Are These The Best Bowling Figures Ever?

someblokecalleddave

Frank Farrington playing for Basildon & Pitsea U15's B-Team (He's 12) against local super-team Orsett U15's came away with 3-0-12-7. This included two separate Hat-tricks in the 2nd and 3rd over!

Initially we though the 2nd hat-trick was double hat-trick. I've video'd it and I'll post it up on Youtube tonight or tomorrow.

I've never got 7 wickets in a match. Got a 6-for on three occasions and a whole load of 5-fors.

Frank Farrington playing for Basildon & Pitsea U15's B-Team (He's 12) against local super-team Orsett U15's came away with 3-0-12-7. This included two separate Hat-tricks in the 2nd and 3rd over!

Initially we though the 2nd hat-trick was double hat-trick. I've video'd it and I'll post it up on Youtube tonight or tomorrow.

He bowls quite good, nice flight, but I just have one question and that's what pace is he bowling at?:confused: And is it a sticky pitch or something? Because his deliveries are actually bouncing, then going down like a tennis ball, which tells me he doesn't put enough energy into his deliveries. Your leg breaks should bounce, then at least go over the stumps and still be travelling forwards, not already going down. That second ball he bowled would have bounced twice before hitting the stumps! Was he bowling so slow deliberately because he knew these batsmen will jut swing wildly at everything like most young batsmen?

If you turn the sound up at 1:08 you can hear the batsman's mates shouting "Smash it, then he'll be sorry!" Whenever I hear something like that it always lifts my spirits and I try to give it a bit more air and let him have a go at me. 9/10 times, that happens.

If you turn the sound up at 1:08 you can hear the batsman's mates shouting "Smash it, then he'll be sorry!" Whenever I hear something like that it always lifts my spirits and I try to give it a bit more air and let him have a go at me. 9/10 times, that happens.

Why do people always think they have to smash a spinner? Surely it makes more sense to smash the fast bowler and work the spinner for singles.

Why do people always think they have to smash a spinner? Surely it makes more sense to smash the fast bowler and work the spinner for singles.

Yes I totally agree with that! The faster the ball arrives, the faster it travels to the boundary. I wouldn't mind getting hit for a four or a six at all, but singles drain the life out of me. Shane Warne was hit for the most sixes of any bowler in cricket and he didn't mind either:D

With all due respect , he is still young and all but jeez , what pace is he bowling at ??!! And another thing , is he giving the ball flight or just plonking it up in the air , the second option sounds more on the money . He turns it considerably but then again at that pace..... And the batsman which are facing him , what shots are the playing ????!!!! I'm not saying this kid is bad or anything of the sorts , just think that he needs practice and a whole lot of it ! Cheers mate !

England - early season - freezing cold, into the wind, rain earlier and he's only 13. (Very different to the Western Cape). He varies his pace and for the most part does give it a lot of air. The batsman/opposition - where we live, this is the team to beat, these are the kids with the best resources, massive in-take of kids who have to go through a selection process to see if they'll even get in the team let along get a chance to compete in games! Were you bowling Leggies when you were 13 - how did you get on with it - got any video footage? It'd be interesting to see.

This same kid bowls against adults as well in our 4th XI team and very often comes off the better - he's a good bowler.

England - early season - freezing cold, into the wind, rain earlier and he's only 13. (Very different to the Western Cape). He varies his pace and for the most part does give it a lot of air. The batsman/opposition - where we live, this is the team to beat, these are the kids with the best resources, massive in-take of kids who have to go through a selection process to see if they'll even get in the team let along get a chance to compete in games! Were you bowling Leggies when you were 13 - how did you get on with it - got any video footage? It'd be interesting to see.

This same kid bowls against adults as well in our 4th XI team and very often comes off the better - he's a good bowler.
Mostly the weather ( on game days for some reason ) is the same here . I've bowled leggies since I were 11 years old ( got chosen for the south western districts side at 11 ) . I think I got on quite good with it for so young age , unfortunately it was 6 years ago and don't have any footage . That is awesome but unfortunately I doubt if he will come of the better against me ( when I'm facing him ) . Also in some video I watched on the internet you showed where he and another spinner were bowling , is that bowler a chinaman ?

Mostly the weather ( on game days for some reason ) is the same here . I've bowled leggies since I were 11 years old ( got chosen for the south western districts side at 11 ) . I think I got on quite good with it for so young age , unfortunately it was 6 years ago and don't have any footage . That is awesome but unfortunately I doubt if he will come of the better against me ( when I'm facing him ) . Also in some video I watched on the internet you showed where he and another spinner were bowling , is that bowler a chinaman ?
Frank also has a funny action for that matter , but yes I'm talking about the lefty . He looks quite a lot like a chinaman to me but that's just on the vid . Anyway , you'll know because you were there .

Yeah it's idiosyncratic, but at his age no-ones going to mess with, he's effective and he enjoys his bowling. I'm sure in time as he gets older he'll look at his action and develop in his own way and then eventually seek guidance. In the next couple of years he'll have a massive and rapid growth spurt and probably hit at least 6'4" if his older brother and Dad are anything to go by. That'll make a massive difference to his bowling and he'll screw up for a season or two with 'Wrist Spinners balance canal syndrome' (I'll claim that one as well)! Remember you read that here first! "WSPBC Syndrome". He might not survive that, a lot of kids don't. But if he comes through it, he'll be a big tall wrist spinner with all of the assets that go with that. His action's been commented on by Stuart Macgill and Brett Lee, not that Brett Lee's an expert as far as I know and they thought it was fine.

Brett Lee? :confused:

Funny actions work, not always but most of the time they do (ala Paul Adams, Mike Proctor etc.). His action isn't textbook but I'm not sure if it's affecting him negatively. My only worry is that he seems to be a past the vertical bowler, which is fine (I also go past the vertical sometimes) but he might want to lower his arm occasionally. Past the vertical bowlers have a tendency to go further past the vertical if they don't learn how to bowl more round arm early in their development.

I can faguely remember my bowling at 13 and I think it was more or less the same as his, maybe a bit faster but I don't remember bowling someone around the legs.

That growth spurt thing has troubled me, but luckily I'm not going to get much taller. I'll probably be about 1.75 meters when I've stopped growing entirely. (I'm 1.63 now) perhaps that's an advantage of starting my cricket (and wrist spin) career quite late?

No WSPBC syndrome!

Back