An Older Member

rugmop

Love this site. I played cricket for about thirty years. Firstly in the CYMS comp. and at the same time in the YCW comp. on Sundays, in the 60s. Played 4ths for Collingwood, and in their Dowling team. Realised early on that I had neither the talent nor application to go much further with my cricket.

Spent twenty years playing what is now VTCA cricket, and loved it. Did all the usual things of being on committee and of being president of the club.

When I retired, I took up umpiring in the VTCA for about five years, and loved that too. When I moved to a country town in Gippsland, in Victoria, I thought that if I didn't do something there would be questions asked, in a town of 187 people. I decided, once again, to be known as an umpire. I made 600-odd friends in one hit. Well, as many friends as an umpire can make. At least there were no questions about 'that bloke' thereafter.

Up until last season, I did this for a further eight years. I again loved this. To be among cricket people is one of the finest things to do.

Having given up umpiring because of work commitments, I still wanted to be involved. This season, I've offered my services as the scorer for the local team. A mere extension of umpiring really. It seems there is no aspect of cricket I don't enjoy.

In contrast to my political outlook, I'm very conservative about my attitude to cricket, especially as to how players conduct themselves on the field. This is at odds with the way I played. Umpiring does that to you.

Mate I'm only a young un at 51, it sounds like you're a bit older than me, but it's good to have one or two of us on here. I'm a Pommie living back in the old country, if you can forgive me for that crime you might want to chip in on the spinning threads if you've got anything to say about spin bowling.

Mate I'm only a young un at 51, it sounds like you're a bit older than me, but it's good to have one or two of us on here. I'm a Pommie living back in the old country, if you can forgive me for that crime you might want to chip in on the spinning threads if you've got anything to say about spin bowling.

Yeh, you're right there, I'm 62. I will certainly visit the the spinning threads. It will probably not surprise you that I was a fast-medium bowler who turned to leg spin in his dotage. It is appropriate that you apologise for being a Pommy. :)

Yeh, you're right there, I'm 62. I will certainly visit the the spinning threads. It will probably not surprise you that I was a fast-medium bowler who turned to leg spin in his dotage. It is appropriate that you apologise for being a Pommy. :)

What stopped you bowling? I ask because my Knees are beginning to give up on me and the prospects for this season at the minute don't look too good.

What stopped you bowling? I ask because my Knees are beginning to give up on me and the prospects for this season at the minute don't look too good.

I played my last season when I was 50, after a break of about 7 years. Work commitments did for me in the end. That and arthritis in the shoulder.

Back