Arrest over Pakistan-England cricket 'betting scam'

Re: Arrest over Pakistan-England cricket 'betting scam'

I get the feeling this will drag on and on. Asif has already proved to be made of teflon as nothing sticks. Likewise, I can't see the PCB banning their brightest bowling prospect unless.

Both will still be playing in a years time, albeit under a cloud. No action will be taken against any of the players.

For the sake of respectability and the tour itself, I don't think the five ODIs and two T20s should go ahead on the rest of the planned tour. They say it will, but after watching the last day of the fourth Test, if anybody does actually turn up it's not going to be the most pleasant of places to play.

It was a very strange day of cricket all in all. Everything was quiet, the crowd seemed like they only turned up because they paid already and the players really didn't much care, Pakistan were thinking of other things and England had the idea they'd already won, at least morally.

Plus England may choose they don't want to play, Pakistan might be low on players, the sorts of sledges you'd get from the crowd. It's not worth it really. Call the tour off for the sake of everybody, hold it when things are fixed up and the whole thing has blown over.

The tour will continue - too much money will be lost if it fails to go ahead.

Tickets have already been sold etc, neither the ECB or the PCB will want to take the hit in the pockets that cancelling the tour will bring. Plus, what about the players people who want to bet on the game? They will lose money as well!

Just had a news update on the TV regarding this ugly situation. According to that update, apparently seven Pakistan players are to face the Pakistan courts on charges of...... wait for it ...... treason. :eek:

What the?.....

Looks like it may be irrelevant, whether or not the cricket administrating/controlling bodies fail to act. The player's country will act via it's legal system if that news article is credible.

Yep heard they might be hanged for the charges of treason. I seriously feel for the chaps, you can see that their community is completely unorganized.

That is part of the problem that faces Pakistani cricket in a nutshell. Typical over-reaction by someone who has not got a clue.

I don't pretend to fully understand all things that go on in the sub continent, or the many issues facing countries in that region, but....................

mas cambios;407308 said:
That is part of the problem that faces Pakistani cricket in a nutshell. Typical over-reaction by someone who has not got a clue.

So true!

king_of_slaves;407304 said:
Yep heard they might be hanged for the charges of treason. I seriously feel for the chaps, you can see that their community is completely unorganized.

Pretty much covers it all in few words!

onemoreover;407081 said:
For the moment, I will be a fence sitter. My despise for such lack of principle and integrity is matched by my distrust and contempt of the news/media industry. If this turns out to be substantiated I agree with previous comments, make the penalties severe for all those involved.

It would appear "News Of The World" have a somewhat checkered history in tabloid journalism including sports related stories that have landed them in court. Mas could this be a valid point in this case or am I off with the fairies?

From what I've heard, this particular NOTW journo has a pretty impressive track record for this kind of undercover work, though his tactics are a bit sleazy.

Mazher Mahmood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The article in question:
Cricket in the dock as we expose match fixing scandal | England Pakistan Test, no balls, bribes | News Of The World

The Ox;407337 said:
From what I've heard, this particular NOTW journo has a pretty impressive track record for this kind of undercover work, though his tactics are a bit sleazy.

Mazher Mahmood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The article in question:
Cricket in the dock as we expose match fixing scandal | England Pakistan Test, no balls, bribes | News Of The World

Thanks Ox, the Wiki article is an interesting read indeed. Of course there are pros and cons to everything and that article raises as many questions about Mazher Mahmood and N.O.T.W. as it answers. Read the "Disscussions" tab as well. It indicates there that "News International" the mother organisation for N.O.T.W. have been editing this article. That is both a strength and a weakness of Wiki's. Anyone can update them.

Thanks for post!

Spot-fixing controversy: Shane Watson blames ICC for Pakistan mess | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

I've just gained a bit of respect for Watson. Looks like he doesn't care about what he says/does on or off the field. Good on him for stating things as they are.

What he said agreed with a thought of mine. Why did NOTW pick this up while the anti-corruption unit of the ICC sat around twiddling their thumbs saying there was nothing wrong with world cricket?

