Anthropology

someblokecalleddave

Anthropology

Here's an odd one that might get some people going? Some of you out there must be studying sports science or similar courses that may have units that look at sports in a deeper way or some of you may just have ideas and opinions?

1. Why do we play sports?
2. Why are sports predominantly played by males?
3. Why is sport important to humanity?
4. What purposes does it serve?
5. Why are we competitive?
6. Is competition important to humanity?

Re: Anthropology

I am studying to become a PE teacher, I will have a crack.

As young children at school we are all introduced to a form of sport from an early age. At the beginnig we play it because it is part of the cirriculum and most primary school kids will tell you that PE is the best subject. As we grow older we either split it into playing sport for fun and enjoyment or playing sport to try and be an eilite athlete. The fun playing sportsman/women use it as a social get together, are able to keep fit and healthy and some use it as an excuse to get away from the missus/children (not sure how many will admit that though)

I am not sure that sports are prodimantly played by males. There is always something on offer for females, but they more just have social sports. Thousands of women around the world jog, power walk, do aerobics their whole life. Basketball for both males and females (don't quote me on this) but is the highest sport participated in the world.

Obviously some females aren't able to fit weekly sport into their daily lives. Kids, home workings and just plain old work can put a lot of strain on them and therefore have to (not rather) spend the time in the their home

I had a crack at two of them. Just my opinions really.

Moved to the 99.94 club

someblokecalleddave;271542 said:
Here's an odd one that might get some people going? Some of you out there must be studying sports science or similar courses that may have units that look at sports in a deeper way or some of you may just have ideas and opinions?

I just have an idea don't put too much stock in my words buts lets see:

1. We play sports for a variety of reasons, for enjoyment, for money (elite sportsmen), for exercise...

2. Males predominantly play sport because it was historically a "male" profession/hobby. The ancient Olympics in Greece only allowed males to compete, and from Preliminary HSC English the women's place was considered to be in the home, until the Feminist movement and stuff. So it has only been slowly that women come into the arena. Other than that there are a lot of women in sport but they have a lack of exposure by the media.

3. It is used as a measure of fitness. It allows many countries to fight their battles on the field rather than with weapons. During the cold war the Russia vs. America in the Olympics was considered as the highlights. Victory in Sports is a source of pride for a nation and in general humanity.

4. No idea really, but guessing from all the unity stuff present through all opening ceremonies, its to bring people together, and promoting peace and stuff.

5. Instinct?? To be better than the best :)

6.Yes, competition allows us to do the impossible, athletes reach world records, by competing against each other, and trying to beat others, man reached the moon as the result of the space race. However these are only the most positive aspects of competition there are many negative aspects which everyone can find an example too.

I do sport development and sport in society but we're looking at different areas at the moment, however my answers/thoughts would be:

1. Many reasons, from personal ones like enjoyment, escapism, competition and standing amongst peers to broader areas such as it helps to reduce crime, increases general health, helps with social inclusion/integration and it can help to develop some skills quicker than would otherwise be learnt in a classroom etc.

2. In the UK this more than likely comes from the days of the puritans/Cromwell (when early forms of modern day sports were beginning to form) where extreme religious views held sway and women were seen as the weaker sex and playing sport etc was frowned upon (for both sexes but more so females). Though the years after Cromwell possibly saw an increase in participation by women in sport the Victorian age quickly served to push women into the background and possibly define gender roles in the way we're familiar with today i.e Men play sport, Women look after kids.

There is also the problem in recent times that PE just wasn't attractive to girls and as a consequence it turned them off sport at a young age. Throw in the common misconception that women who play sport all bat for the same side (so to speak) and you can see why some girls choose to avoid it.

3. Is it important to humanity? It's a good question and one that I'm sure is worthy of a massive debate. I guess one way to look at it is that it fulfils our need for 'war' without going to war. At a base level we are all still mammal and have certain needs, sport is one way of meeting those needs.

I'll tackle the other 3 a bit later.

The male - female thing. What do you reckon to the possible theory that pre-history and the first static communities which I think have been identified as being in Iran, we were hunter gatherers. Women predominantly took the role of gatherers collecting seeds, roots, berries and fruit and is supposedly the reason they have increased dexterity with their fingers? Whereas men did the more physical hunting part and would range out from the base camp looking to secure meat. This process taking possibly days or weeks? This I reckon could be a key instinctive aspect to male behaviour in that the men would then probably compete with each other and look to prove to one another as to who were the Alpha males and therefore be in contention to be selected by the women back at the camp on their return because they were the Alpha males that secured the meat. This I reckon is the very basis of sport and is one of the key reasons our physicality is developed in different ways. This aspect to human behaviour went on for tens of thousands of years if not longer. As you say it binds together small communities of men in a way whereby they feel very protective and passionate about their abilities, stamina, strength and agility as a group (tribe) but also offers opportunities to prove one against the other in the role of asserting yourself as the Alpha Male and therefore the best breeding rights.

Recently here in the UK we had a series on the TV called 'Last man standing' where some westerners travelled around the world to compete against non-western tribes at their sports. It was interesting in that every single one of the sports was 100% male participation and most of them played a role in the rites of passage for the young men of the tribes. The women stood around and watched - no doubt on the look out for a nice Alpha male. In the same way that western women are interested in Mr Beckham? All of the sports had as part of the reason the bonding of the community and the example of the winner being the Alpha Male. All of them were violent/dangerous in some way but all had high numbers of male participation.

