Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

marty344

Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

Okay we've lost the Ashes. As humilating as it is to handover the Ashes to the Poms we must move on, and leave that behind us. We need to conentate on the next series. By the way does anyone know when the next test series Austrlia plays is, and who we're playing?

First thing that we need to do is go over the Australian side and figure out who stays and who goes.
If you were a selector for the Australian test side who would you pick?

Here's my choices.
1) Phillip Huges - great batsmen, future of Australian test side.
2) Simon Katich - one of the best batsmen on the planet. he picks himself.
3) Ponting - again one of the best in the world, he stays in the team until he retires. but maybe he should hand over the captaincy so he can concentrate on the batting.
4) Michael Clarke - i think he showed nough in the Ashes that he's still a good batsmen (even though he makes some ridiculous decisions whilst batting eg, getting himself ran out) and should stay in the side.
5) (Marcus North) This is the spot that belonged to Hussey but i get rid of him because his form of late has been dodgy as.
6) Shane Watson - He gets picked as the all-rounder, even though i dont rate him as a bowler. at least he can bat well in the middle order (which is where he SHOULD have played in the Ashes).
7) Brad Haddin - i pick him as he's a good batter. however i think he needs to work on his keeping skills.
8) Bret Lee - one of the greatest of all time, he still has a few years left in him.
9) Mitchel Johnson - at his best he can destroy batting lineups. its just a shame he played so poor in the first two Ashes tests.
10) Peter Siddle - I think he is the better bowler than Hilfenhouse so he stays in the side.
11) Hauritz - every team needs a spinner. i'm not sure if he should be in the side or the spinner that got 9 wickets in a test match in India (his name eludes me)

what does everyone else think. who would you pick for the upcoming series, and not just that but for the long term?

re: Australian Test XI - Selection Thread

1. Hughes (simply should have been there all seris)

2. Katich (scoring well, great player, imo needs a big hundred)

3. Ponting (great player,great captain, tho he needs to score more constistantly and lead from the front.

4. Clarke (good player, next captian in, needs to learn to play closer to his body and cut out the stupid mistakes)

5. Mike hussey/cullum fergerson/voges

As we no hussey been a bit dry on runs, hopefully that 121 saved him and he regains respectiable form.

If he continues to show poor standards, then replace him with either Voges or Fergerson, voges showed for Aus A he has talent, and Fergerson has ODI experience.

6. North/ David Hussey
North has shown he is quiet a talent, time will tell if he is good enough, if all fails throw in hussey or why not even give hodge a contrac?

7. Watson

Batting, shown he can bat througout the series, hope he can get back to his best at bowling..

8. Siddle

Shows agression which Australia lack, been good on England soil, not a bad series at all.. Nice to see him on Australian pitches.

9. Johnson

Ops I ment to put him at 8, ohh well.. Form of late has been medioka, first 2 games in England where below par.
See how he responds on Australian pitches.
Adds to Australias batting aswell.

10. Hauritz

Imo, every team needs a spinner even on bouncy wickets.
Played well in ashes, needed to be picked for last match.

11. Hilfenhaus

Every team needs a swing bowler, and his the man..
Great maiden tour of England.

IMO Clark and Lee are over it, both have had injurys,

Other players

1. Lee
2. Clark
3. Tim paine
4. Voges
5. Fergerson
6. Gorege bailey
7. Mcdonald
8. Krezja ( if he can slow his ecnomy)
9. Michael klinger
10. Spinner for Vic can't think of name?? The young guy not mcgain

Jacques / hughes
katich
ponting
clarke
ferguson / watson
north
haddin
johnson
lee / hauritz or kreja spinning wicket only
siddle
hilfenhaus

petersiddle09;361586 said:
1. Hughes (simply should have been there all seris)

2. Katich (scoring well, great player, imo needs a big hundred)

3. Ponting (great player,great captain, tho he needs to score more constistantly and lead from the front.

4. Clarke (good player, next captian in, needs to learn to play closer to his body and cut out the stupid mistakes)

5. Mike hussey/cullum fergerson/voges

As we no hussey been a bit dry on runs, hopefully that 121 saved him and he regains respectiable form.

If he continues to show poor standards, then replace him with either Voges or Fergerson, voges showed for Aus A he has talent, and Fergerson has ODI experience.

6. North/ David Hussey
North has shown he is quiet a talent, time will tell if he is good enough, if all fails throw in hussey or why not even give hodge a contrac?

7. Watson

Batting, shown he can bat througout the series, hope he can get back to his best at bowling..

8. Siddle

Shows agression which Australia lack, been good on England soil, not a bad series at all.. Nice to see him on Australian pitches.

9. Johnson

Ops I ment to put him at 8, ohh well.. Form of late has been medioka, first 2 games in England where below par.
See how he responds on Australian pitches.
Adds to Australias batting aswell.

10. Hauritz

Imo, every team needs a spinner even on bouncy wickets.
Played well in ashes, needed to be picked for last match.

11. Hilfenhaus

Every team needs a swing bowler, and his the man..
Great maiden tour of England.

