Bat Grip

Chewb@cc@

Bat Grip

Hi,
I was wondering if i could have some help with my bat grip. I seem to place my hands at the very bottom of the bat which seems to make the balls pop up in the air alot. But when i block and drive it is a solid hit. It is the only grip that feels comfortable. What are some good ways to help?

Re: Bat Grip

Hi (again).

We should certainly be able to help in some way. Afraid that I'm just about to go to bed but I'll post some info up in the morning for you. I'm sure that someone else may be along in the mean time to offer some advice.

Spooning the ball up in the air is more likely to be caused by playing your shot too early than by your grip on the bat. However, one way I was taught was to place your bat on the ground with the handle pointing towards yourself, and pick it up as though you were going to hit someone over the head with it. You'll more than likely grab it somewhere halfway up the handle and your wrists will be in the correct position because it's almost impossible to pick it up any other way from that position. The bat may feel a lot heavier but it's still more preferrable than choking the handle.

Without seeing it sounds like you are chocking the bat , move your grip up the handle a little and don't grip too hard with your bottom hand . People tend to do this when they try to hit the ball too hard .
Key to this is to just use your index finger and thumb to grip the bat, you will hit the ball as hard and as many boundaries with this grip . It will take a while to get used to though .
Fact you are popping shots up suggests you have too much bottom hand in your shots and this is forcing you to get through the ball too early . Try this grip i think it will help you out .

Thank you CNCC1979, that grip helps heaps. Also you were right about the bottom hand. But most of all it is still comfortable/

CNCC1979;278739 said:
Without seeing it sounds like you are chocking the bat , move your grip up the handle a little and don't grip too hard with your bottom hand . People tend to do this when they try to hit the ball too hard .
Key to this is to just use your index finger and thumb to grip the bat, you will hit the ball as hard and as many boundaries with this grip . It will take a while to get used to though .
Fact you are popping shots up suggests you have too much bottom hand in your shots and this is forcing you to get through the ball too early . Try this grip i think it will help you out .

A good way to practice this is to get a squash ball or something and put it in the palm of your right hand - then try to bat while supporting the ball but not squashing it.

edladd;278848 said:
A good way to practice this is to get a squash ball or something and put it in the palm of your right hand - then try to bat while supporting the ball but not squashing it.

Some people also double-grip the bottom half of their handle to get the same effect

The advice given is excellent for a general idea, but it's not automatically an error to 'choke' the bat, especially if you have been doing it a while. heck, Bradman had what looke dlike a choked grip all his career and he did OK.

First I would like to know exactly when the problem is happening, what shots, what type of bowling etc.

Second I would love to see a picture of your stance from side on. Is that possible?

micoach;278905 said:
The advice given is excellent for a general idea, but it's not automatically an error to 'choke' the bat, especially if you have been doing it a while. heck, Bradman had what looke dlike a choked grip all his career and he did OK.

While i do agree with what you are saying and the Bradman comparison is right , i think we need to remember that Bradman was one out of the box and and could have batted however he wanted and still have done well .

For the average person i believe it is best to try to keep things as simple and textbook as possible ....bottom handed players who choke the bat are generally limited in shots they can and can't play and this only progressively gets harder the higher level they get too .

If this can sorted earlier the better for the player .

Thanx... Dont think i can get a pic of me side on but all the advice you have given me is great. What i mean the shots to pop up i kinda mean when i block the ball it goes higher than it should when i verse the pace bowlers. i dont really think it is from my bat grip anymore tho cause it still happens. But that is my new question "how do i stop that?"

If it's happening on a forward defense then you're probably not getting over it enough.

In this picture you can see how the bat is at the wrong angle - If the ball is hitting it at this point in the shot it can't help but go in the air. In fact it doesn't even really look like a FD, but that was the name of the picture!
istockphoto_3701471_forward_defense.jpg

This is because the bat is too far in front of the front leg (creating the infamous "gate"), and the top hand isn't dominant - it should be in front, leading the shot. Bottom hand here is pushing through too much and making the angle wrong.

Compare that to the technical model as provided on the BBC website:

_41928588_forward_def_2_416x300.gif

Head over the ball, point of contact with the bat under the eyes, angle of the bat forces the ball into the ground, back knee straight, and up on the toes of that foot.

Anyone else want to point out any features of the shot I might have missed?

CNCC1979;278958 said:
If this can sorted earlier the better for the player .

I think that is key. A good coach can identify whether the choked grip is causing issues or not. If it is, get rid of it quickly.

If not, then let them get on with it.

edladd;279249 said:
If it's happening on a forward defense then you're probably not getting over it enough.

Anyone else want to point out any features of the shot I might have missed?

Your point is right, although you can have the bat in front of the pad slightly if you prefer. Many coaches (ECB Level 2 course included) say playing a little in front of the pad encorages using the bat the play the ball rather than the pad.

However it's not cut and dried.

The gate is not how far the bat is in front of the pad but how far it is from the pad as you look at it from the bowlers perspective.

Hi David,
I have done the same by bringing the bat in front of the pads after watching Rahul Dravid on television and listening to the commentators acknowledging about bringing the bat in front of the pads.
I have found better defense in the same.
Do u think against spinners there is need to change the attempt or is it OK.

Virender

what do u mean by a choked grip, is it when the bottom hand is wrapped round the handle rather than just holding it with the index finger and thumb?

Back