Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

At the moment I don't want Hughes in the test team. His going to be a gun - no doubt, but he has to earn his recall.

Getting bounced out is not a good look for an Australian batsmen in the test side, to get back into the team he has to show that he can combat sustained short pitched bowling.

Watson isn't a long term opener, but he is a good enough makeshift opener who is capable of scoring big.

It also buys us more time to see if Hussey is capable of scoring more runs.

Hughes has to start scoring hundreds, Watson has to start converting 40's, 50's and 60's into hundreds.

Hussey needs to do the same.

To bring up something new.

Does anyone think anything of Tait making a comeback in the near future?

Into the one-day side - why not? If he can put together some solid 10-over performances, I'd be happy to see him in there. He's good for the game.

Yeah if he gets fit, was very important in the 2007 World Cup win IIRC. He'll never make it as a Test bowler though..

Kram81;380679 said:
Yeah if he gets fit, was very important in the 2007 World Cup win IIRC. He'll never make it as a Test bowler though..

I think if he didn't have his breakdown he could have made it as a Test bowler, but not now.

I haven't been able to watch him play. He has been getting through his 10 overs with some good figures, but what I'm interested in is his speed. It seems to be his judgment of fitness.

And for the record he also has my favourite bowling action seeing as though it shouldn't work.

I watched Steve Smith bowl tonight in the T20 and I was impressed, he looks like a serious talent with his leg breaks.

I'd like to get this guy into the ODI team sooner rather then later, especially with the World Cup to be played on in India now just a year and a bit away.

His batting is first rate as well, so we can play 2 spinners with Smith and Hauritz.

I know talent when I see it, and this Steve Smith kid looks like a gun player in the making to me. I don't care about stats, we need to get this guy into Australian colours in the near future at least in the T20 format where I believe he could have an immediate impact with both bat and ball.

Often the Australian selectors will be a bit more adventurous with selections in the ODI format so I wouldn't think it woukld be out of the question for this kid to play very soon in the ODI format.

I don't have a problem with him being introduced into the T20 side, as there is more room for experimentation there. For the long version of the game though, I would think a fair bit more work needs to be done.

Talent in young cricketers is everywhere. We have to be careful jumping wholeheartedly into the next thing we see with "potential". They've all got it, it's just a matter of whether or not it's still working after 2 or 3 seasons that makes the difference. Dan Cullen, Shannon Tubb, ... even Phil Hughes - who knows?

The one area where I might say, "Stuff it, let 'em loose" is fast bowling.

Sober Symonds;382683 said:
The one area where I might say, "Stuff it, let 'em loose" is fast bowling.

The only time I say that is when they are very fast bowlers :D. Just because I want to see fireworks.

People say you don't need speed to bowl, and I second that motion. But it damn well helps when you do, especially for one dayers because the batsman can't block out all your overs.

I would really love to see Lee, Tait and Nannes bowling together in the world cup. Tait had an excellent world cup last time round because of his raw pace, and Lee is the second best ODI bowler in the world over the past decade, and Nannes is an exciting prospect. Looks like veteran, mid range tried and tested, and young hopeful to me.

Johnson has great ODI stats and that is where he originated, but I'm not sure on his continuing form in this form... I'm not 100% sure why.

Of course I would only have Tait or Nannes if Bracken wasn't around. That guy is a superstar.

hey , do you guys reckon Cameron White is good enough to make the test team?, i mean well he dominated in the one day series in england, showing that he can bat in that middle order, and he has worked on his bowling

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News

Australia v Pakistan, Gabba, 22 January
Ricky Ponting (c) TAS
Michael Clarke (vc) NSW
Doug Bollinger NSW
Brad Haddin NSW
Nathan Hauritz NSW
James Hopes QLD
Mike Hussey WA
Shaun Marsh WA
Clint McKay VIC
Peter Siddle VIC
Shane Watson NSW
Cameron White VIC

Australia v Pakistan, Sydney, 24 January
Ricky Ponting (c) TAS
Michael Clarke (vc) NSW
Doug Bollinger NSW
Brad Haddin NSW
Nathan Hauritz NSW
Mike Hussey WA
Shaun Marsh WA
Clint McKay VIC
Peter Siddle VIC
Adam Voges WA
Shane Watson NSW
Cameron White VIC

Best lineup

Watson, Marsh, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, White, Haddin, Hauritz, McKay, Siddle, Bollinger

I cant understand the Voges and Hopes selections, also I would bat White higher

eddiesmith;384328 said:

Best lineup

Watson, Marsh, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, White, Haddin, Hauritz, McKay, Siddle, Bollinger

Hopes has to fit in their, and not just because I like him. He has been the only player in the team for the past two and a half years that hasn't had a form slump, has rarely had a bad game, has performed out of his skin every single game. Nothing extremely outstanding, just good performance after good performance.

Ponting has described him as Mr Fix It. Without him both batting and bowling loses some points in the skill area.

Boris;384334 said:
Hopes has to fit in their, and not just because I like him. He has been the only player in the team for the past two and a half years that hasn't had a form slump, has rarely had a bad game, has performed out of his skin every single game. Nothing extremely outstanding, just good performance after good performance.

Ponting has described him as Mr Fix It. Without him both batting and bowling loses some points in the skill area.
Only spot is Marsh opening spot but I know 1 poster who would oppose that :)

eddiesmith;384336 said:
Only spot is Marsh opening spot but I know 1 poster who would oppose that :)

Well for me it's drop Clarke. But that isn't happening.

