Back Pain

I recall a physio saying I had scoliosis a few years back. It is toward the lower back. Sorry to plague you with all the problems. Yeh, I missed the net session - I was too stiff to bend down too many times, never mind try to bowl 70mph off a four step run up. I probably won't play much uni cricket, but I can spend some good time in the gym and try to be fit for when I come to play club cricket in late June. Surely, it'll be okay by then. Anyway, going to try the Harrowdrive Workout B for beginners now...

Try to source an inversion table in your area. Great results!
wink.png

Web%20Inversion.jpg-for-web-normal-1268936694.jpg

Okay, would quite like to turn this thread into a training journal.

Implicit is that I perform two types of hamstring stretch per day. One where I rest one leg on a high surface for 30s and then change legs. The other stretch is lying, lifting one very slightly bent leg and wrapping an elastic back support around the foot and pulling to keep the stretch for 30s both legs.

I've been rotating Workout A and Workout B from the Pitchvision four week programme. I have had problems completing the workouts but I can log it here to try to gauge improvement. It looks like it will be Workout A today...

I'm also performing the exercises from http://kspine.net/exercise-programmes.html]here[/url]. Last night, I performed 3x10 partial sit ups. I think this has left slight soreness in the upper middle of the back which should fade in a day or two. I did Level 1 Bridging Exercise, which I find difficult, perhaps due to weak calf strength to support the hip raise. I did Level 4 Quadruped Exercise too, though it did put stress on the arm which was to support the whole body when one arm and one leg was raised. I also did Level 1 Prone Exercise too.

In the run up to the Easter holidays, I've lost discipline but been rotating the back rehab exercises, Workout A, Workout B and been stretching my hamstrings at every opportunity. The issue is that I do feel a dull pain in the lower right back/glute still. I feel that I'm definitely not 100% fit when that pain is there, despite it being the most minuscule niggle you can imagine. Or should I try to bowl despite it being there and see how it feels after a few balls. I've been picked for the University 3rds (shocking, considering I missed the last five weeks of nets) which have a game in 5 weeks. Surely, c'mon, surely it'll be okay by then, right?

Saw the physio again. He said that as before, the sacrum has fallen and this time he noted that he saw the pulling of the piriformis muscle. He gave me a stretch to do for that and one for the hamstring and one for the quad, which I'll use to replace the current ones I am doing. He said I'll be sore from the treatment for 2-3 days. I'll stop all bodyweight training until then (was doing some 3x4 chin ups per day while the right glute was feeling sore before) and get on with the leg stretches. He seemed sure I'll be fit for the beginning of the season in five weeks and said I should be looking to return in no more than a couple weeks.

It really was my fault for not getting to learn it better while I was there but I don't entirely understand the one he gave me. It involves lying with one leg straight and the other leg bent with the outer knee resting on a wall. You then apply pressure with the knee resting on the wall to the wall for 5s and repeat for 3 sets each leg. I tried doing it but couldn't feel a stretch. So I'm doing the one received via PM where you are sitting with one foot resting on the other knee and leaning forward. I'm unsure of how long and how often this stretch should be done though, so some information on that would be great. Currently, I hold the moderate stretch for 2s and then hold the greater stretch for an additional 10s. This is for both legs and I do 2 sets, 2 times a day.

For the hamstring, he recommends the one where you rest the leg on a moderately high surface for 10s each leg twice a day. For the quad, it is the standard quad stretch but with the hand holding the opposite leg and the leg applying downward force to the floor.

Liz, you might find it interesting to note that his diagnosis started as he asked me to touch my toes and noted only rotation on the left side. Also, feel I may have misled you by using the term physio, I believe his qualification is in osteopathy.

It really was my fault for not getting to learn it better while I was there but I don't entirely understand the one he gave me. It involves lying with one leg straight and the other leg bent with the outer knee resting on a wall. You then apply pressure with the knee resting on the wall to the wall for 5s and repeat for 3 sets each leg. I tried doing it but couldn't feel a stretch. So I'm doing the one received via PM where you are sitting with one foot resting on the other knee and leaning forward. I'm unsure of how long and how often this stretch should be done though, so some information on that would be great. Currently, I hold the moderate stretch for 2s and then hold the greater stretch for an additional 10s. This is for both legs and I do 2 sets, 2 times a day.

No worries... it happens. It's hard to take everything in at speed. Is the exercise whilst sitting on your bottom? If so, this is not a stretch but a strengthening exercise.

The exercise you're doing from the PM... instead of leaning forward, pull the leg resting on the floor towards you and the push the knee of the other leg away from you. Hold for 10s, 30s for development.

For the hamstring, he recommends the one where you rest the leg on a moderately high surface for 10s each leg twice a day. For the quad, it is the standard quad stretch but with the hand holding the opposite leg and the leg applying downward force to the floor.

