Bat Brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bat Brands.

upthesaints;233806 said:
Here is what I can tell you as a matter of fact.....

Matthew Hayden, Phil Jaques, Andrew Symonds and Simon Katich (even though sponsored by Kooka) all use bats made by Gray Nicolls head bat maker Stuart, can't remember he's last name but it sounds Russian. They are all made here in Melbourne.

Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin both have there bats made in the same Indian factory, as all Kooka bats and Slaz bats come from the exact same Indian factories.

Adam Gilchrist has had he's bats made for some time by Sam Miller, the Puma head bat maker and suprisingly is not very fussy about what type of sticks he gets at all.

Stuart Clark and new Gunn and Moore signee Shane Watson both use GM bats made in the UK.

When looking at bats from the different brands it is interesting to note that most bats are made in India by only 2 or 3 factories. Serin Sports are pretty much the biggest (and best regarded) factory in India. All Kooka, Slaz and Woodworm sticks are made in India. Top range (everything over $600 or so) bats from Gray Nicolls and Puma are made here in Australia but the rest are all made in India.

A piece of advise when looking at buying a new bat is to have a good look at all the bats below the top range bats at you will usually find a bat or 2 that are as good if not better than the bats priced above it.

A very very good batmaker who I can definatly recomend is Julian Millichamp and Screaming Cat, they are very nice bats! But steet clear of Robin Younan and Impala, they are rubbish!

100% correct regarding Julian Millichamp, The M&H ( Millichamp & Hall ) were taken over by Puma.

Gday all.
Yes we have master pod shapers in Australia. Lachlan Fisher of Fisherbats Melbourne, grows willow and also gets willow from England, and makes the finest blades. Julian Millichamp, of Screaming Cat, (formerly of Puma), is now at the old Crocketts farm ,in Daylesford Vic. Ian Tinnetti grows fine willow at Crocketts farm. Again, here, bats are made from willow from this farm and willow, imported from England.
I am in Sydney, where there is only a couple of bat shapers. Impala bats, by Robin Younan are popular. He has made bats for Michael Clarke and other top players. The badge swapping on bats has been going on for years, and results from a player signing a sponsorship deal with a major such as Slazenger, while having a favourite shaper who is not employed by his sponsor.
Also, a lot of bats from India, have too much "crazed grain" or not straight, causing chunks to split off the ends of the blade. This is the result of poor growing of the willow, before it even makes the factory. Also, some handles are poorly made, which cannot be seen until the grip and binding string is removed.

My name is Gerry Grimes and I make bats in Kirrawee Sydney. I have been a craftsman for 20 years and love working with willow. I use Australian grown willow and willow from England. I make my own cane handles, and put particular attention to a gradual knocking in and boning the edges.

Enjoy the cricket season.

I got my first full size professional quality bat in the summer of 1939 when a cousin of mine joined the RAF and gave me his Gunn & Moore which was a top-of-the-line treble spring Autograph model bought in the mid 1930s. It was actually too large and heavy for me, but that was secondary to owning and using a "real" cricket bat. Anyway, at that age I was more into learning how to play defensive strokes with a straight bat rather than hooking and pulling so an oversize bat was no big deal for me.

I dearly cherished that G&M oiling and rubbing it down every month. I have used Gunn & Moore bats a lot over the years partly out of brand loyalty, mostly because of their long standing reputation of high quality and excellent performance. The most popular bat makes among our crowd when I was a boy (in Northern England) were Gunn & Moore, Gray Nicholls, Warsop and Surridge.

sgb14s.JPG

Gunn and Moore bats about 70 years apart -- mid 1930s & 2006 models

James

ATM, because my other bat has no grip, I am using a cheap Indian kashmir I got off eBay :eek:

But still, shit, honestly it works a treat. FOr 50 bucks, well worth it. :thumbsu:

ANyone know any insode word about Newbery, and the Cricket Shop in Collingwood? I've been told that they too are not Genuine Newbery's?

Best bats recommended are Kookaburra Big Kahuna,Gray Nicolls Powerbow, SS ton (makes top quality brands) suitable for 20-20 games, Slazenger new pro series are also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back