Australian Swing Bowlers

Re: Australian Swing Bowlers

I'd like to thank Harris for backing up my original point. Supurb swing and seam bowling. He's just proven it's not that hard to bowl swing then bowl seamers both at good pace and accurace. Two five wicket halls for next to no runs, great work!

In fairness though it was in the evening session with a brand new ball, optimal conditions to get new ball swing. There is saying that the difference between the red ball and the white ball is simply 'swing and sting'.

That is, their is a perception that the white ball swings more then the red ball, especially in the evening session and also that the white ball is marginally harder then the red.

Lets not get carried away.

All cricket matches start with a new ball and if it's one thing we could do a little better in tests is take more wickets with it. Harris used the swing to take wickets in his forst spell came on in his second spell and used the seam and bounce that was avaliable.

Good swing bowlers like Harris appears to be don't have to swing the ball to have an impact. He looks to have other methods of getting the ball to talk.

I'm not sure the red swings less than the white, the ball rearly always swings, sometimes it's just not that often. I recon swing bowling is a must have in ODI and T20 cricket. Attacking batsmen V the swinging ball the ball often wins.

I can't remember the new rock swinging for any length of time in the test matchs this summer, Hilfenhaus was the only one who got any substantial movement through the air but even then, Hilfenhaus has a slightly round arm action that makes it hard to tell whether it is genuine swing or simply the low arm action producing the allusion of the ball moving.

The conditions in Australia are just not conducive to persistent swing bowling.

Hilfenhaus got to ball to swing most of the time, it's just that the swing is often that subtle and early it's hard to notice without watching hawkeye. There is definatly room for a swing bowler in the test side as long as they have other strings to their bow such as the ability to bowl accuratly in unsupporting conditions, move it off the wicket, tie batsmen down and bowl with pace and bounce.

Harris can move it off the seam, bowl with pace and bounce and bowl accuratly which is why I like him. He can also swing it both ways.

Hilfenhaus is a classic outswing bowler. He bowls with perfect swing seam, and when there is little swing he cuts it back into the right handers. He can bowl a good line and length and tie the batsman down so he is still useful in bad swing conditions.

The thing is, a swing bowler uses the new ball and can get a few wickets with the new ball early. This means they are getting top order batsmen out cheap which is worth more than the other wickets.

gbatman;386855 said:
Harris can move it off the seam, bowl with pace and bounce and bowl accuratly which is why I like him. He can also swing it both ways..

Let's not get too carried away with Harris just yet, used to be an all rounder so bowling wasn't always his major area, that may catch up with him. Wouldn't go putting him near the Test side considering he hasn't played for Queensland full time in the longer format, opting mostly for the ODD side.

gbatman;386966 said:
ummmmm, he's a young cricketer who has been injured and is just coming back...

And before that he was just keeping his place in the unlimited overs side. Now he doesn't get a game there as the others are settled.

yeah yeah, hauritz was dropped by nsw and now he's performing really well for australia, doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

gbatman;387023 said:
yeah yeah, hauritz was dropped by nsw and now he's performing really well for australia, doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

I really like Harris, possibly more than you do, but while he isn't playing unlimited overs cricket he can't be considered for Tests. Give him until next season domestically and then I would consider him. He has always leant towards OD cricket performance wise.

Boris;387082 said:
I really like Harris, possibly more than you do, but while he isn't playing unlimited overs cricket he can't be considered for Tests. Give him until next season domestically and then I would consider him. He has always leant towards OD cricket performance wise.

yeah he's just come back from injury, probably needs to get fitter, he looks like he needs to find some fitness.

hmmmm, well Dan Christian is not a bad swing bowler and all round cricketer. Dirk Nannes has the ability to swing the ball...

gbatman;387205 said:
hmmmm, well Dan Christian is not a bad swing bowler and all round cricketer. Dirk Nannes has the ability to swing the ball...

Would like to see Dirk Nannes getting a big gig. Can really move the ball early especially the white pill. HAvent seen the 4-day effort yet.

yes, Dirk can't be far away, his pace, bounce and swing are very good. His accuracy may need some work but he's just come back for Victoria and he'll hit his straps soon.

Back