George Bailey (c) TAS, Tim Paine (vc) TAS, Ed Cowan TAS, Ben Hilfenhaus TAS
Peter Forrest NSW, Josh Hazlewood NSW, Mitchell Starc NSW
Usman Khawaja NSW, Stephen O’Keefe NSW
Peter George SA
Michael Klinger SA
Mitchell Marsh WA
Andrew McDonald VIC

One Day Squad
George Bailey (c) TAS, Tim Paine (vc) TAS, Travis Birt TAS, Xavier Doherty TAS, Brendan Drew TAS
Aaron Finch VIC, Andrew McDonald VIC, James Pattinson VIC
Jake Haberfield SA
Josh Hazlewood NSW
Usman Khawaja NSW
Mitchell Marsh WA
Adam Voges WA

Awful lot of Taswegians in there. I see Punter sequing into the NSP after retirement at this rate, then they'll take over the world.

Welcome back Hilfy!

Nice to see Usman Khawaja in both squads, I hope he is no3 in the four day matches. Also Josh Hazelwood and the lone Warrior flying the flag, Mitchell Marsh (I hope he gets a game, they will have to play him in at least the one dayers, the press hardly mention the Warriors these days unless it's about him). Oh, I forgot Voges, but he's pretty much negligible as far as I am concerned. I guess Pomers is going to have to behave himself and get scores on the board for a couple of years yet before he'll stop being seen as a ratbag.

No Hastings or Holland, I feel these two are a little hard done by.

Considering how poor NSW were this last season, they are all over the four day squad.

So what's new?

Re: Aus A squads

It never matters how bad NSW are going or how well other states are, they still fill the side

Bit strange that Victorias only representative is Andrew McDonald in the 4 day team, Finch is worth a shot there as well

BTW Hastings is actually injured, recovering from shoulder surgery but it is strange they picked Holland out of nowhere last year and now they ignore him, the 4 day side doesnt even appear to have a spinner?

eddiesmith;400466 said:
It never matters how bad NSW are going or how well other states are, they still fill the side

Bit strange that Victorias only representative is Andrew McDonald in the 4 day team, Finch is worth a shot there as well

BTW Hastings is actually injured, recovering from shoulder surgery but it is strange they picked Holland out of nowhere last year and now they ignore him, the 4 day side doesnt even appear to have a spinner?

I didn't know about Hastings, that makes sense. Yeah, I found it strange that I didn't recognise a spin bowler, but then I'm not sure about decent part-time skills that some have. The treatment of Holland has been really wacky. How can you elevate a guy to the squad for one series (and a huge one like Ind in Ind) then ignore him for A series?

eddiesmith;400466 said:

S.O'keefe from NSW, interesting selection. I believe Forrest and O'Keefe would not be selected for NSW at full strength yet can make the Aus-A side.

Beeswax;400455 said:
Considering how poor NSW were this last season, they are all over the four day squad.

eddiesmith;400466 said:

Not trying to bring the billion year old NSW argument back up again here.

It's not about how well the team did, but how well the individual did.

Queensland came second in the SS last year, yes I see no representatives anywhere. That's because they are all young and inexperienced. Doesn't mean just because NSW and WA came last doesn't mean they don't get representatives, as shown.

Well how does a team like Tasmania finish 2nd last when half their side are apparently the best players in the domestic comp? They must have a very shit other half...

eddiesmith;400821 said:
Well how does a team like Tasmania finish 2nd last when half their side are apparently the best players in the domestic comp? They must have a very shit other half...

Ha, ha. ha.

WA seems to have a very shit other 3/4.

