An Australian Composite Xi 1995-

shortnwide

We've all had the pleasure of watching a lot of wonderful players since the 1995 tour of the Caribbean when Australia took the mantle as the best test team in the world. What would your composite Australian side look like? Side to play in all conditions.

1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. S. Waugh (c)
7. Gilchrist (vc)
8. Johnson
9. Warne
10. Harris
11. McGrath
12. Gillespie

I think the batting line up nearly picks itself. The bowling line up is difficult though. For me it's really hard to split Harris and Gillespie. Harris has the better statistics but not the longevity of Gillespie, but just does an outstanding job every time he plays. That number 8 spot for me is a toss up between Lee and Johnson. I just think that Johnson would be very good in a strong bowling line up rather than leading it as he did last time his form fell away. He offers more variety, is a better bat and a good change bowler, bowling a heavy ball. Interested in who others would pick. I reckon this side would knock off any side over the same period. I think SA would provide the next best side.

Gillespie should definitely be a lock with the rest of the team that picks itself apart from imo the 3rd fast bowler. As good as Harris is he just hasn't played anywhere enough, so I guess you would have to go someone like Lee but he would definably be the weakest link in such a side.

1. Hayden
2. Taylor (c)
3. Ponting
4. M. Waugh
5. S. Waugh
6. Clarke
7. Gilchrist (vc)
8. Warne
9. Julian
10.Gillespie
11.McGrath

Cannot believe you would have Johnson in your team. Lee was much better and he was a long way from the list. I was thinking of bowlers that have skill.

Haha nice, this is better. A bit of debate! Not sure if you're being serious regarding that bowling line up. Either that or you're Brendan Julian's dad! Loved watching Mark Waugh bat.. but if he was a better batsmen than Michael Hussey I'll eat my foot. Averaged 41.8 in tests. Don't object to too much else.

Brendon Julian???

Well yes, maybe he is easily debated but i can say the same of Johnson. Julian was on that all important tour of the west indies in 95. He was not the best bowler but he made a difference. That was a great tour and victory after 20+ year of being beaten by the WI. Don't think show pony think real worker this is the third paceman's job.

Back