Australia tour of India 2010

What will be the outcome for for the India-Australia Tests?

• Draw (India retains the trophy)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boris

Australia tour of India 2010

Fixtures:

Tour Match:

Indian Board President's XI v Australians at Chandigarh - Sep 25-27, 2010
Scorecard

Test Series:

1st Test: India v Australia at Mohali - Oct 1-5, 2010

2nd Test: India v Australia at Bangalore - Oct 9-13, 2010

ODI Series:

1st ODI: India v Australia at Kochi
- Oct 17, 2010

2nd ODI: India v Australia at Visakhapatnam
- Oct 20, 2010

3rd ODI: India v Australia at Margao - Oct 24, 2010

Although I don't expect this series to be that interesting, they never are in India, it is a very important one for Australia. Although the conditions are hugely different to that in Australia, this Test series will test out the depth, form and teamwork, the only chance to do so before the Ashes, which looks to be a very tight contest.

They will want to be concentrating on winning this despite those distractions, though, as India is the number one team in the world and very hard to play against at home, so a win in India is always very satisfying and never bad for your ranking.

The ODI series has everything to play for as well. It is of the proper length for once (three matches), and since Australia has taken up the split innings idea for domestic one dayers, every available opportunity to play an ODI may be a player's last to impress before the World Cup. Since the World Cup is being played in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, this is also the last chance to see how good the team is on the lifeless pitches and get in some good wins.

As for India, well they have everything to prove. India is going through a half hearted transition period, and about to go through another, and have a serious lack of bowlers (more than usual :D). The batting line-up is as always formidable, with the likes of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman so on so forth, and the Aussie bowlers are going to have to do something spectacular to ensure they are all kept quiet. I expect them to be racking up some 400+ scores.

The bowling for India really need some experience and good selection. The only bowler of notice at the moment is Harbhajan Singh, but even he has been waning of the last year or so and is now down to about 4-5th best spinner in the world, out of 9. For the number 1 team in the world, you would expect your best bowler to be there or thereabouts the best in the world. India has to get some wins in the bag or that crown will come down pretty quickly.

Just for fun, I've added a poll as well :)

Re: Australia tour of India 2010

The tour match is underway, Australia won the toss and batted.

Good signs for Australia as well, Katich and Watson are absolutely demolishing the bowling line-up with it being 159/0. Katich currently has 82* (134 balls, 13 fours) and Watson has 71 (139 balls, 10 fours). The bowlers are getting hammered everywhere, and with some of these players being Indian international players, not good signs at the moment. Things can change rapidly in this great game called cricket though.

According to cricinfo Matt Johnston from Western Australia is playing. Perhaps they have him confused with Mitch? :D

Boris;409092 said:
The tour match is underway, Australia won the toss and batted.

Good signs for Australia as well, Katich and Watson are absolutely demolishing the bowling line-up with it being 159/0. Katich currently has 82* (134 balls, 13 fours) and Watson has 71 (139 balls, 10 fours). The bowlers are getting hammered everywhere, and with some of these players being Indian international players, not good signs at the moment. Things can change rapidly in this great game called cricket though.

According to cricinfo Matt Johnston from Western Australia is playing. Perhaps they have him confused with Mitch? :D

I know the selectors are quite into left-field picks at the moment but that would be straight out of Hilditch's arse, wouldn't it?

meanwhile the real Johnson could be taking his leisure off in some dodgy tattoo shop getting an even uglier tat.:p

Beeswax;409103 said:
I know the selectors are quite into left-field picks at the moment but that would be straight out of Hilditch's arse, wouldn't it?

meanwhile the real Johnson could be taking his leisure off in some dodgy tattoo shop getting an even uglier tat.:p

Hahahaha

Well he wasn't selected to tour so I'm presuming they just found him walking by and threw him onto the field.

Watson's been bowled for 115. It says Katich has retired hurt on the scorecard but hopefully he hasn't actually been hurt. Normally when they retired in these matches they retire out though don't they?

Boris;409106 said:
Hahahaha

Well he wasn't selected to tour so I'm presuming they just found him walking by and threw him onto the field.

Watson's been bowled for 115. It says Katich has retired hurt on the scorecard but hopefully he hasn't actually been hurt. Normally when they retired in these matches they retire out though don't they?

Don't even breathe that. Almost anyone else in the top 6 but not the Katman.

I'm sure it's just a normal retirement to give someone else a shot.

Katich is fine, they just decided to retire him. Probably used injury as an excuse so he wouldn't "retire out". Batting looked good today, gives the team some confidence heading into the tests and also the Ashes.

