Barwon Under 21's

Re: Barwon Under 21's

thommy_rissole;279931 said:
We won the toss and decided to bat.

Friday's rain made the Thomson outfield slow but it was looking picture-esque.

With a strong team and everyone arriving on time ready to play things were looking good for the BC Barwon Rockets.

Things weren't so rosey at 2-3, Hodgson (0) and Kilfoyle (2) been and gone. Herbison and Troy batted for 10 overs and steadied the innings before a short one got too big on Herbison (10) and bottomed edged it onto his stumps. O'Neill and Troy put on 30 before Troy ballooned one to mid wicket where a great catch was taken by the Central Highland fielder. East Belmont Freak of Nature Becker Nguyen came into the crease and dismantled the legspinner down Godfrey St a couple of times. Becker (40) was run-out by a direct hit from backward point with the score on 5-135 with 10 overs to go.
The left handed Jimmy Fitzerald was keen to take on the short midwicket boundary, but somehow the ball was getting held up in the slow outfield. O'Neill (49) departed toeing a sweep to deep midwicket. Fitzgerald and Armisted chanced their arms in the last 5, both making (15) before both losing their wickets. Prime holed out to long off in the 48th over for a golden duck. 2 balls into the last over Strods (0*) decided it would be a good idea to run a single to the keeper standing up the stumps, thus burning Sammy Farnsworth. BC Barwon Rockets were all out for 183.

In the tea break Mitch Troy told me that the Central Highlands opener Sam Miller posted 100 off 20 overs in the Senior Country Week Final against Geelong. Was really starting to look forward to fielding.

Opener Bowlers started off well with Sammy Farnsworth (0-35) bowling at good speed and getting the ball to move around quite alot but him and Sean Bogan (0-30) couldn't get the breakthrough. With Mitch Herbison (0-16) departing at 4:30 for his club 20/20 match he came on first change and again got the ball to move through air but with no luck as the two Highland openers were becoming impossible to remove. Both openers passed 50 whilst Mitch Troy (0-41) and Xavier Prime (0-40) were bowling. Good ground fielding was keeping pressure on both the batsmen with several run-out oppurtunities going very close. Anthony Armisted (3-21) was introduced with immediate success and the momentum of the match started to swing. Assisted with some luck for the Rockets with run-out attempts finallt hitting the stumps, Highlands needed 13 runs with 4 overs remaing. Some tight bowling and excellent ground fielding kept us in the match but with only 4 runs needed off the last over with 5 wickets in hand it we were always going to be up against it. A nick down to 3rd man and the match was over. Highlands beating the Rockets by 5 wickets with 4 balls to spare.

Armisted was the pick of the bowlers bowling his 10 straight and nearly stealing us the win. Most pleasing aspect was even though all day in the field we were up against it we stuck at it and never gave up.

Very dissapointing to lose but there opening batsmen were just too good, if we had of got them earlier it might have changed the result of the match.

Kudos to Sean Bogen for arriving at the Barwon Club with his cricket shirt on and Zinc'd up.

Also thank you to the Thomson Cricket Club for staging the match and everyone involved with the U21's this season.
gee rissole... as a captain i thort u would of brought on a fellow big cricketer... a lot earlier.. as he was the pick of the bowlers and all

thommy_rissole;279931 said:
In the tea break Mitch Troy told me that the Central Highlands opener Sam Miller posted 100 off 20 overs in the Senior Country Week Final against Geelong. Was really starting to look forward to fielding.

he smashes it..... not sure i would have been looking forward to fielding:eek:

-Well batted Riss. Drove very well.
-Well bowled Ants. Though i didn't get to see the 2nd innnings, your figures speak for themselves.
-The boy Nguyen batted well also after taking a bit to get going. Some of his pulls off the spinner were worth the admission price alone.
-Sam Miller; possibly one of the best u/21 cricketers in the state. Bats extremely well and for a bloke who just strolls into the wicket, he can let them go at the bowling crease as well. From memory, he may have even been an emergency for the senior Vic Counry side as well last season.

I Bowl Meat Pies;280173 said:
gee rissole... as a captain i thort u would of brought on a fellow big cricketer... a lot earlier.. as he was the pick of the bowlers and all

Yes he was the pick of the bowlers, but i think i bowled him at the right time.
The plan was to bowl him out downwind as he bowls full and straight, ideal for the final overs of a one-dayer. Did a great job.

If Miller felt like it he could hit the ball wherever he wanted to. Thought we did well to contain him, no wonder he has been of much interest to a few select GCA Clubs, doesn't mind talking himself up either, but i spose when your that good you can do what you like.

For those who might be interested.

I have been informed that Cenral Highlands won the VCCL U21 Competition, not sure who they defeated in the final.

Central Highlands batsman Sam Miller making 148 in a MOTM Performance.

thommy_rissole;290428 said:

I have been informed that Cenral Highlands won the VCCL U21 Competition, not sure who they defeated in the final.

he didnt mind facing scowny and rhysy at cw last year.:D

we shoulda beaten them. u shoulda bowled rissole u from the other end and me from my end we woulda had it in the bag. plus i sorted that bloke out, which makes me unreal lol

ants14;290482 said:
we shoulda beaten them. u shoulda bowled rissole u from the other end and me from my end we woulda had it in the bag. plus i sorted that bloke out, which makes me unreal lol

I think he got bored and didn't want to bat anymore

A rare talent. He is u/21s but also made open-age Vic Country side.

a for effort;290499 said:
I think he got bored and didn't want to bat anymore

he cant have been getting bored dont be stupid, the other guy was having fun aiming for ur missus car, he could have joined in that act if he hadnt been beaten by a fine piece of bowling. when are we catching up for another drinking sesh mate? we play this sunday im thinking out after? u can repay me for the beers u owe me

ants14;290994 said:
he cant have been getting bored dont be stupid, the other guy was having fun aiming for ur missus car, he could have joined in that act if he hadnt been beaten by a fine piece of bowling. when are we catching up for another drinking sesh mate? we play this sunday im thinking out after? u can repay me for the beers u owe me

I told him if he hit it once more I was going to impale him with a stump, which got him so scared that he ran himself out ;)

Probably Friday night is the go, seeing as we have approximately 0% chance of any cricket this weekend according to bom

a for effort;291001 said:
I told him if he hit it once more I was going to impale him with a stump, which got him so scared that he ran himself out ;)

Probably Friday night is the go, seeing as we have approximately 0% chance of any cricket this weekend according to bom
ahhh sounds like a friday night session this week at the petrel ants

i nevva pinned.. i went from the dog bakk to the petty with mustaq.. big session tho.. lukky crickets washed out.. wouldnt of been able to open the batting this week

just thought id let u blokes no that sam miller made 133 in the last round of the australian country championships against south australia. second most runs for vic country for the week, and on my cricket those club champion points he was like 5th for the league. which makes him a gun, and i got him out single handedly:p

Bumping this thread because tonight the side was named for the game this Sunday at Frankston. I assume we play Frankston as well.

This is the 12 if my memory serves me correctly

Chris Strods- Thomson (C)
Josh Janssen- Newcomb (VC)
Jayden Hicks- Thomson
Matt Slater- Torquay
Sam Farnsworth- St Joeys
Andrew Ross- South Barwon
Tim Wight- Geelong West
Anthony Armistead- North Geelong
Chris Hester- St Albans
Ryan Mills- Newcomb
Jono Casey- St Joeys
Lachie Inglis (i think is the name, dunno wat club)

Back