Essendon 18.10.118 def Carlton 16.12.108
St.Kilda 19.12.126 def Fremantle 14.12.96
West Coast 18.9.117 def Richmond 12.14.86
Brisbane 9.9.63 drew with Sydney 8.15.63
Hawthorn 12.10.82 def by Port Adelaide 12.15.87
Kangaroos 13.13.91 def by Geelong 17.16.118
Adelaide 15.17.107 def Western Bulldogs 11.7.73

Re: AFL Round 20

How many rounds are there in total? Is it playoff time soon?

I've got the Setanta Sports preview on my cable for the next month, so I've been staying up FAR too late and watching some of the games. Seems like a highly entertaining sport!

I'd always heard about how 'vicious' a game it was from people here, but it seems that it is a lot more skill-based than casual observers here can see. Obviously you need strength to get your body around your opponents, but it's still all about skill in the end.

there are 22 rounds in total, so two weeks to the finals or playoffs

you are right it is definetely a skill based game, back 30 years ago te bigger bodies had an advantage but now the skilled players are dominating rather than the players that just throw their weight around

The "roughness" of the game in recent years has been taken out a lot. For example you are no longer allowed to bump someone with a massive "shirtfront" with the sole intention of hurting them especially when contact with the head is involved.

Has an uneven draw with 16 teams and 22 rounds, you play 7 teams twice and the rest once, a bit of a poor inconsistency with the league.

Wilbix;175168 said:
How many rounds are there in total? Is it playoff time soon?

As Kram and Jolldo have said, we have played 20 out of 22 rounds. In terms of contention for finals (playoffs) spots, this year is one of the closest years. With two rounds left, 13 teams are still a mathematical chance to play finals football.

Wilbix said:
I've got the Setanta Sports preview on my cable for the next month, so I've been staying up FAR too late and watching some of the games. Seems like a highly entertaining sport!

It is the best sport in the world. @|

Wilbix said:
I'd always heard about how 'vicious' a game it was from people here, but it seems that it is a lot more skill-based than casual observers here can see. Obviously you need strength to get your body around your opponents, but it's still all about skill in the end.

It isn't as vicious as what it used to be. You still see some players involved in wrestling and melees and stuff but the administration has sterilized the game and has made gameplay a lot quicker and has taken some of the physicality out of the game. If you have a look at games from the 70's and 80's, you'll see that the game was a lot more physical that it is right now.

Over the past couple of years, the sterilization has been prominent and the major talking point this year has been the new "hands in back rule" which can only be described as an utter disgrace. Basically, it has removed a portion of contact from the game and has resulted in a lot more free kicks being paid. In two games on the weekend, a total of over 55 free kicks were given througout the game which is quite ridiculous.

As mentioned before though, skills have become a vital part of the game due to the speed at which the game is played at right now. The guys that don't have the right skills will be found out pretty quickly.

Back