Which then poses the question why do we get off on adrenlin rushes - why do some people crave that feeling.

This could go on for hours. Mas keep going with your answers.

Not only could it go on for hours but you could fill a library with books on the subject :)
As for the adrenalin rush, not everybody gets off on it, remember the fight, fright, flight syndrome. Think about how people react in a high pressure situation [life or death]. You get the heroes and the so called cowards, or perhaps I should say those with a high degree of self preservation :D I wonder which, you guys think the women are looking for in a mate, which gene do you think the women would like their offspring to inherit?

As for "...the men would then probably compete with each other and look to prove to one another as to who were the Alpha males and therefore be in contention to be selected by the women...", I've been to night clubs like this too.

It makes me wonder how we define 'sports'.

I have loved this thread and everybody's thoughts and would love mas and D.K to complete their's... good on you Dave. Are you trying to self analyse by any chance? Why do you love the feel of the wind in your hair and the damp spray about your feet? Do you get higher on the thought that any minute you may wipe out, or, that the wave may take you all the way? How do these feelings compare with the shark tank you work in? Is the adrenalin rush at work, or lack of it, any indication of the extent and/or type of sport we play?

I love adrenalin, which is why I spent most of the last 16 years racing cars. I inherited this from my Dad, we both used to Scuba dive together on the Goodwin Sands (most dangerous stretch of water in the world). As a child we travelled the country as my Dad mechaniced for a Brisca F1 racing car. He never raced until in his mid 50`s. Dad, Uncle Dave (bestest bud) and I rented Rebels (full contact race cars-all armoured up). After the practice laps I asked my Dad "Better than sex?" "Oh yes" came the reply. When he crashed heavily in his first race he was bearly conscious when I got to him, at Northampton General Hospital where he was taken there was major concern as he could not breathe properly but that night came home (150 odd miles) only to be taken into Margate hospital for 3 days when the morphine wore off from Northampton. He still suffers from back/neck pain 10 years on, yet ask him if he`d do it again and he says "Your Mom would kill me!!".
My Mom could never watch me race, the only time was the one mentioned above but when my daughter wanted to race (the only child of an only child- the fulcrum of my parents world) thanks to the enthusiasm of my Dad, they supported us fully. That is the power of adrenalin.
So not academic in the slightest I would say that yes females find risk takers attractive as mates, but do not want that trait carried on through children and especially not Grandchildren.
I think all sports massage the ego. Even when on a losing team if I score a magnificent 15 (any score over 10 becomes a "magnificent") at no.8 and the opener goes for a duck in a quiet moment away from the rest I will afford myself a little smile. Yet if we lose and I get a duck then it is a team game and everyone shoulders the responsibility!!
In non team sports who hasn`t had a round of golf with someone who was "very lucky" that day.
We want to show off and prove we`re best at what ever we do, and however many times we lose is worth it, for when it all goes right and we peform to the best of our abilities and then some all the losses,ducks,no-balls,bunker shots,wipe outs,red cards are forgotten and for that breif moment we are KINGS!!!

4. Sport serves a range of purposes, many I've mentioned above (social inclusion, crime, escapsim, enjoyment etc) but it can be more than that. Sport can be used by countries to help improve their standing on the world stage (half of the cold war was fought out between the US and the USSR at the Olympics), can be used a tool to nudge people in the right direction in terms of health or even to help bring deprived areas together and even lift them out of poverty.

I guess the one of the biggest purposes that sport serves is that it really can and does bring people together, from all walks of life. Very few other things can do that.

5 & 6 Being competitive is something that is ingrained in human nature, and probably a throw back to pre-historic days when the strongest, biggest and best (in most cases) got the kill or to reproduce. Dave (I think) mentioned about hunting and gathering and it's true, the faster you were, stronger in the fight etc, the more you got. Was is it a case that competitiveness was born out of the need to survive and over time those that were the most competitive thrived and the 'trait' was passed on.

You could argue that this innate competitive streak moved on from survival yet it still needed to be exercised. There seems to be a strong history of people wanting to prove they are the best, from the ancient Greeks to Roman gladiators and so on. It's a desire to have a high social standing amongst your peers, and that is still the case. Footballers are idolised (wrongly or rightly), because they have skills at a level that few of us can attain (and £150,000 per week is a handy wage ;)).

There is probably loads more I can write on it but at the moment I'm bogged down with bio-mechanics and I'm having trouble switching my brain off from it.

mas cambios;272700 said:
...but at the moment I'm bogged down with bio-mechanics and I'm having trouble switching my brain off from it.

Sorry mas... once it's got you, you never switch off and it gets worse. One day you will find yourself on a beach looking at the half naked, oiled, tanned, muscle bound guys, totally lost in the movement of their muscles, ALL their muscles :). Strangely I get away with it but I think you need to start working on your excuses now :D.

I think with people being competitive, you only have to look at the racing car drivers, any of the jockeys and just about everyone who is in a team environment to get your answer on being competitive.
I guess you could always look at the supermarkets and how they come up with a better price for their produce. The price of bread at Safeway/Woolworths might be $2.40 whilst at Coles it might be $3.50. You would be better off going to Safeway/woolworths to buy that one loaf of bread that you want.

I'm ah, going to definitely go with Scott on that last one......

I might give answering these questions a go a bit later. I did a unit on Sport and Australian Society last semester, which was interesting.

Back