Batting Drills

freddiw

Batting Drills

Good ways to practice outside of nets and by yourself

any drills that can improve technique all welcome? :cursing:

Re: Batting Drills

Jeez thats a bit of a toughy

have you read the sock cricket thread? This is it here. it should be good to help with timing and making you move your feet
other than that im not to sure of one, sorry

Nothing beats a coach I'm afraid, or at least playing in the nets.

Otherwise mirror batting helps you groove your muscle memory but it's not going to make you into the next Bradman.

Though I agree with Harrowdrive that nothing can beat actually batting, you can make your sessions slightly more drill like in order to work on particular shots or weak areas.

If you have issues with straight drives then practice those, get throwdowns or use a bowling machince. The key is to have something that you can easily replicate in a match scenario.

Other than that, the main use for batting drills is to simulate match situations, whether needing quick runs, learning to find the gaps or just learning to concentrate for long periods. However, these things are best practiced in close to match situations as possible, although there is nothing to stop you making them more intense\easier to suit.

As said the best way is to practice. Get a decent coach who can show you the shot and then practice, listen to the advice given and you won't go far wrong.

There are such things as coaching mats, which can show you where the feet should be but I'm not sure as to there actual worth, may be worth a look though.

Harrowdrive said:

Otherwise mirror batting helps you groove your muscle memory but it's not going to make you into the next Bradman.
hello sir my name is sunil playin 4 me school team in india n im an opening batsman jus tot if u cud help me wit my stance...cos i hav problem in my timing so feel its bcos of my stance...will u help me pls???can u giv ur email id so i can add u n show my stance thro webcam pls????

Welcome to simplyCricket, Sunil. If you could post a video of your stance through your web cam, I'm sure our coaches and members would be able to help you sort your problem and provide you with valuable tips.

Dunno if this would be better in a new thread called something like "Batting Practice with a partner", but here goes anyway - see what kind of a response you all give me?

If I'm practicing with a mate what kind of drills would be useful to do? At the moment he just tries to throw the ball at me/stumps at 100mph. I'm crap at batting and part of it is the fear of being hit by the ball at these speeds. Does anyone think it would be more useful if he was to slow down considerably and throw the ball in such a way that I might be able to try and practice strokes at reasonable speeds and try putting the ball into "Spaces"? Surely if we were to do this - wouldn't my confidence be built in a slower more nurturing manner - what do you reckon?

Ideally, yes, you want to be able to play the ball in order to get use to playing the strokes etc. Having someone throw a ball at you as hard they can isn't really the best way, unless you're already a handy batsman.

Practice one shot at a time until you feel with happy with it and then move on the next.

Harrowdrive said:

I don't know if I've said this before - but batting a rigid plastic ball up against a wall works well if you can get one with the right amount of bounce. I use a small one to make it even harder. The thing I find useful is that in order to get the ball bouncing back at you is that you've got to get your head over the top of it and this means moving your feet loads - I reckon it's useful from that point of view and it keeps you fit and on your toes.

But as the quote says above - someone coaching you is the way forward. I can't get to our nets much because of my job, but I went along last night. I am absolutely useless when it comes to batting and my captain pulled me out of the nets and took me aside and showed me how to do the front foot drive. I've watched videos and all sorts and I think because he's 25 years my junior and he was going through routines that he'd been doing with little kids an hour earlier he kind of felt awkward about it, but he was fantastic and I'll readily say "Show me what you show the little kids - if it's basic - I'll have some of it because I'm a learner". Within a matter of minutes I'd got it and I could not believe how dramatic the difference was and how affective the stroke is. I can't wait to get out there in the field or get in the nets next week and see how it goes!

Someone told me one once, you start with a tennis ball and a cricket stump but use the stump as your bat (or one of those practice middle bat things that're really thin) and either get someone to throw the tennis ball at you (not too fast) or throw it against a wall and practice connecting with it well with the stump - the idea is when you pick up a bat again you find it much easier to hit the middle. I haven't tried it but i guess it can't do much harm. If you're regularly hitting the tennis ball well move onto something like a golf ball.

