Any ECB Coaches considering the 2008 Conference?

Re: Any ECB Coaches considering the 2008 Conference?

I'm tempted to go to this as the range of topics and speakers is very good.

Indeed of particular interest to me are the following:

Joce Brooks – Psychology and Playing Fast Bowling
Kevin Shine – Coaching Fast Bowlers and
Dave Alred – High Performance Under Pressure.

Harrowdrive said:
If you are an ECBCA member you should have details of the 2008 conference by now. Are you thinking of going? Looks good to me.

Since I am not a coach and Birmingham is 127 miles away so I'll give it a miss :p. Let us know how it goes though, the line up looks brilliant.

How do you become an ECBCA member? I looked on the site but can't a sign up anywhere.

Also, what are the benefits of joining?

I'd love to go, but obviously cant!

If you're going David, could you give us a bit of a rundown of what goes on? Even better, film it ;)

swghayward79 said:
How do you become an ECBCA member? I looked on the site but can't a sign up anywhere.

Also, what are the benefits of joining?

Are you a coach? You need at least a L1 qualification to join. The main benefits are access to coaching resources and a very handy liability insurance.

Harrowdrive said:
Are you a coach? You need at least a L1 qualification to join. The main benefits are access to coaching resources and a very handy liability insurance.

I'm doing my first coaching course early next year, have been getting the CRB check sorted out first.

The liability insurance sounds very handy, I'll be looking to join once I've got my level 1.

It looks very fine to me.

If anybody else makes it, do come and say hello :D

Seriously, im jealous to those lucky enough eligable! Those are some great speakers who are going to be there and it'd make coaching 40000 times better with just 5 minutes of listening to them!

I know I am at risk of showing my age here but...

Did anybody hear Dave Alred talking about High Performance Under Pressure on Radio 2 this evening?

Awe inspiring! I really cannot wait. :thumbup:

I cannot believe that it is that time of year already. Can anybody tell me where Christmas went?

I hope I will not be the only one on this site attending at the weekend :( .

I look forward to putting some faces to names and would love to chat to anybody who makes it. Anybody?

I was really impressed; well worth the two hour drive very early on the Saturday morning in pitch black and driving rain :(

All was forgotten from my first step into the building. I was met with such enthusiasm and ECB guys whose only motivation appeared to be our happiness and learning environment.

I have to say that very little was new to me but I was fascinated to see how it was implemented.

This year's conference focused on pace bowling. There was an interesting choice of workshops and seminars to attend:

The whole delegation attended Dave Alred: High Performance Under Pressure. Dave talked us through a multi-discipline way to coping under pressure with such great strategies. He made it sound so easy and obvious; it will be interesting to see if it is ;).

I then chose Kevin Shine's workshop: Coaching Fast Bowlers. My only disappointment being the fact that I was so absorbed, I did not make nearly enough notes! Kevin took a young fast bowler (90mph) with side on action through video analysis. We all had the opportunity to analyse his action through large screens and experience the immediate improvement with the use of props; cones, exercise bands and later stability discs, trampets etc. We were shown the latest in sports science with muscle and movements, again through video analysis.

After lunch, it was Joce Brooks: Psychology and Playing Fast Bowling. This was good and although we did not cover anything I had not used before, it was really interesting to see and hear the thoughts of the other delegates.

Last workshop on Saturday for me was Simon Timson: Preparing To Play With Pace : More Than Just Technique. Of course, with Simon being England Cricket's Science and Medicine Manager, I would find this fascinating. We talked about multi-dimentional cricketers and what we expected pace bowlers to be and look like in ten years time.

The Awards Dinner was good. Simon Thomas (Sky Sports/Cricket AM) was fun and Graeme Fowler was unrepeatable; we all have a lot more laughter lines :D

Sunday morning saw me at Nigel Stockill's workshop: Circuits For Cricket. Again, not anything I had not used before but extremely well presented and again it was interesting to see and hear what the other delegates had to say. I am not sure everybody is as convinced as I am!

The whole delegation then attended an incredibly amusing interview between Tim Dellor and Ashley Giles. I was not sure I would enjoy this and if there had been a choice, I probably would not have chosen it but Ashley was very interesting as well as amusing; a real gentleman who has great ideas [any memories!]. I am so pleased I was there.

So, in conclusion and to answer your question [at long last] it was great. I really recommend any of you coaches, or those of you planning to qualify before the next conference, to go. As for value for money, it was excellent. It is also a great opportunity to meet so many other coaches and make great contacts.

Thanks for the low down Liz, sounds like a good weekend and with some great workshops\talks.

I'll be there without fail next year and hopefully so will a few others.

Liz Ward said:
I then chose Kevin Shine's workshop: Coaching Fast Bowlers. My only disappointment being the fact that I was so absorbed, I did not make nearly enough notes! Kevin took a young fast bowler (90mph) with side on action through video analysis. We all had the opportunity to analyse his action through large screens and experience the immediate improvement with the use of props; cones, exercise bands and later stability discs, trampets etc. We were shown the latest in sports science with muscle and movements, again through video analysis.

Last workshop on Saturday for me was Simon Timson: Preparing To Play With Pace : More Than Just Technique. Of course, with Simon being England Cricket's Science and Medicine Manager, I would find this fascinating. We talked about multi-dimentional cricketers and what we expected pace bowlers to be and look like in ten years time.

Would love to hear more about those two. It is good that you enjoyed it. Hearing about such interesting experiences makes me want to become a coach, part time, when I am older.

Can it be two years already? :eek:

I hear the next conference at Warwick over the 23rd/24th January will include 'Character, Captaincy and Leadership'... thought provoking!

Back