Back and Across?

the_socialite

Back and Across?

I have trouble edging the ball against faster bowlers, would making my first movement back and across help this in anyones opinion?

Re: Back and Across?

The easy answer is that it would depend on the ball.

It sounds like that you're not getting in line with the ball in the first place, hence edging it.

I don't move my feet too much, so I find it hard against the outswinger, which most balls i face seem to be and i've found that rectifying my lack of front foot movement is going to take a lot longer than simply moving by back foot across

Sometimes a trigger movement, such as the 'back and across' foot movement can help both feet get moving. For an exaggerated example, look at Katich bat, this is the kind of thing I mean. This kind of movement can raise other issues such as falling over the ball or squaring yourself up, but I've found that that initial back-foot movement can make it a lot easier to get the front foot moving aswell

the_socialite;304093 said:
I don't move my feet too much...

As mas says, this really is the key. Unless you are light on your feet, you are commiting yourself to certain shots before you know how the ball will react. It is all very well watching release and trying to track to bounce but you must still be prepared for the unexpected and if you are solidly planted, you are 'stuck'.

Keep on your toes like a boxer and your knees soft, ready to spring in any direction when needed. Even the slightest adjustment can make a huge difference.

I would not worry too much about trigger moves until you can get in position in the first place. You are risking your head moving at the point of delivery which is fatal.

A lack of trigger move is unlikely to be the cause of your issues. It rarely is at club level.

Next time you have a net session at training, (if you don't already), take guard at centre to centre. Keep your head still and upright. Anything pitching outside of your eyeline, just leave it. If the bowler comes wide of the crease, you should be able to get in behind the ball as anything that is going to hit your stumps shouldn't be too hard to get behind even if you have minimal feet movement.

The key to this drill as I said is to 1. keep your head still and, 2. really watch the ball.

Many people and maybe even yourself may like to use net sessions to just try and hit the ball. If you are like this and feel its essential to giving yourself the best chance to perform at your best this weekend, then perhaps ask your net captain for another hit and explain why you would like it. If that fails ask a mate just to do some throwdowns with you in some spare time.

I'd have to agree with Micoach and say leave out a trigger movement for now. It'll just over complicate the issue.

The drill above is worth trying, the key here is not only in getting you to move your feet but to gain a better awareness of where the ball is pitching and where it is likely to go. Keeping the head still (and balanced) and eyes level, is the thing that is going to give you the best chance of this.

That'll be ideal. You're looking at technique, not the end result so don't worry too much about where the ball ends up, focus on where it pitches etc.

Perhaps you are backing away mate ?

I used to have a similar problem until I developed a back and across movement.

I took gaurd at off stump and if the ball was out side off I would move backwards and push across before deciding to play or leave it helped alot especially with the out swing bowlers as I became a better judge of a leave and left most of the out swingers alone. :)

Nah, it isnt an issue of backing away. I had my first hit of the year on Saturday, in the 2nds and I made 10, but was judging the ball outside off well, so it wasn't such a failure

the_socialite;308198 said:
Nah, it isnt an issue of backing away. I had my first hit of the year on Saturday, in the 2nds and I made 10, but was judging the ball outside off well, so it wasn't such a failure

Good to hear. :)

Another common fault that cause a player to edge the ball is being too closed off with the feet or shoulders. Get someone to have a look to see if they line up right.

Back