"Barmy Army" boosts Australian economy

My educational background is in economics, and I enjoy any discussion of it. This article here combines two issues that interest me and thought some here would enjoy it:

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - The "Barmy Army" of travelling cricket fans helped boost the Australian economy by $265 million (133 million pounds) during the Ashes and one-day series, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Tuesday.

An Economic Impact Study released by CA and the Australian government found that the Ashes and subsequent one-day series helped attract some 37,000 international visitors to Australia.The research found more that 60 percent came to Australia because of the Ashes contest and each visitor spent an average of $8,800 during their trip, staying for an average of 30 days.

Re: "Barmy Army" boosts Australian economy

well, i am not surprised. they travel to almost every tour where england goes. Plus they travel in large packs in a united front- its not the casual fans going with no communication.

i'd go as far as saying they are probably the best organized supporters group of any sport.

Re: "Barmy Army" boosts Australian economy

Yeah, surprising how much discretionary income those bums
have to spend on cricket when they live in your parents basement
9 months of the year rent free.

Back