Boris;407351 said:
What he said agreed with a thought of mine. Why did NOTW pick this up while the anti-corruption unit of the ICC sat around twiddling their thumbs saying there was nothing wrong with world cricket?

Because the NOTW will dig, often uncovering stories that weren't necessarily there. The guy they videoed is just as likely to be a chancer as he is to be a fixer. A few drinks, splash some cash and he bullshits some stories to make himself look more important than he actually is.

Of course, the evidence points to more than that but generally the NOTW operates in way where people often incriminate themselves, largely through their own stupidity and desire to brag. The line is whether or not what they claim is actually true.

Don't get me wrong, there is more than likely spot fixing going on but I just wish a paper with more integrity broke the story, not a paper which is little more than a comic with tits.

mas cambios;407359 said:
Because the NOTW will dig, often uncovering stories that weren't necessarily there. The guy they videoed is just as likely to be a chancer as he is to be a fixer. A few drinks, splash some cash and he bullshits some stories to make himself look more important than he actually is.

Of course, the evidence points to more than that but generally the NOTW operates in way where people often incriminate themselves, largely through their own stupidity and desire to brag. The line is whether or not what they claim is actually true.

Don't get me wrong, there is more than likely spot fixing going on but I just wish a paper with more integrity broke the story, not a paper which is little more than a comic with tits.

English newspapers aren't exactly my strong point so thanks for that.

But it could work the other way as well... how come a comic with tits found this and the ICC didn't? :p

Spot-fixing controversy: Pakistan trio to miss warm-up game | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Well the main three in question miss the warm up game but it looks like they'll still play the first ODI. I guess it depends what the outcome of the meeting is.

Now things are getting serious... Butt, Asif and Amir are all dropped for the rest of the tour. Very big move this.

Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir dropped for rest of tour | Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

Looks like they'll need another captain again. Will Yousef get reinstated? He'll probably have to be.

And the only two real quality players in Asif and Amir are gone now. Looks like they'll be eating probably into a Third XI by now.

Boris;407422 said:
Now things are getting serious... Butt, Asif and Amir are all dropped for the rest of the tour. Very big move this.

Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir dropped for rest of tour | Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

Looks like they'll need another captain again. Will Yousef get reinstated? He'll probably have to be.

And the only two real quality players in Asif and Amir are gone now. Looks like they'll be eating probably into a Third XI by now.

there's got to be a cloud over MoYo too given his field placings in the 3rd innings of that Sydney Test this year

Roy00;407424 said:
there's got to be a cloud over MoYo too given his field placings in the 3rd innings of that Sydney Test this year

Who's your choice then? There really isn't anybody else. Salman Butt was already 4th preference as it was. Given the possibility that Yousef is also involved in this debacle then maybe it goes to another.

I don't think there's anybody else with more than 20 games experience is there? Is Kaneria fit? If so he's gotta be back in the side.

Well Afridi will be the captain of the limited overs side - but I reckon Kamran Akmal might take over as test captain (given that he was vice-captain ?)

king_of_slaves;407428 said:
Well Afridi will be the captain of the limited overs side - but I reckon Kamran Akmal might take over as test captain (given that he was vice-captain ?)

Ah woops I was forgetting that, for some reason I was still thinking they were playing Tests.

At the moment would you assume that Kamran is actually the first choice keeper? I can't spell or remember the young guys name who played one Test (Haider or something?) but he scored a good 50 on debut and kept very well. Kamran let through a few buys and fumbled quite a few simple takes (not dropped catches though so it turned out alright) plus failed more than miserably in all innings since the young guy got injured. I presumed he was only playing because of his injury.

Also presuming that they've skipped over him in the past a number of times, plus he hasn't gone through a whole Test without being told to shut up be an umpire, that he wouldn't get the gig this time round. I really wouldn't want him in my team, let alone as captain.

They aren't suspended as of yet, so at the moment it is only trivial.

Afridi always had the captaincy of the ODI side so at least that is sorted. Who to bowl though?

Back