a good line and length

a good line and length

hi i am a first change bowler for my team, my coach, teammates and brother say i swing the ball a lot but when i bowl my awayswinger i go to much on the off side and when i bowl my inswinger i bowl on the batsmans legs, in result i get hit around the place on both sides. i have tried a lot of things but nothing seems to be working. can you please help?

Re: a good line and length

Firstly, hello and welcome to the forum - I hope you find it useful.

As for your problem, then is it the swing that is taking the ball away from a good line or is it where you're bowling the ball in the first place?

From a personal point of view, I just concentrate on bowling with my action as 'pure' as possible, not thinking too much. When I think about it too much it goes to pot. It might not work for you, but there's no harm in trying it.

Technically, you can try thinking about keeping your head upright and in a 'corridor' in a line towards the batsman during run-up, delivery and follow-through as much as possible. This should help stop you falling away in delivery.

Also, try to make sure that you're not putting too much chest into the action as a side-on bowler (if you're front on, ignore this). Another aspect might be to keep your wrist 'locked' in the bent back position (it won't let me say 'c0cked wrist' :p). This gives the ball a stable base to be launched from.

Hope this helps, anything you want explained more I'll do my best to do.

Extreme Pace said:
it is where the ball is placed before it starts to swing and then it moves away to much.

The easiest way to remedy this is to set yourself a target on the pitch to aim for - try taping a bag to the ground on a good length and line then bowling to hit it.

Also, get someone to check your action to make sure your not falling away as this can often lead to the ball being pushed towards leg. If you can post a video then I'm sure we can help further.

I would add that you should learn to use the keeper more. He's got the best view of what is going on and should be able to give you pointers as to what is going on.

You need to line yourself up with start of run up and (to a right handed batsman) the keepers right hand. This 'straight line' is the start point, then whatever you do from here is a bonus. You are probably trying to put the ball where you want to bowl it, use your given talent and trust your ability. It sounds like you have good potential to swing the ball, so use the line well and most importantly 'pitch the ball up' don't give the batsman time to play the swing, because you've pitched it short and eliminated the swing.

thx 4 the tips but i tried all these at a match recently and it didn't work so is there nething else i should know?

That it'll take more than one match to perfect it.

Seriously, it won't come overnight and will take a fair bit of practice in order to nail it. As long as you have the basics right, practice them and keep on it, it will come but as with most sports, unless your outrageously talented you're going to have to work at it.

The key thing is to run in straight and look at where you want the ball to go. It'll probably help you to just bowl at some stumps (no batsman) as there will be less pressure and it'll enable you to work on things without having to worry about anything else.

Why do you bowl the inswinger if the outswinger works for you?

If you bowl it once in a while for variation, well unless you bowl it with the same action as your outswinger, then the batsman will be able to pick it easily.

i have just developed the inswinger but the outswinger is my stock delivery, i only use the inswinger once an over, maybe twice an over if the batsman can't pick it but i am still working on it and it will need some practise until i use it as much as my outswinger.

is there anyone that suffers from the same thing that i do that can help me get past it?

That's what I was trying to do until my coach said I shouldn't because it would be really easy to pick, because the arm comes over a lot straighter.

But don't let that discourage you, if it works for you, then bowl it, it's one thing picking the ball, it's another thing playing it.

I had the same problem once. My head fell sideways to the left (I'm Right Arm) at the point of delivery, and consequently, I jumped from close to the wicket and my left leg landed a long distance from the wicket and was not at all in line with my right leg. I corrected by making sure that I was upstraight, and the I was running in a straight line from where I started my run-up to my bowling target. Even after that, on some pitches my outswingers kept going wide. I would aim for just outside the off-stump and end up as a wide. I guess that was because my palm was facing the gully or even backward point instead of first or second slip at the point of delivery.
However, I didn't change my action. Since what happens is different from what makes it happen, I think you should focus more on your target.
Bowl, bowl and bowl, and try out what works for you. For example, if I target bowling at the batsman's feet, it swings away and ends up at off-stump.
Also, bowling away from the stumps for an inswinger, and from close to the stumps for an outwinger also helps a lot.
good luck,
shaaz

my coach actually wants me to practice alot more because he thinks if i do practice i could be a good bowler, also i am da only person in my team that gets alot of swing and for it 2 go in and away so yeah.
also i am going to play indoor cricket this season so that is another way that i can practice controlling my swing. its not my action that is bad either

is your action side on? I swing the ball both ways, but have a tip I was taught when I was like 6... I use my left arm comin down to aim the line of the ball, I just adjust that slightly further left for an inswinger.. seems to work ok for me.

im not so sure but i think i am more of a front on bowler instead of a side on but i still use my left arm wen bowling and it works but not most of da time.

I guess everyone learns differently. Generally you first become accustomed to how much the ball is swinging for you, at that time and in those conditions. When you've done this you can start to gauge how much extra width to aim with the inswinger.

Personally I dont tend to use the inswinger as a wicket taker, I use it as a constant ball getting it at their legs where they're not comfortable and then bowl one away swinger which they have a go at and I can hope for the edge or a chip up or something.

It sounds a bit lazy, but until I'm much better, I dont think too much about exactly where the inswinger's going I think more about the outswinger to come later which will hopefully open them up.

But in short, just try and aim a bit wider if it's coming in too much and going leggish... that way you'll end up putting the ball on middle/off more and make 'em uncomfortable.

i bowled this one ball about a month ago which was a yorker to a numba 4 batsman and he missed it completely, he had only made about 5 and dat was my 2nd wicket but da point im trying 2 say is dat i kno i can bowl da inswinger but it just isnt working so is there any tips i should kno for bowling da inswinger as a special delivery.

Back