I know White has had a golden run of late, and I really like him. I mean it pains me to say this, but White doesn't bowl anymore, and nowhere near the quality of Hopes. And White is wasted down the order.

Hopes is great for that late order stuff and isn't going to be wasted. Yes Hopes can score 50s opening, but not centuries like White. White should have a spot up the order, where that comes from I don't know.

Boris;384341 said:
Well for me it's drop Clarke. But that isn't happening.

I know White has had a golden run of late, and I really like him. I mean it pains me to say this, but White doesn't bowl anymore, and nowhere near the quality of Hopes. And White is wasted down the order.

Hopes is great for that late order stuff and isn't going to be wasted. Yes Hopes can score 50s opening, but not centuries like White. White should have a spot up the order, where that comes from I don't know.
But Australia dont need Hopes bowling with Watson already there, they have 5 genuine bowling options with plenty of backup from White, Hussey and Clarke

Teams can get into trouble with too many bowling options, they either end up underbowling a player who bowls well or forgetting about someone

Clarke isnt going anywhere, time for Ponting to retire for White to move up

Otherwise you could swap Hussey and White as Clarke cant bat lower than 4 in ODIs due to his slow starts which sometimes never pick up speed. Funny how its the opposite to tests where he cant bat above 5

eddiesmith;384328 said:

Best lineup

McKay won't play at the Gabba unless one of Siddle or Bollinger gets injured. Hopes will probably play in Brisbane, don't know why Voges has been selected for Sydney because he isn't a complete all-rounder. Could only see Voges playing if one of the batters gets dropped/injured which means McKay would play in Hopes' spot at the SCG to beef up the bowling.

eddiesmith;384345 said:
But Australia dont need Hopes bowling with Watson already there, they have 5 genuine bowling options with plenty of backup from White, Hussey and Clarke

Teams can get into trouble with too many bowling options, they either end up underbowling a player who bowls well or forgetting about someone

Clarke isnt going anywhere, time for Ponting to retire for White to move up

Otherwise you could swap Hussey and White as Clarke cant bat lower than 4 in ODIs due to his slow starts which sometimes never pick up speed. Funny how its the opposite to tests where he cant bat above 5

It's a tough situation, though when Hopes is the sides most consistent bowler, almost always either the best one there or second best. And without Lee or Bracken to steady ship anymore, you have Siddle, Bollinger, McKay, Hilfenhaus and so forth, and none of them are proven, nowhere near it. Hopes is the best bowler in the team you have selected (if he were included that is), and you can't leave out your best bowler.

Ljp86;384348 said:
McKay won't play at the Gabba unless one of Siddle or Bollinger gets injured. Hopes will probably play in Brisbane, don't know why Voges has been selected for Sydney because he isn't a complete all-rounder. Could only see Voges playing if one of the batters gets dropped/injured which means McKay would play in Hopes' spot at the SCG to beef up the bowling.

Boris;384350 said:
It's a tough situation, though when Hopes is the sides most consistent bowler, almost always either the best one there or second best. And without Lee or Bracken to steady ship anymore, you have Siddle, Bollinger, McKay, Hilfenhaus and so forth, and none of them are proven, nowhere near it. Hopes is the best bowler in the team you have selected (if he were included that is), and you can't leave out your best bowler.

2 strike bowlers isnt enough, so unless Hauritz is being left out in Brisbane then I cant see how he fits in, cant see the point in playing Hopes ahead of a strike bowler in Brisbane

Hopes is a quality cricketer, who Ian Chappell points out, when you play him you'll know you'll do something for the team whether its a great catch, or a run out, or a cameo innings or a grab a bundle of wickets.

eddiesmith;384354 said:
2 strike bowlers isnt enough, so unless Hauritz is being left out in Brisbane then I cant see how he fits in, cant see the point in playing Hopes ahead of a strike bowler in Brisbane

Bollinger and Siddle are the strike bowlers and Watson is Ponting's go-to man. Add in Hauritz as the spinner and then Hopes and there's 50 overs. Clarke will bowl a few overs if one of the others starts going for runs.

Australia will want to beef up their batting, Watson does that at the top of the order and Hopes is handy in the middle/lower order. It'll be more about restricting the opposition with the way cricket is heading these days and ensuring the team bats deep enough.

It is the way things are heading. I can see in 100 years should cricket still be as popular as it is now, everyone will be all rounders averaging 50 and bowling at 25.

I think it is essential for an ODI team to havt two all rounders, one pure one and one bowling/batting all rounder depending on the make up of the team.

I would only consider not playing Hopes if Lee, Bracken, Hauritz and Watson, as well as having Clarke, White and Hussey all with the ability of bowling. Hopes is a strike bowler, so dropping him is dropping that one of 3 strike bowlers eddie is talking about.

Siddle, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, McKay and the seemingly endless list of fast bowlers who have played of late have had good performances that are few and far between. Yes, almost every single game one or the other gets really good figures and seemingly wins the match (for example the Bollinger 5fa in India), but the rest are average. It's only when you can play bowlers who have set their place, ie Lee and Bracken that you can start mucking about with losing all rounders and adding batting depth.

I think the most likely line up is:

Watson, Marsh, Ponting, Clarke, White, Hussey, Haddin, Hopes, Johnson, Hauritz, Bollinger.

Then it is a question out of whether White or Siddle should play depending on if a bowler or batsman is needed. Most likely I think Siddle would be playing if it were me, not confident with that bowling line up.

Back