BARCLAY SHIELD 2023/24

Who will win Barclay Shield this season?

• Total voters
Unfortunately, what/who is currently playing is the last crop of decent cricket left for the competition. In 8-10 years/seasons from now, senior cricket as a whole will not be the same.

With the exception of a rare few, the standards have definitely dropped over the past 20 years.

I feel that finding a good batsman these days is harder and harder to come by.
Average bowlers are made to look much better because of the lack of quality batsman around in the competition
I think the issue is ‘smart’ batsmen and batting. Bowling is mostly pedestrian that preys on the ability of batters to be patient, seize momentum and build an innings.

9 out of 10 if not 10/10 batsmen these days get themselves out via impatience and poor shot selection, not good deliveries.

There are no Terry Keys, Tony Corcoran, Peter Candy, Adam McGinty, Hurst bro, Paul Bakers etc giving blokes a real work over or putting fear into you. Not to mention a matting surface to contend with.

No excuse for any side, mine included to not at the very least bat 80 overs and get somewhere near or beyond 200 every week.

Had a crack at a bit of a predictor for the remainder of the season, maths not a strong suit so don't shoot me if I got it wrong, just thought it would be interesting.

Heidelberg 51
Epping 48
Macleod 45
NEW 42
Riverside 27
Rosanna 27
Research 27
Bundoora 27
Rosebank 21
Diamond Creek 15

Riverside vs NEW +6
Diamond Creek +6
vs Bundoora
Rosanna vs Epping +6
Macleod +6
vs Heidelberg
Rosebank +6 vs Research

Heidelberg +6 vs Riverside
Rosanna+6 vs Research
Bundoora vs Rosebank +6
Macleod +6
vs NEW
Diamond Creek vs Epping +6

Rosebank + 6
vs Riverside
Research vs Macleod+6
Epping +6
vs Heidelberg
Rosanna + 6 vs Diamond Creek
NEW +6 vs Bundoora

Epping 66
Macleod 63
Heidelberg 57
NEW 54
Rosanna 39
Rosebank 39
Bundoora 27
Research 27
Riverside 27
Diamond Creek 21

Didn't have my tipping shoes on this round. Going again with my predictor.

Rosanna+6 vs Research
Bundoora vs Rosebank +6
Macleod +6
vs NEW

Rosebank + 6
vs Riverside
Research vs Macleod+6
Epping +6
vs Heidelberg
NEW +6 vs Bundoora

Epping 66
Heidelberg 63
Macleod 57
NEW 48
Rosebank 39
Rosanna 39
Bundoora 33
Riverside 33
Research 27
Diamond Creek 15

I think the issue is ‘smart’ batsmen and batting. Bowling is mostly pedestrian that preys on the ability of batters to be patient, seize momentum and build an innings.

9 out of 10 if not 10/10 batsmen these days get themselves out via impatience and poor shot selection, not good deliveries.

There are no Terry Keys, Tony Corcoran, Peter Candy, Adam McGinty, Hurst bro, Paul Bakers etc giving blokes a real work over or putting fear into you. Not to mention a matting surface to contend with.

No excuse for any side, mine included to not at the very least bat 80 overs and get somewhere near or beyond 200 every week.
Agreed. Batsmen who can bat time will go for a premium. Apparently Creek approached B.Dawson from the NMCA after Camrea were initially booted, as well as Rosebank, Epping and BU. Bloke batted the full 80 overs a few weeks back for 135* (Albeit in a shit comp). Ton for rosebank in the one game on loan earlier this year would’ve raised some eyebrows.

Agreed. Batsmen who can bat time will go for a premium. Apparently Creek approached B.Dawson from the NMCA after Camrea were initially booted, as well as Rosebank, Epping and BU. Bloke batted the full 80 overs a few weeks back for 135* (Albeit in a shit comp). Ton for rosebank in the one game on loan earlier this year would’ve raised some eyebrows.
Thanks for your 2 cents Blair

Didn't have my tipping shoes on this round. Going again with my predictor.

Rosanna+6 vs Research
Bundoora vs Rosebank +6
Macleod +6
vs NEW

Rosebank + 6
vs Riverside
Research vs Macleod+6
Epping +6
vs Heidelberg
NEW +6 vs Bundoora

Epping 66
Heidelberg 63
Macleod 57
NEW 48
Rosebank 39
Rosanna 39
Bundoora 33
Riverside 33
Research 27
Diamond Creek 15
Is it just Riverside that can still make it outside of the 4 due to the way the fixture plays out?

I think thats right, but Riverside do play Heidelberg this week, so lose that and the top 4 is set.
Bundoora don't have the %% to catch up but have had a serviceable year
Will be interesting to see how it all finishes up and who plays Macleod. They are the team you don’t want to play if you’re Epping or Heidelberg in the first round.
Just my two cents.

Scenario: This round, NEW lose to Macleod, Bundoora win against Rosebank, Riverside lose to Heidelberg.

Then the final round is NEW v Bundoora to play finals. So they're not dead in the water yet.
Another Scenario: This round, IF Rosanna/Research OUTRIGHT win to either, Rosebank OUTRIGHT win over Bundoora, Riverside lose to Heidelberg and NEW lose (as well as lose in last round), then either Rosanna/Research/Rosebank finish 4th
Long shot but you just never know

Another Scenario: This round, IF Rosanna/Research OUTRIGHT win to either, Rosebank OUTRIGHT win over Bundoora, Riverside lose to Heidelberg and NEW lose (as well as lose in last round), then either Rosanna/Research/Rosebank finish 4th
Long shot but you just never know
Is this in the conversation at Cotchin ? Do tell Mr F.
That's a hell of a lot of ifs

Scenario: This round, NEW lose to Macleod, Bundoora win against Rosebank, Riverside lose to Heidelberg.

Then the final round is NEW v Bundoora to play finals. So they're not dead in the water yet.
I am always one to root for the underdog.
Go Bundoora.
Would be very interesting to see considering they were in relegation conversations only 2 matches ago.

Knowing the Epping lads religiously check this site for any updates about them, I'm wondering if they can provide an update on where Cheema has been? Was actually having pretty good season

Back