Arrest over Pakistan-England cricket 'betting scam'

Re: Arrest over Pakistan-England cricket 'betting scam'

Hmm... I suppose Haider does indeed deserve a chance of being the first-choice keeper after showing great fight and character in his solitary test match. His keeping was slightly faulty to the spinners, but he looked a lot safer than Akmal against the faster bowlers.

Well I guess Pakistan have always had heaps of reserves in the bowling department, so that shouldn't be too much of a worry. (They're now apparently hyping a nearly 7 foot tall bowler who plays for the A team - so we might see him in action)

Captaincy for the test team is the only issue at the moment, and I can't really see it going to anybody - the bowlers are too injury prone, the batsmen too inexperienced (and I doubt they'd go back to Yousuf after the Australian tour).

Afridi is the captain of the Pakistan one-day and Twenty20 teams so there'll be no problems with the leadership in those sides. They still have options with regards to bowling as well. Umar Gul, Shoaib Akhtar and Wahab Riaz will be the pace options, Saeed Ajmal will bowl his off-breaks with Afridi and perhaps Mohammad Hafeez to bowl the rest of the overs. Abdul Razzaq will probably get a bowl too as well as batting lower in the order to increase the run-rate in the latter overs.

The basic team structure is there but is a lot weaker with the team not missing its two best bowlers. No doubt that Pakistan will call in a couple of the "A" guys to cover for the series and this whole scenario will give the fringe players a chance to prove themselves.

Boris;407433 said:
I can't spell or remember the young guys name who played one Test (Haider or something?) but he scored a good 50 on debut and kept very well. Kamran let through a few buys and fumbled quite a few simple takes (not dropped catches though so it turned out alright) plus failed more than miserably in all innings since the young guy got injured. I presumed he was only playing because of his injury.

Zulqarnain Haider is the guy you are thinking of.

Mohammad Aamer's last name is now officially spelt "Amir" as well.

Ljp86;407460 said:
Zulqarnain Haider is the guy you are thinking of.

Mohammad Aamer's last name is now officially spelt "Amir" as well.

Thanks for that, could have found them myself but I thought I'd let you show off your knowledge :D

They have now been suspended by the ICC after the PCB did nothing. First time that has happened with the anti-corruption unit, so we're in uncharted territory now.

I wonder how long for.

king_of_slaves;407455 said:
Hmm... I suppose Haider does indeed deserve a chance of being the first-choice keeper after showing great fight and character in his solitary test match. His keeping was slightly faulty to the spinners, but he looked a lot safer than Akmal against the faster bowlers.

Well I guess Pakistan have always had heaps of reserves in the bowling department, so that shouldn't be too much of a worry. (They're now apparently hyping a nearly 7 foot tall bowler who plays for the A team - so we might see him in action)

Captaincy for the test team is the only issue at the moment, and I can't really see it going to anybody - the bowlers are too injury prone, the batsmen too inexperienced (and I doubt they'd go back to Yousuf after the Australian tour).

There's also an issue with Akmal being the keeper in the Sydney test.

Boris;407518 said:
Thanks for that, could have found them myself but I thought I'd let you show off your knowledge :D

They have now been suspended by the ICC after the PCB did nothing. First time that has happened with the anti-corruption unit, so we're in uncharted territory now.

I wonder how long for.

It is unbelievable the current stance the PCB is taking. Yes there is supporting your players, but they are flat out criticising the governing body and attempting to prevent the course of the investigation.

Spot-fixing controversy: Pakistan was aware of suspensions - Lorgat | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

Along with claiming the players had been set-up, what is set-up about having this guy, in amongst your playing group and having a situation like this unfold? Clearly they incompetent administrators who deserve as much blame for this as the players.

Boris;407426 said:
Who's your choice then? There really isn't anybody else. Salman Butt was already 4th preference as it was. Given the possibility that Yousef is also involved in this debacle then maybe it goes to another.

I don't think there's anybody else with more than 20 games experience is there? Is Kaneria fit? If so he's gotta be back in the side.

its pointless speculating at this point as we have no idea how far this corruption extends

Boris;407426 said:
...Is Kaneria fit?

Slight stomach problems at the moment but should be 'match' fit soon if he does not overdo it :).

Back