Ljp86;409120 said:
Katich is fine, they just decided to retire him. Probably used injury as an excuse so he wouldn't "retire out". Batting looked good today, gives the team some confidence heading into the tests and also the Ashes.

Yeah, I read that in the article cricinfo produced, just strange it wasn't recorded as out and left me scared for a bit that Katich did actually hurt himself.

The batting could almost be described as 'boring'. Either things are looking good or this series is going to go down as two draws on the ever lifeless pitches.

Boris;409145 said:
Yeah, I read that in the article cricinfo produced, just strange it wasn't recorded as out and left me scared for a bit that Katich did actually hurt himself.

The batting could almost be described as 'boring'. Either things are looking good or this series is going to go down as two draws on the ever lifeless pitches.

I'm pretty sure that the test wickets will be taking spin very early even if this one isn't.

This is looking very good for Australia. 500/6.

North seems in some sort of touch which is great news as he seems to be playing now matter what, might as well have some form :D

124 ret. off only 128 balls, couple of sixes included in there. Looks like he really wanted to bat himself out of bad form beyond all doubt. Of course this may not convert to Test form, but let's hope so.

Everyone has made noteable scores that needs to. Smith was probably vying for North's spot more than anything this match and North blew him out of the water.

India looks in trouble on the bowling front.

Boris;409177 said:
This is looking very good for Australia. 500/6.

North seems in some sort of touch which is great news as he seems to be playing now matter what, might as well have some form :D

124 ret. off only 128 balls, couple of sixes included in there. Looks like he really wanted to bat himself out of bad form beyond all doubt. Of course this may not convert to Test form, but let's hope so.

Everyone has made noteable scores that needs to. Smith was probably vying for North's spot more than anything this match and North blew him out of the water.

India looks in trouble on the bowling front.

Our bowlers didn't trouble anyone for too long. Zaheer Khan is going to have to be in good nick.

Ojha has had a good game. He's played 6 tests, I wonder if he'll get another call-up.

For all that it looks brilliant as a score, we haven't learnt anything we didn't know already.

It still looks like Katich has to score runs up top for us to get going and North is ok if he comes in with runs on the board.

Just saying.

Beeswax;409180 said:
Our bowlers didn't trouble anyone for too long. Zaheer Khan is going to have to be in good nick.

Ojha has had a good game. He's played 6 tests, I wonder if he'll get another call-up.

For all that it looks brilliant as a score, we haven't learnt anything we didn't know already.

It still looks like Katich has to score runs up top for us to get going and North is ok if he comes in with runs on the board.

Just saying.

Good point there about North, hadn't thought of that.

Hilfenhaus is proving that it isn't only a batsman's wicket now, two quick wickets caught behind and at first slip, one of them being Gambhir so good signs there from Hilfy. Johnson has gone for 11 from 2 overs.

I find it interesting that Siddle is fit for the Champions League but not the Tests after it. Maybe the smell of money made his back feel better...

Katich and North will be bowled a lot this series. Katich has already said in pre-series interviews that he has been preparing himself to bowl, along with a good quote "More people get enjoyment out of watching me bowl than bat."

EDIT: This is getting beyond funny now. Hauritz and Smith mightn't even get a bowl, or at least not to a decent batsman anyway. Johnson has picked up one and George has two now with only two recognisable batsmen left. If Australia play like this against India then they don't have a chance. Something tells me that's not going to be the case though...

Very encouraging signs though Boris. Certainly didn't a performance like this although our spinners have been poor so far which isn't that good.

BP XI v Australians: Fast bowlers thrive after North century

The spinners, as you say Ljp, haven't gone that well. The number 7 played them with ease: 11 overs for 66 runs in total.

At least the pace option seems to be pretty good, but whether they will have this effect on all the pitches remains to be seen.

Hopefully Hauritz comes good for the Test, a lot falls on his shoulders here. Let's see if he can repeat his sole 2004 Test.

IBP XI were all out for 177. Hilfenhaus finished with five wickets, Hauritz claimed one at the end as well.

Australia are 3/90 in reply, top order has been switched around a bit with Ponting and Watson opening followed by Clarke, Paine who was out for a duck and then Smith. The two centurians have been pushed down the order.

Watson has found some extra good form all of a sudden. He went a few matches without anything but if this is anything to go by this is going to be a good series for him. 115 and now 70*.

Smith will have to start making some runs if he wants to make his way into the team. Either that or Hauritz starts performing badly.

Would anybody consider playing two spinners in the second Test (or perhaps even the first) if spin proves important?

Boris;409291 said:
Watson has found some extra good form all of a sudden. He went a few matches without anything but if this is anything to go by this is going to be a good series for him. 115 and now 70*.