IMO Clark and Lee are over it, both have had injurys,

Other players

1. Lee
2. Clark
3. Tim paine
4. Voges
5. Fergerson
6. Gorege bailey
7. Mcdonald
8. Krezja ( if he can slow his ecnomy)
9. Michael klinger
10. Spinner for Vic can't think of name?? The young guy not mcgain

Are you going to want a keeper or give Watson the job now he cant bowl?
Haddin no good?

cold case;361593 said:
Are you going to want a keeper or give Watson the job now he cant bowl?
Haddin no good?

Ohh forgot him haha in a rush had to go, yeah id have him in my 11

i think all in all we've learnt a bit about our players in this tour, we've learnt that JOHNSON (as talented as he is) cant be relied upon, his best and worse are miles apart, you may also say that CLARK failed in the last test, but you must also put HILFINHAUS in that catagory also, i think all in all clarks a better option for the next summer (2 summers max), SIDDLE, shining light really and is probably the 1st quick picked from now on, he improved out of sight the longer the ashes tour went on, HAURITZ, so so, id prefer kreja but he can do a job, hopefully he works out how to land the googly soon, LEE ????? we'll see i suppose, i am hopefull though, KATICH, rock, picks himself, WATSON, did a great job, not an opener though unless he can work on the str8 ball, prefer him a 6 but cemented his spot for the summer, HUGHES, will be back, id like to see him get some 1st class runs against a good attack but im sure he will, should be back for the summer, PONTING, picks himself, CLARKE, looks to have taken the next step to me, i think nows the time to move the boy to 3, picks himself, HUSSEY, will get another shot, hopefully he comes good, NORTH, has cemented his spot for the summer, good player, haddin, dissapointing series for mine with bat and glove, showed very little ticker in his last innings but he has runs in the bank. IMO of course.

I think Jaques needs to score a lot of runs before his name comes up. There are a few state level openers who had big years while he was injured. Watson will hold his spot to start with and if he starts to slide then the spoils will go to the best performer at the time, except if Hughes (possibly) makes runs but has not addressed the hole in the technique.

Top half of the team should replicate the one used in the ashes, but putting Hughes back in and getting rid of Watson.

Bottom half:

Haddin - If his keeping does not improve....goodbye.

Hauritz - never again, if he cant wipe out a few BAD tail-enders on a turning track then he can go. Krezja Krezja Krezja!

Johnson - Yes, all rounder.

Lee - Yes, almost allrounder.

Clark - Yes, Until they can find another line and length, stump to stump bowler they need him otherwise Siddle and Johnno will leak runs all day.

Hilfy - Should of been in the team two years ago.

Rogers, Katich, Ponting, Clarke, North, Watson, Haddin, McDonald, Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus

Forget about Lee and Clark, its over for them, Rogers is the best opener in Australia, Watson cant convert but given a few 50's deserves a shot down the order in place of Hussey who doesnt deserve another chance

Bowling attack is pretty easy to pick, they are the 3 best pace bowlers available and McDonald and North are a better combination than Hauritz for the final bowling spot, Australia won 3 tests in a row with McDonald in and only lost the last when the side fell apart due to poor selections, then he doesnt play in England and they lose, coincidence? I think not :)

Hi...
I read your post and as per that i have names of player for test squards...
Ricky Ponting
Luke Ronchi
Brad Hodge
Michle Husey
David Hussey
cameron white
Michele clerk
Marcus North
Michelle Johnson
Peter siddle
Shaun Tait
shaun marsh
shane watson...
Thanks for sharing the post...

1.Hughes
2.Katich
3.Ponting
4.Clarke
15681735.gif

6.North
7.Haddin
8.Johnson
9.Lee
10.Siddle
11.Hilfenhaus

a for effort;365372 said:
1.Hughes
2.Katich
3.Ponting
4.Clarke
15681735.gif

6.North
7.Haddin
8.Johnson
9.Lee
10.Siddle
11.Hilfenhaus

Couldn't argue with that side. Wish it was a month or so ago!

1. Hughes
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Hauritz
11. Siddle

OR

1. Watson/Hughes
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. North
6. Haddin
7. Johnson
8. Lee
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle
11. Hilfenhaus

It depends on whether you want Johnson to be played as a genuine allrounder or not. To be honest, I'm not sure he has the technique or temperament to be much more than a very useful pinch-hitting number 8, but it may be worthwhile trialling him in the position, as there is only one way to find out.

If Ferguson is playing in our test team at the moment, then we're stuffed.

The guy is a decent ODI player, granted, but he hasn't done anything at first class level to suggest that his ready for test match cricket. Id take Hussey before Ferguson. Id even consider Cam White before Ferguson if a spot in the batting lineup opened up.

Don't know what the love in with the guy is all about.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;365931 said:
If Ferguson is playing in our test team at the moment, then we're stuffed.

The guy is a decent ODI player, granted, but he hasn't done anything at first class level to suggest that his ready for test match cricket. Id take Hussey before Ferguson. Id even consider Cam White before Ferguson if a spot in the batting lineup opened up.

