Back pain/Fitness Plan

kallis fan

Back pain/Fitness Plan

I have been having trouble with back pain that I first noticed during about the middle of the English summer. I am relatively young and this concerning at such a young age. Are there are stretches that I could do on a daily basis to prevent any further issues with my back?

Also, I'm keen to find out what sort of regime that I should be undertaking, in the way of press up, sit ups etc. I have access to a treadmill and will soon have access to a bike. Bear in mind I'm still at school.

Re: Back pain/Fitness Plan

We have Liz, who is one of our members whos a physiotherapist, im sure as i said to your batting question. When she gets on, im sure she will help.

Sorry, not a physio; a sports therapist but I hope I will do :D

What sort of pain are we talking about; dull or sharp?

Is this in the lower back?

If so, is it just one side?

Does this hurt at all times or just during certain movements?

Do you ever bowl pace?

I'm deeply sorry Liz ;) Not clever enough to be a physio? Or are they just geeks? :p I think Sports Therapist sounds better :laugh:

Thanks for the responses.

It's a reasonable dull pain, though it is my upper back that I am having issues with. I can't feel it all the time - though I can now having bowled yesterday.

- I don't bowl pace.

Just trying to sound a bit clever here, althouhg im sure Liz will say otherwise.

How old are you? If your body is still growing then it could just be that.

Is the pain just below the neck or is it around the shoulder blade area?

If the latter, is it both sides of just the one?

It is around the shoulder blade area. It is predominantly my right side, and when I move my arm 360 degrees there is a noise. This is the case on both sides, however less evident on my left side.

Liz, having been searching the web for a bit, I am now quite concerned.

Dactylytis is the swelling of fingers and toes, making them become 'sausage shaped'.

Now I had the joints of my fingers become swelled and red and my fingers becoming enlarged the winter before last.

It says it can occur in ankylosing spondylitis.

Now please, please, please tell me that this isn't likely to be present in me.

On a side note, my knees have been slightly 'stiff' but nothing at all major, and my toes have been painful upon waking up.

It is very, very unlikely but if you are at all worried, please do not hesitate to make an appointment with your GP.

The swelling can be symptoms of many things; even food intolerance, gluten especially. This could also be the cause of your knees being stiff. Dairy can also cause problems, as can an insect bite.

The stiff knees could also be the result of poor biomechanics.

Some people just have noisy joints; you can hear my youngest son coming from a mile away with all his clicking and creaking :D

As for your back, how do you carry your school bag?

Thanks for clearing that up.

If I do get another issue with my finger joints, I think I will make an appointment.

I carry my school bag fairly conventionally. By that I mean 2 straps on my shoulders etc......

To be honest, I am not too concerned about the pain itself but I shall admit that I am concerned about the length of time you have been suffering.

It sounds to me that you pulled a muscle [either the rhomboid, trapezius or latissimus dorsi] but I would expect it to be getting back to normal by now, unless you are doing something that constantly aggravates it.

Do you remember what you were doing when the pain first occurred?

Can you be more specific about the area ie is it under the shoulder blade, below it, above it, to one side of it etc?

I am sorry about all the questions; it's a little frustrating not being able to feel or see for myself but if we persevere, we shall get to the bottom of it :)

Early July, I would say, as I remember struggling with it in game 2 of the 'turnover' when fixtures are reversed from the first half of the season.

I have been bowling since - I don't feel pain when I'm playing generally, it's just the after effects.

It is just above the shoulder blade area. It's not so much at the present moment they are painful - but the next day following they are stiff and feel tight.

As stupid as this sounds, I'm also suffering with pain lower down in my back. Not really low, but lower than my shoulder blade.

Thanks for your time.

- thanks HD.

Take a look at my reply to Timed Out [November 13, 2007, 07:00:11 PM] Under the "My injuries" thread.

Also, take a look at http://www.harrowdrive.com/core-stability-for-cricket-a-dummies-guide/

...I know you do not bowl pace but the 'core bit' still applies.

It looks like your problem is lack of proper warm up and cool down. I know you feel a tool, being the only one doing these, but if you wish to maximise your potential set aside enough time to do these properly; the others will probably join you after the first few sessions.

Have a go and let us know how you get on.

Will do. Will report back my progress in this thread. Just trawling through that article at the moment!!!!!!

;)

Liz Ward said:
It looks like your problem is lack of proper warm up and cool down. I know you feel a tool, being the only one doing these, but if you wish to maximise your potential set aside enough time to do these properly; the others will probably join you after the first few sessions.

You won't look so much of a tool when you're injury free and some other poor soul is writhing on the floor in pain.

As Liz said, i'm sure others will join in once they've seen you do it a few times, you never know, some of the others probably want warm up now but are waiting for someone to take the lead.

i have a problem with my lower back
and i really need someone to help fix it
it only happens when i bowl
and im a pace bowler
whats wrong
everyone iv asked doesnt have a solution or an idea to what it is
its in the lower left side of my back and its a stabbing pain
maybe muscular??

kizza said:
i have a problem with my lower back