Smith will have to start making some runs if he wants to make his way into the team. Either that or Hauritz starts performing badly.

Would anybody consider playing two spinners in the second Test (or perhaps even the first) if spin proves important?

I can't see the point in playing two spin bowlers when neither of them are much chop and we have a team chocka with p/t spin bowlers.

As pace is our strength, dropping a decent pace bowler for a mediocre spin bowler seems a bit pointless. I'm not saying that Smith is poor, he'll develop for sure, but if they consider Hauritz first choice, that says rather a lot.

Beeswax;409295 said:
I can't see the point in playing two spin bowlers when neither of them are much chop and we have a team chocka with p/t spin bowlers.

As pace is our strength, dropping a decent pace bowler for a mediocre spin bowler seems a bit pointless. I'm not saying that Smith is poor, he'll develop for sure, but if they consider Hauritz first choice, that says rather a lot.

I agree with that. I've grown fond of Hauritz though, right now I rate him as second best spinner in the world (although Shakib Al Hasan of Bangladesh is up there as well) and is definitely doing his part.

The fast bowlers on tour are as follows:
- Mitchell Johnson
- Doug Bollinger
- Ben Hilfenhaus
- Peter George
- Josh Hazlewood (standby)
- Mitchell Starc (standby)

The first picks are obvious, Johnson, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus. But what if one of them injures themselves either now or during the first Test? Who comes in next? George is the only one not officially considered a 'standby' player and that's who I'd have.

It is then that I could see a second spinner coming in. If spinners prove vital in the first Test, and the Bangalore (2nd Test) pitch is conducive of spin IIRC, I might lean on the side of experimentation and give Smith a runabout. India is no place to blood debutantes so I would probably make George wait for his baggy green.

Also Watson just brought up his second century of the match, not too bad at all from him. North and Katich are still in the dressing rooms, looks like they'll only come in if absolutely needed, it's Tea time now. If I were Ponting I would declare now for the heck of it and give the bowlers one more romp with the ball instead of having them out there with the bat.

EDIT: And Ponting has done just that, declared 187/6. See what the bowlers can do in the few overs each they'll get.

Boris;409297 said:
I agree with that. I've grown fond of Hauritz though, right now I rate him as second best spinner in the world (although Shakib Al Hasan of Bangladesh is up there as well) and is definitely doing his part.

- Mitchell Johnson
- Doug Bollinger
- Ben Hilfenhaus
- Peter George

The first picks are obvious, Johnson, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus. But what if one of them injures themselves either now or during the first Test? Who comes in next? George is the only one not officially considered a 'standby' player and that's who I'd have.

It is then that I could see a second spinner coming in. If spinners prove vital in the first Test, and the Bangalore (2nd Test) pitch is conducive of spin IIRC, I might lean on the side of experimentation and give Smith a runabout. India is no place to blood debutantes so I would probably make George wait for his baggy green.

Also Watson just brought up his second century of the match, not too bad at all from him. North and Katich are still in the dressing rooms, looks like they'll only come in if absolutely needed, it's Tea time now. If I were Ponting I would declare now for the heck of it and give the bowlers one more romp with the ball instead of having them out there with the bat.

EDIT: And Ponting has done just that, declared 187/6. See what the bowlers can do in the few overs each they'll get.

I'll tell you what, Johnson as usual is doing his best to convince Punter - if he needed convincing - that he ain't a new ball bowler.

I don't agree about Hauritz. I like him and I think he is the best we've got, but I can't think of many teams he'd get into on the international circuit.

He wouldn't get into Pakistan, India, England, Sri Lanka, New Zealand - unless Vettori wanted a second bowler - South Africa - they've got Botha, he might make it into the West Indies over Benn and Bangladesh have a Al Hasan who is better than him.

Boris;409297 said:

- Mitchell Johnson
- Doug Bollinger
- Ben Hilfenhaus
- Peter George

Hazlewood is out, withdrew a couple of weeks ago with injury. James Pattinson is the new standby player.

Only need one spinner I think. Like Beeswax said, pace is our strength and bringing in another ordinary spinner puts a pace bowler on the outer which I think is a detriment to the team. North and Katich are more than capable of bowling if another spin option is needed. Clarke might even bowl too, his best bowling figures in a test happened in India so we have more than enough options.

Ljp86;409313 said:
Hazlewood is out, withdrew a couple of weeks ago with injury. James Pattinson is the new standby player.

I had written down Hazlewood and Pattinson until I noticed Hazlewood was injured, but I deleted the wrong one :rolleyes:. Thanks for the correction.

Dhawan has retired hurt. I wonder if Mitch hurt him :D

Back