Advice For A 50 Year Old Looking To Stay Fit.

TomBowler97

Hi Guys,

My Dad is 50 this year and is an opening medium pace bowler for our team, he regularly bowls his allocated 12 overs bowling inswingers. He is looking for advice on how to stay fit over the winter, he already bikes 6 miles a day and does a physical job. Any help on this subject with what he can do is appreciated.

someblokecalleddave someblokecalleddave

Thanks,
Tom and Steve.

Hi Guys,

My Dad is 50 this year and is an opening medium pace bowler for our team, he regularly bowls his allocated 12 overs bowling inswingers. He is looking for advice on how to stay fit over the winter, he already bikes 6 miles a day and does a physical job. Any help on this subject with what he can do is appreciated.

someblokecalleddave someblokecalleddave

Thanks,
Tom and Steve.
Hmm, today I've had a bowl (2 hours) and at half term I'll have a few sessions I hope and then I'll be resting pretty much till after Christmas.

Cycling six miles a day, he's already doing a lot better than me, so that'll be his aerobic/heart state sorted by my reckoning. By the sounds of it, if he's been okay each season as it starts, whatever he's been doing in previous years sounds as though it works and maybe he shouldn't change anything?

What I try and do is to get outside and bowl every now and then with my sons for an hour or so each weekend. I do some yoga, I do stretches all the time, I try and do loads of planks, press-ups, just loads of things just to keep flexible. My biggest failing is the aerobic stuff, like your Dad's bike rides. I should do more of that. Tony M for one likes and recommends this website here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqjMYDAI1OE6wohmtfuFKw
I'm currently looking at some of the stuff on there and I may adopt some of their exercises. It's been identified that I've got a weak Gluteus medius so that's something I'm working on over the winter. I guess there's no right answer for you Dad, it depends what he feels are his deficiencies and then work to address them.

Speaking as a 47 year old - switch to coaching ;)

Seriously, if he has played a while and does a physical job he probably knows what he needs to do to keep himself in shape, that said I would guess a few mobility sessions wouldn't hurt, Dewsey at Cricket Stength did an article on 'older' players a few weeks back if you want to have a trawl through their blog here http://cricketstrength.com/blog/ and Steff also did a piece on recovery when you are that bit older that your dad might want to have a look at.

You should manage that exercise with ease Dave... unless your scapula have failed to rotate. Send me a video if you would like me to identify any deficits.

You should manage that exercise with ease Dave... unless your scapula have failed to rotate. Send me a video if you would like me to identify any deficits.
I'll do that Liz! I can do it, it's just that it's surprisingly 'Stretchy' for the want of a better description, everything feels like it's being worked and yet it's such a simple thing to do!

Hi Tom, I am hoping your dad is still playing. In my opinion the very best thing he can do is take up Table Tennis. It will not only keep him very fit and flexible, but will improve his reflexes and his ability to focus on the ball and so will also improve his batting. When his knees finally give out (as mine did), he will still be able to play a competitive sport and carry on the great friendships he will have made along the way. I have played on and off since I was 17. When I finished playing cricket at 53, I went off to Table Tennis, that was 13 years ago and I am still playing pennant and staying fit. In my Association there are a large number of players around 80 who are still playing. Originally I thought if I reached that age, I would be happy if I could stand up right and remember my name and where I lived. I am now convinced that keeping active, both physically and mentally helps you to stay healthy and is something that Table Tennis provides.

Liz, if you're still out there. Joe seems to have Hyper-mobile shoulders and they pop out of his joint and then easily go back in again. He says it's not painful, but just feels uncomfortable when it happens. Tonight he was practicing and was bowling spin, so probably using a different action slightly and we had to stop because the shoulder popped out 3 times in succession. He can do it randomly - he says "Watch this" and you can see his arm seemingly drop from its regular shoulder position to a position where it leaves gap/dent where his rounded shoulder profile was. Is there anything he can do to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder. It doesn't happen when he's bowling fast though.

Liz, if you're still out there. Joe seems to have Hyper-mobile shoulders and they pop out of his joint and then easily go back in again. He says it's not painful, but just feels uncomfortable when it happens. Tonight he was practicing and was bowling spin, so probably using a different action slightly and we had to stop because the shoulder popped out 3 times in succession. He can do it randomly - he says "Watch this" and you can see his arm seemingly drop from its regular shoulder position to a position where it leaves gap/dent where his rounded shoulder profile was. Is there anything he can do to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder. It doesn't happen when he's bowling fast though.

Hi Dave,

This is not a great scenario and one which should not be often repeated.

How long has this been happening?

It perhaps would be a good idea if Joe consults his GP to rule out any underlying issue. If there is none, there is little I can suggest without seeing the action. Would it be possible for you to video and send it to me?

Liz

Liz, thanks for replying. It hasn't happened since. It think he's always been able to do it, I think other people in the family on my wifes side are able to do it too. Thankfully he doesn't do it that much and I reckon that this may have made him realise that by popping it out on purpose it may affect his abilities to bowl and he's the best bowler at our club these days. Do you want to see the bowling his normal action or what it is he does when he pops the shoulder out - if it's the shoulder, I certainly wouldn't encourage it!!!!:eek:

Liz, thanks for replying. It hasn't happened since. It think he's always been able to do it, I think other people in the family on my wifes side are able to do it too. Thankfully he doesn't do it that much and I reckon that this may have made him realise that by popping it out on purpose it may affect his abilities to bowl and he's the best bowler at our club these days. Do you want to see the bowling his normal action or what it is he does when he pops the shoulder out - if it's the shoulder, I certainly wouldn't encourage it!!!!:eek:

Hi Dave,

If it does not happen regularly and only when Joe does it intentionally, no need to video. However, if it happens unintentionally when he bowls an action he favours, send me a video so that I can see how we can tweak the action to prevent it from happening.

Being hyper-mobile in the GH joint is not a huge issue but if it constantly dislocates the ligaments may stretch. In this case, the GH joint will constantly dislocate for no reason... even whilst just standing, not doing anything. There is also a possibility of damaging the nerves from the thoracic outlet when the joint is repeatedly replaced, which may lead to chronic, unbearable pain down the arm and numbness or loss of feeling in the fingers.

You could get your old man to try getting himself a personal trainer and going from there.
Also perhaps looking at better footwear.
Hi Dave,

If it does not happen regularly and only when Joe does it intentionally, no need to video. However, if it happens unintentionally when he bowls an action he favours, send me a video so that I can see how we can tweak the action to prevent it from happening.

Being hyper-mobile in the GH joint is not a huge issue but if it constantly dislocates the ligaments may stretch. In this case, the GH joint will constantly dislocate for no reason... even whilst just standing, not doing anything. There is also a possibility of damaging the nerves from the thoracic outlet when the joint is repeatedly replaced, which may lead to chronic, unbearable pain down the arm and numbness or loss of feeling in the fingers.
try a physiotherapist.

Back