Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

spinner;384843 said:
I've always thought Bracken was a good ODI bowler, but really only when he's in form, otherwise he can look out of place.

Third best this decade after Murali and Lee, and that's without having played the whole decade.

First, though, you have to work out if he is out of form or not.

spinner;384843 said:
I've always thought Bracken was a good ODI bowler, but really only when he's in form, otherwise he can look out of place.

Doesn't that apply to anyone???

We can only work with what we've got, so it is wishful thinking to suggest these blokes are going to be as good as they were in the past. Injuries occur, and whilst they are simply bad luck, they tend to happen more to those who are getting on a bit. Once a bowler become more susceptible to injury, it really has to be factored into their selection, so I agree with LtD that we might have seen the best of Bracken and have to move on.

I agree with Boris also that the current crop aren't the most fearsome lot, so maybe we have to keep looking. I'm not one for thinking your Test players are necessarily your best limited overs ones.

Sober Symonds;385130 said:
Doesn't that apply to anyone???

We can only work with what we've got, so it is wishful thinking to suggest these blokes are going to be as good as they were in the past. Injuries occur, and whilst they are simply bad luck, they tend to happen more to those who are getting on a bit. Once a bowler become more susceptible to injury, it really has to be factored into their selection, so I agree with LtD that we might have seen the best of Bracken and have to move on.

I agree with Boris also that the current crop aren't the most fearsome lot, so maybe we have to keep looking. I'm not one for thinking your Test players are necessarily your best limited overs ones.

I know that injuries get to older bowlers and sometimes we just have to say 'unlucky' and move on. The thing that angers me, though, is when people make this decision without actually seeing them play. Bracken should be given this next Pakistan series, if fully fit, and regardless of form, to get himself back into the main game. After an injury a bowler isn't going to be 100% on the money, and he still has at least the World Cup left in him, he is too big an asset too lose, and especially with your two other main spearheads in Johnson and Lee not being involved in all or part of this coming series, we can't say that the Test up and comers are going to perform in the utmost proficiency. The only bowler in the squad currently that has full credentials as a proper one day bowler is Watson... and he's opening the batting as well with a body susceptible to injury.

It's a big gamble to put guys back in to their "old spots" whilst they sort out fitness & form for however long it takes. That's what the domestic competition is for. Big bucks at stake, others fit & ready, etc.

What do you mean by "full credentials as a proper one day bowler"? Hopes & Hauritz have similar, if not better ODI records than Watson. I recognise the others aren't proven as yet, but how can you be until you are given the games?

Sober Symonds;385343 said:
It's a big gamble to put guys back in to their "old spots" whilst they sort out fitness & form for however long it takes. That's what the domestic competition is for. Big bucks at stake, others fit & ready, etc.

What do you mean by "full credentials as a proper one day bowler"? Hopes & Hauritz have similar, if not better ODI records than Watson. I recognise the others aren't proven as yet, but how can you be until you are given the games?

Sorry, forgot Hopes and Hauritz, which is strange of me as you would probably have realised (not one to leave Hopes out of things).

Watson has been a very good ODI bowler, and if he had been fit all these years he would have been selected on his bowling alone IMO.

Back