Are Australia still number 1 ?

grapedo

Are Australia still number 1 ?

Do you think the Australian cricket team is still the best side in the world ? Despite what ever the icc rankings may say.

Re: Are Australia still number 1 ?

I think that both India and South Africa have overtaken them and if England win the ashes this year they will have too.

The best side in the world is determined over a prolonged period of time, not just the performance over 1 year.

There are about 4, maybe 5 sides battling it out. No one side will dominate as they all have weaknesses. Rankings are great but only show a fraction of the bigger picture.

Rather than worry over who is number 1 of this or that, I'd rather sit back and enjoy the next 2 or 3 years worth of test cricket as there should be some tasty series to come.

Looking at the present situation, I would say Australia should forget about the No.1 spot for now, and focus on the transition period they are going through. Once they have a settled team, they should be able to bounce back like a champion.
Currently South Africa are the favourites. India are just a fraction behind SA. There real test still awaits them. That is playing in New Zealand. They have had a bad record there and it will be great to see what Dhoni's men can really do this time.
For now all I can say is that to know the real champion side, we should wait for a year or so. And if we want to know it quickly, then the best way to know it is have a couple of series between India and S.A. First on Indian soil and then in South Africa.

AB;304219 said:
The best side in the world is determined over a prolonged period of time, not just the performance over 1 year.

Disagree sorry mate.

Australia are in a completely different era now to what they were 2 or 3 years ago.

You can't just say well Australia dominated world cricket for 10 years so if they have a bad year it dosen't matter they are still the best because of what they HAVE done.

I'm saying that we have to wait a little longer to arrive at any conclusions. This might just turn out to be a temporary slump for Australia.

Clearly not.

If we rebound and beat SAf in SAf then possibly. But SAf are definite #1 in everyones eyes.

Must concentrate on that series.

We will beat England.

I think the #1 label is giving way too much importance, in times gone by when Australia were dominating it legitimately represented the fact that we were indisputably leagues ahead of the rest. Today you might say that on current form South Africa/India have the edge but that could just as soon turn in a few sessions of cricket.

So I guess my answer is, who cares.

AB;304794 said:
I'm saying that we have to wait a little longer to arrive at any conclusions. This might just turn out to be a temporary slump for Australia.

Well it has gone on for a year I understand what your saying but I think if it was temporary it would've been resolved by now.

Once we get Brett Lee back into form and Stuart Clark back from injury, we'll have a pretty deadly bowling attack in:

Lee
Johnson
Clark
Siddle
Some shithouse spinner

We've struggled to get 20 wickets recently, so once we get our bowling team firing again, we'll be hard to beat. We won't be as dominant as our McGrath / Warne days but we'll probably be the team to beat again.

Now we just have to replace Hayden and find a decent all-rounder and we're good.

Neville Bartos;306879 said:
Now we just have to replace Hayden and find a decent all-rounder and we're good.

I think we need to drop this idea of needing an all rounder to be honest, McDonalds selection was abit of a joke. would of been way better off picking another batsman and picking a few part timers.

joel;306945 said:
I think we need to drop this idea of needing an all rounder to be honest, McDonalds selection was abit of a joke. would of been way better off picking another batsman and picking a few part timers.

Yeah I totally agree.

If there is no decent domestic all rounder who isn't injured then there is no point picking one.

Why don't we pick 9 full-time batsmen, 2 awesome and super fit bowlers, make one of the batsmen wicket-keep, and have 3 part timers to fulfill the bowling duties...

It's crazy enough to work, and everyone can stop complaining about North, Rogers, Klinger, Hughes and D. Hussey missing out.

Neville Bartos;306979 said:
Why don't we pick 9 full-time batsmen, 2 awesome and super fit bowlers, make one of the batsmen wicket-keep, and have 3 part timers to fulfill the bowling duties...

It's crazy enough to work, and everyone can stop complaining about North, Rogers, Klinger, Hughes and D. Hussey missing out.
****ing LOL :D

:D

You would haver to have some good part timers mate.

and with the first 5 batsmen being openers, they'll have no problem taking the shine off the new ball for the rest of the team

Genius. ;)

Back