Don't know what the love in with the guy is all about.

i agree with you partly.

i think he will be in the side, but not yet.

and has anyone compared the ODI side and the test side recently?
a 6-1 flogging compared to a 2-1 mediocre loss.
a great side compared to a pretty terrible looking side.

as soon as i saw the ODI side i knew it was going to be good. had a bowling attack that could get wickets and batsman that would either get runs or not, but not at the same time (so that if one failed another stepped up in replacement).

thats the complete opposite of the test side. nobody knows what place they are meant to fill. the whole team is made of players that shouldnt be playing, newbies, good players and a couple of legends. reminds me of the west indian side.

what happened to the test side?

Boris;366598 said:
has anyone compared the ODI side and the test side recently?
Boris;366598 said:
No and for good reason!

Do you read what you are posting or just type random words and hope they make some sense. Test cricket is totally different to one day cricket... Many players who can play the one day game cannot play test cricket as they ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH (i.e. hopes, warner, braken...)!

Boris;366598 said:
and has anyone compared the ODI side and the test side recently?a 6-1 flogging compared to a 2-1 mediocre loss.
a great side compared to a pretty terrible looking side.

No and for good reason!

Do you read what you are posting or just type random words and hope they make some sense. Test cricket is totally different to one day cricket... Many players who can play the one day game cannot play test cricket as they ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH (i.e. hopes, warner, braken...)!

i was just saying that because it used to be the other way round.

australia used to be completely dominant in tests but at least with ODIs the opposition had some sort of a sniff into winning.

i know they are completely different games. if you want to know why im the person to ask.

my grandfather was talking to me about cricket the other day, a game he has watched for a hell of a long time. he even saw bradman bat at the SCG. he knows the game.

he has watched ODIs grow larger and larger, from a rebel league to the most populous form of the game. he was saying to me that it is very strange for australia to be winning like this in comparison to the test team.

a large number of players in the ODI side actually play better in unlimited overs cricket for their state. for example james hopes has twice the record playing the four day game compared to the 50 over game. and yet he is helping australia win ODIs and not tests. (thats only an example of one player, bracken is similar).

when he and i look at the ODI side we both say "good", or "im glad hes playing". when we look at the test side we are both saying "ok" or "why is he playing?". this was before the average playing started.

the ODI side is filled with players with experience, with young players to back them up with enthusiasm. the test side is just a couple of older players, both not in the best of form (ponting and hussey, clarke is still young and behaves that way) and then the rest are newbies with nobody to look up to, nobody to support them. 7 of the side is filled with players starting, or just started their career. and then players like mitchell johnson, still finding his feet IMO, has been forced to lead a bowling attack that hes not confident with. he goes out of form and the others cant consistently back him up.

they are all good players, the newbies, just not all at once. in 20 years they are all going to retire at about the same time and this same "transition" period will happen.

my grandfather said he has never hear of a transition period. he thinks its absolute BS. a player retires, a new one comes in. but then again he doesnt normally see SIX players retire within two seasons. that is over half a team. that is stupid to let happen, and the selectors really have to notice that you cant just pluck a whole heap of young uns and put them in the team to 'develop' into a great player. because in 20 years the exact same thing will happen.

dont argue my choice of players here, just the theory itself. when two bowlers, half the bowling attack, retire you shouldnt replace them both with two debutants.

the old line up:
warne
mcgrath
clark
lee

new line up with replacements in same spot:
hauritz (no tests)
johnson (few tests)
siddle (no tests)
hilfenhaus (no tests)

obviously it was unfortunate that clark and lee were injured. i can accept that. but as soon as they were fit they should have both been in the side. please dont argue the player side of things, this is more a theoretical argument with names to make it easier.

johnson had been picked as mcgraths replacement. that was fine because he had been in the test arena before and played well.

warne didnt have a replacement at the time because of the lack of spinners. put a new guy in and get his experience up as usual. that is the hauritz/krezja thing. i like mcgain but it is a bit outrageous with his age.

clark and lee were doing very well before injury and then the 'age' thing came up.

who cares about the age for them? its no use having THREE debutants and one newish player. its going to be about two seasons before there is any rythym. that is 4+ series lost because of them. that could take near 5 years to build the teams ICC ranking up again. long time.

instead of playing both siddle and hilfy in replacement of both of them, an older player should have been picked for balance. there is no way to replace experience, and people dont notice how much an effect it is on them.

even siddle said he would have selected lee in the side with him for the ashes just because he performed much better with him there for support. if he has a question about something, its no use asking hilfy about it.

obviously they arent little kids at a new school learning to tie their shoelaces, but the effect is large.

even a player like bracken could have been selected in there. he used to play tests, and quite well. he was the injury replacement player. im not saying he is the one to pick here, but at least someone who has had some sort of experience.

its just stupid that we whinge and moan about this transition period, when it never should have happened.

half the team is too much to disappear at once. now are you wondering why hussey wasnt dropped a while ago? seven players? that is just crazy. may as well fire the team and put up a whole new one.

name any team in the world that in the last 20 or more years has lost 5 or more players at once. its a hard job.

Back