Alistair Cook And Stuart Broad New Captains

futureblackcap

Alistair Cook has been named England's new ODI captain and Stuart Broad has been named England's T20 captain. I think this is a bad move on a few counts. 1) Cook hasn't played many ODI's for England and hasn't played an ODI since mid last year 2) Making three captain is stupid in my opinion because even though they are different formats they still need to communicate with each other for a team environment to click 3) It could create division like we've seen in Australian international cricket. Ricky Ponting stopped playing T20s later so did Clarke. The guy who was the captain Cameron White wasn't fit for the job or just didn't perform under the extra pressure.

Three captains is crazy.

What do you guys and girls think?

I agree, fairly rubbish appointments in my opinion. I haven't seen any sort of leadership from Broad and Cook is one who hasn't played a lot of ODI cricket. It's hard to see a guy coming into a side to captain when he hasn't played in the team regularly in the past.

Personally, it's similar to when Ponting quit T20 cricket and then Clarke took over only to find himself with no form and an inability to score freely and also quickly in the shortest form of the game. I think this will go the same way and Cook won't be captain of the side within two years.

WIth the trouble England has finding a regular opening partner for Strauss, all that will happen is that they will struggle to find a regular opening partner for Cook. Cook is capable of batting in ODI's wouldn't put him anywhere near the T20 though. :D
It might improve Broad's behaviour or he might be like Punter and be just as boorish as skipper.

I may be a little late to post on this .. but this is a bad decision on so many fronts I cannot believe Andy Flower signed it off. The Cook decision makes no logical sense to me as he is not deemed an ODI player but the English but then becomes the captain of the ODI side.

I admit that the Broad decision is even more confusing. He seems to be always in some trouble with match referees over behaviour yet he is given the chance to lead the side. I am not a fan of making bowlers captains (spin bowlers being the exception) as they have a task to focus on while the side is fielding.

2 observations from the appointment: It seems that the youth is what England are looking at as Paul Collingwood lost not one job but 2. His form has been rather bad but surely you give him a change to prove himself. He is after all the first English captain to win the World T20 championships.

Secondly it does look like Kevin Pietersen is done in any leadership capacity after Moores-gate. They could have given him the captaincy for the limited overs format but rather chose 2 unknowns.
I must confess that I dont buy having 3 captains as this could make things very difficult in terms of player / captain relationship. Have one captain for all formats is the best in my opinion (India has one captain for all the formats) . (I am from a country that has 2 captains ...)

Cook makes no sense at all. Having very little experience in the ODI format in internationals, but hey he's playing well in test format, same difference. * sarcasm* I agree with you about Broad, you can't have a bad boy, leading a side.

3 captains will make it more confusing. Look at the Australians, they had three different captains and all three of them didn't do a very good job. In the T20s, Cameron White scored no runs, in the ODI's Clarke struggled for runs and in the Test Matches, Ponting struggled to lead an under preassure side.

Cook is a future Test captain so obviously thats the ECBs way of bringing him on. However 3 captains? Must be short on options in the shorter forms.

Cook is a test player allt he way. As for Stuart Broad for 20/20... really??!!

I think Broad has his own temperamental moments in his bowling dept

Cook did well against the Windies, Im not opposed to him. My issue is Broad, he has not achieved much since going home from Australia ages ago.

Tendulkar probably hasn't had such an impact on the rest of the cricketing world as other greats of the game for whatever reason. Plus he's retired two or three years later than he probably should have. Those are my reasons anyway for why it hasn't caused such a splash other than in India where he undoubtedly has had the most influence.

Edit: It's not official yet though hahaha.

Alistair Cook has been named England's new ODI captain and Stuart Broad has been named England's T20 captain. I think this is a bad move on a few counts. 1) Cook hasn't played many ODI's for England and hasn't played an ODI since mid last year 2) Making three captain is stupid in my opinion because even though they are different formats they still need to communicate with each other for a team environment to click 3) It could create division like we've seen in Australian international cricket. Ricky Ponting stopped playing T20s later so did Clarke. The guy who was the captain Cameron White wasn't fit for the job or just didn't perform under the extra pressure.

Three captains is crazy.

What do you guys and girls think?
What I think is, the name 'Bell'(ie) comes to mind, with Cook in the picture, and the embarrassment is palpable.

i dont know about stuart broads abilities as captain or even as a bowler for that matter but i doubt he could appear as more of a fairy princess if he ran in to bowl wearing an old fashioned pleated cricket skirt

Back