When you are doing the standard quad stretch, make sure your knees are together [touching]. I am not keen to hold the opposite leg and would never advise it, especially if this is a standing stretch, but you need to go with your advice

Liz, you might find it interesting to note that his diagnosis started as he asked me to touch my toes and noted only rotation on the left side. Also, feel I may have misled you by using the term physio, I believe his qualification is in osteopathy.

Osteopath is good if he is properly qualified. It is a different discipline to my work but, done well, is very successful.

Keep at it :D!

Got the three sets of stretches done (hamstring, piriformis, quad) today but generally feel especially tender and sore. For the piriformis, I'm unsure how I'm supposed to be applying this pressure? Supposing I have the left foot on the right knee. Is my left hand applying downward and away pressure on my right knee and my right hand pulling my right leg toward me? I'm slightly confused there.

The piriformis strengthening exercise given is whilst lying down on my back, yes.

Thanks for your help. I've never successfully rehabbed an injury before and am so entirely skeptical that I'll be okay to bowl pace in the season, but your help really is appreciated.

... For the piriformis, I'm unsure how I'm supposed to be applying this pressure? Supposing I have the left foot on the right knee. Is my left hand applying downward and away pressure on my right knee and my right hand pulling my right leg toward me? I'm slightly confused there.

Left hand applying away pressure to left knee... right hand pulling the right knee towards you - hold the back of your thigh.

Okay, so currently, it is a pretty relaxed program of the piriformis stretch for 30s both legs, twice a day. The quad stretch mentioned before, 10s both legs, twice a day and ditto for the hamstring stretch. And I'm seeing the osteopath on Saturday to get his piriformis stretch confirmed. I'm pretty sure that an approved stretch is an approved stretch and so it won't matter too much which one I'm doing. There has been zero improvement yet, but I'll keep an open mind for now.

Could you just clarify a couple of things for me FBI:

Firstly, are we talking sacral subluxation?

Secondly, are you sure the guy you are seeing is not a chiropractor?

I'm not sure what it is precisely called. I'll ask him on Saturday. To me, he said the sacrum was fallen, he said on a maybe related note that he worked to get my legs at the same length and to get my hips lined up properly.

I'm unsure. Intuitively, I think he seems like a chiropractor. Looking on his wall though, there is definitely qualifications in osteopathy.

Just checked his business card, definitely an osteopath.

Looking online, it does not look like recovery times for his condition are good or well known. I hope I'll be better in a couple weeks, because that is when I plan to give it a go in the nets. However, of course, it is unlikely I will go to nets if there is still a dull pain in everyday life. I've been performing the hamstring stretch, quad stretch and two piriformis stretches twice a day, as prescribed. I'm seeing him on Sunday for (I'm unsure the technical name), some sort of gentle electric massage treatment where it puts what feels like a slight shock through certain points in my back and butt muscle.

The dull pain is definitely still there. I dunno if it has improved slightly or perhaps gotten worse. For me, by and large, the pain seems the same that it ever was.

Without knowing the diagnosis, it is hard for me to comment but I am not sure the treatment is right for you. Your treatment appears to be concerned with improving the symptoms rather than the cause, but I will be able to comment more when I know. However, if there is an issue with your lower spine [and 'fallen' does not mean anything!] that is inhibiting the sciatic nerve, this is what needs to be treated. No matter how much you work on the upper leg, if the cause is still there, you will not see any improvement, because it is still 'causing' your issues.

'Fallen' may have been misheard on my part.

I really will press him on what the recovery time if his diagnosis is right, should be. If I go way beyond that time, without improvement, I will look to another doctor (maybe a physio this time) and perhaps press them to look at the lower back for the cause of the injury. I just hope I'm fit for the first university game which is now in about four weeks time. But that looks unlikely at this point. However, remaining optimistic, I am going to see him for that massage thing described earlier, on Sunday and then again next week. He said it should be better by end of next week and so still some time to go for the muscle to strengthen and heal up a bit.

Had some treatment from the osteopath, today. It mainly consisted of interferential therapy with some treatment on the legs and massage on the hamstrings. He noted some problems with the psoas muscle which he attempted to fix. He said to wait a week and then ring him to see how it is.

Have to say... not a great fan of IFT. Unless for pre or post orthopaedic surgery, I know it can be used for general pain relief but then it is pointless unless used at least three times a day for about 15 minutes for between 14-30 days. Even then, it is useless if the cause is still causing the pain!

Did you get a proper diagnosis?

Nothing really. Basically, we start with my back to him and I bend down to touch my toes. He says I lean to one side and so he looks to remedy this. He noted that the pain is in the piriformis and that there was problems with the psoas of my left hip. No 'single' diagnosis though. He also expresses concern that although my hamstrings are pretty well toned, they completely stiffen up and hence why I can't get near touching my toes.

Back