Someone told me one once, you start with a tennis ball and a cricket stump but use the stump as your bat (or one of those practice middle bat things that're really thin) and either get someone to throw the tennis ball at you (not too fast) or throw it against a wall and practice connecting with it well with the stump - the idea is when you pick up a bat again you find it much easier to hit the middle. I haven't tried it but i guess it can't do much harm. If you're regularly hitting the tennis ball well move onto something like a golf ball.

I'm doing this more these days and it seems to be helping, I'm still batting at 10 or 11, ten more often these days, but a couple of weeks ago at our clubs pre-season nets the bowlers couldn't get me out and it took them ages to find a way. But the Bradman technique of hitting the ball against the wall and keeping it going does seem to transfer to what you do in a game, does anyone else do this and do you reckon it helps?

I'm doing this more these days and it seems to be helping, I'm still batting at 10 or 11, ten more often these days, but a couple of weeks ago at our clubs pre-season nets the bowlers couldn't get me out and it took them ages to find a way. But the Bradman technique of hitting the ball against the wall and keeping it going does seem to transfer to what you do in a game, does anyone else do this and do you reckon it helps?

I spent hours every day when I was a kid hurling a golf ball against a brick wall and trying to play it with a small bat. I imagined i was Atherton fending off Donald and Pollock and kept going til I got to 100. Got hit in the face plenty of times when the ball flew up off a loose bit of tarmac.

Can you imagine a kid doing that nowadays?

Batting is quite simple really, too many years of coaches overcomplicating things have made it sound like a mystery. Get your head into line and bring the bat down straight. The rest is just window dressing.

I liken it to keepy-up. How many times can you play a straight ball straight back into the V without missing it, nicking it or hitting it in the air? 10? 50? 100? indefinitely?

I spent hours every day when I was a kid hurling a golf ball against a brick wall and trying to play it with a small bat. I imagined i was Atherton fending off Donald and Pollock and kept going til I got to 100. Got hit in the face plenty of times when the ball flew up off a loose bit of tarmac.

Can you imagine a kid doing that nowadays?

Batting is quite simple really, too many years of coaches overcomplicating things have made it sound like a mystery. Get your head into line and bring the bat down straight. The rest is just window dressing.

I liken it to keepy-up. How many times can you play a straight ball straight back into the V without missing it, nicking it or hitting it in the air? 10? 50? 100? indefinitely?

Nice one SLA! I'm on it, can't see me ever getting to the point where I'd be able to do it with a golf and besides the walls I've got to do it against are limited and have uneven paving slabs beneath them, but I'll keep at it with other balls though. Good enough for you and Bradman... Good enough for me!

Nice one SLA! I'm on it, can't see me ever getting to the point where I'd be able to do it with a golf and besides the walls I've got to do it against are limited and have uneven paving slabs beneath them, but I'll keep at it with other balls though. Good enough for you and Bradman... Good enough for me!

Does your club do bowling machine nets? We always do them between November and Christmas, it gives you the chance to forget about scoring runs and just work on the technique of one shot at a time. Failing that, get someone who knows a bit about batting to give you some throwdowns.

Does your club do bowling machine nets? We always do them between November and Christmas, it gives you the chance to forget about scoring runs and just work on the technique of one shot at a time. Failing that, get someone who knows a bit about batting to give you some throwdowns.

No gawd bless yer! No, the nearest thing I get to that would be watching some of the better batsmen training my son and then me asking them questions on his behalf as such. I think such privileges are only reserved for the first and second XI's, a forth team player such as I would nevr get such an opportunity or it would be exceptionally rare. On the odd ocassion one of the better blokes my have a word with you briefly, if he was umpiring and had been watching me batting, but, certainly nothing as formal as you've suggested.

No gawd bless yer! No, the nearest thing I get to that would be watching some of the better batsmen training my son and then me asking them questions on his behalf as such. I think such privileges are only reserved for the first and second XI's, a forth team player such as I would nevr get such an opportunity or it would be exceptionally rare. On the odd ocassion one of the better blokes my have a word with you briefly, if he was umpiring and had been watching me batting, but, certainly nothing as formal as you've suggested.

I suppose this is one of the main disadvantages of being in such a large club. I've played in clubs with 1 saturday team, 2 saturday teams and 3 saturday teams and the fewer teams, the better the general atmosphere and the more attention paid to player development and club social life. Less is more is my experience. Its the same in any sport: small clubs look after their players better.

Back