Mitch Marsh is injured and has been replaced by that under-achiever, Moises. Still I don't think Mitch Marsh would have played in the 4 day match, but it is a shame as he should have been a shoe-in for the one day team.

good to see a lot of tassie boys in the teams, the future bodes well for tasmanian cricket. May i just say (unrelated) it's a travesty that in the Australian ODI & T20 Nathan Hauritz is picked ahead of Xavier Doherty? I mean, picking Smith is fair enough, i mean, they want him to be the next big star, but Doherty can bowl better than Hauritz any day of the week, and twice on sundays :D

ZacDuggan;404965 said:
good to see a lot of tassie boys in the teams, the future bodes well for tasmanian cricket. May i just say (unrelated) it's a travesty that in the Australian ODI & T20 Nathan Hauritz is picked ahead of Xavier Doherty? I mean, picking Smith is fair enough, i mean, they want him to be the next big star, but Doherty can bowl better than Hauritz any day of the week, and twice on sundays :D

Hauritz is the best spin bowler in australia right now simple as that.Hauritz is really under rated, wonder why maybe cause he doesn't have the personality of many australian players who have played before him.

lethalhughes;405811 said:
Hauritz is the best spin bowler in australia right now simple as that.Hauritz is really under rated, wonder why maybe cause he doesn't have the personality of many australian players who have played before him.

i like Hauritz too. dont understand why he is so underrated when he continues to do the business. he's one of the few bowlers in Australia currently with the smarts to set a batsman up and execute.

also he does turn the ball and IMO currently turns it more than Smith.

Roy00;405821 said:
i like Hauritz too. dont understand why he is so underrated when he continues to do the business. he's one of the few bowlers in Australia currently with the smarts to set a batsman up and execute.

also he does turn the ball and IMO currently turns it more than Smith.

He just doesn't turn it ball after ball... so when he does he gets the wicket.

He's a very good technically correct off spinner. I would like to see a couple of different variations from him though, he does seem to rely a bit heavily on working on a batsman until he gives his own wicket away (and seems sometimes to not have a plan B if it doesn't work) or waiting for an almost accidental ball that turns 3 metres and bowls somebody.

He's the best spinner in Australia at the moment, and probably will be for some years to come. Like everybody, though, he does have room for improvement, and hopefully we will see it.

If Aussie never produced a bowler like Warne we would be talking up Huaritz right now.Huaritz might have been a defensive bowler when he first came into the team, but right now his a more attacking spinnner.After the ashes i couldn't for the life of me understand why people wanted Krejza in the team over Hauritz.The guy has been a really consistent performer so far , bowls to plans, keeps the pressure on, i know some people still don't think he does but Huaritz actually turns the ball.Hauritz is a better bowler than what most people think.I'm not Hauritz biggest fan but i respect when a cricketer improves and does well and Hauritz certainly has.

lethalhughes;405868 said:
If Aussie never produced a bowler like Warne we would be talking up Huaritz right now.Huaritz might have been a defensive bowler when he first came into the team, but right now his a more attacking spinnner.After the ashes i couldn't for the life of me understand why people wanted Krejza in the team over Hauritz.The guy has been a really consistent performer so far , bowls to plans, keeps the pressure on, i know some people still don't think he does but Huaritz actually turns the ball.Hauritz is a better bowler than what most people think.I'm not Hauritz biggest fan but i respect when a cricketer improves and does well and Hauritz certainly has.

I don't know if he has improved. 5 wicket hauls against Pakistan with their hari-kari notions of test match batting doesn't mean a great deal in my books.

But I like him, he uses his brain and we don't have anyone else.

Beeswax;405902 said:
I don't know if he has improved. 5 wicket hauls against Pakistan with their hari-kari notions of test match batting doesn't mean a great deal in my books.

But I like him, he uses his brain and we don't have anyone else.

He definitely has improve from when i first saw him against Soth Africa to now.He now turns it and he's learnt to bowl more of an outside off stump line.He does need some variation if he wants to be a permanent aussie spinner for the next 5 years or so.Yes i love bowlers who actually have a thinking game an hauritz does.

I have absolutely nothing against nathan hauritz, im just saying that IMO, doherty is the better bowler for limited overs matches, but one advantage hauritz may have is his batting

One little picky thing I have with Hauritz is his going from Test matches to ODIs. In Tests you have to give the ball more flight, use variations more sparsely, whereas ODIs are different. Like a couple of bowlers around he doesn't seem to transistion well between the two, his first game of a series always seems to be his worst if the other of those two forms were played first.

I haven't seen that much of Doherty, but from what I have I like Hauritz more. All pressure is good pressure though so he should be working on his game non-stop.

Back