Robbie Joseph deliver - see where the ball is?

On the othe rhand Brett Lee tends to bring his arm up from up the hip position - Cricinfo - Brett Lee gets into his delivery stride and Cricinfo - Brett Lee runs in to bowl and Cricinfo - Brett Lee at the top of his run-up

It's not going to be the same for everyone but it's worth giving it a go. Try it from a standing position and then with one step/two steps and see how it feels.

Getting the non-bowler arm high will help with the falling away, as well as direction (get everything pointing as the target and chances are you'll hit). I say to bowlers to think 'tall' when they're bowling and this can help to get the arm higher. Again, try it from a base position and then off a few steps.

Finally, I would say try to come in to the crease as straight as possible - you want everything to be aiming for the target, so why disadvantage yourself by starting off at an angle? Of course, you can use the crease to your advantage from time to time and depending on the batsman/game situation but for your stock ball I'd say just get in there straight.

If you're having trouble then place some cones down on the approach and if you want on your follow through. Walk it through at first then increase the pace.

Thanks mas.

I tried it tonight, I don't know if it's related but I was bowling off a 5 step run up and I was getting some pace. It certainly felt good, but it might not be related.

I'll see if I get straighter on Saturday, thanks for your help.

I'm not quite sure if I was straighter today, but I think I was.

I have one more question, kinda. I used to get heaps of outswing (it also moved off the seam) back last year. This year I either haven't been getting any swing or have been bowling in swingers unwillingly, like today when I got one today to move back heaps. I have a front on action and I've heard that front on bowlers are generally in swing bowlers. I'm not really interested in bowling in swingers as my stock ball because the way I bowl I don't think I would take many wickets with them. Do you think it's because I'm falling away in my action, or do you think I should try to work at building a side on action?

I would leave your action as it is, unless it's causing pain, discomfort or injury.

Swing is largely from the wrist, make sure your wrist is behind the ball. Try moving the seam position a little, so that it's pointing a little further one way or the other. Make sure that your fingers are the last thing to touch the ball as well, it'll help to stabilise the seam.

It will also be worth cocking your wrist when bowling as this will help swing as well.

I have also had the problem of falling away in my action. To stop falling away keep your arms compact in your body, dont have them swinging around away from your body.

Back