baseball pitches in cricket

Re: baseball pitches in cricket

Various baseball grips are used, but mainly for slower balls. If you think about the difference between pitching and bowling then you'll see why some things will work and others won't.

Plus the balls a little difference, both in size and in what they will actually do in the air, or rather, how much they'll do in the air.

Good swing bowlers already bowl a varation of the curveball.

You can impart backspin on a ball with an upright seam by letting the ball slide out of your hand and out of the tips of your fingers. the more it spins back like this, the later the swing.

I play indoor cricket with a baseball player - who bowls baseball variations all the time. For the most part they just produce different types of slower balls, but on occasion the ball does dip late with his "curveball" - which actually just looks like a fast top-spinner ... maybe it should be called a "top-cutter"?

To be fair though, he just pitches the ball - so 100% of the time it would be a chuck. It would still probably work with a legal action, best way to find out would be to just try it. As Ian Pont says, "experiment and exaggerate" in nets, once you know what works, then practice it until you're ready to try it in a game.

I've played around with the knuckle ball a bit myself, I've never used it in a game before or really looked at it at length, but it does act in a different way to all my other variations and for some reasons appears to be a lot faster.

Back