Batting

jimmy33

Batting

Wasn't too sure where this should go, but i think it is more technique than muscular so i put it here.

My coach said that i should start playing my drives with a lot more force, so i can beat the infield. But i don't want to lose my timing and all that. Do any of you have some suggestions of how i can do this. Is it a matter of trying to hit the ball hard, or is there any other tips you can provide. And i don't want to be trying to hit it hard and play to early and spoon it to a fielder. I truely am in a bit of a pickle, any tips or suggestions will be well appreciated

Re: Batting

you can try the drives in the nets.you have to time the ball well but if you don't hit it with force then it would go only till the covers.I think that you should try it as hard as you can.you should first hit it with a little force then as you go on you can hit it with more force and don't forget the timing!!!!!!!!!!

If your timing is fine, then rather than trying to hit the ball harder and thus increasing the risk of losing technique through the shot, maybe look at improving placement?

Get 4 or so balls, all different colours. Then get 4 different pairs of cones, using the same 4 colours.

Then lay the cones out in different positions. Then, get someone to under arm feed you the balls, with you hitting the coloured ball between the relevant cones.

Another tip - maybe look to get your whole bodyweight through the ball more.

kallis fan said:
Another tip - maybe look to get your whole bodyweight through the ball more.

a big problem is not moving your weight forward enough... i have always been told when driving your head should be inline with your front knee or just infront of it (making sure u still have perfect balance)...

also how long is your stride forward??? sometimes if a batsmen takes a very large stride forward the power in the shot will decrease...

i dont agree with hitting the ball as hard as u possibly can, as u then run the risk of taking your eye of the ball early or playing with 2 much bottom hand and lofting it....

hope this helps.... :)

Liz, what he said was that i have the defensive shot down pat, but i just need to hit the ball harder.

Kallis Fan, i do time it quite well but it never reaches the right velocity for placement to come into play

Aussie Boy, i have been told that i have really good technique in regards to the whole weight transfer and my stride isnt that long, about average i would say. And thats exactly how i feel in regards to spooning the ball, im a bit apprehensive about trying it

yeah... for now i wouldnt try and bring "hitting the ball harder" into your game at the crease... but in the nets try taking the power up a notch.. i still dnt believe you have to hit it with 100% power for a boundary.. but maybe hitting with say 20% more then now will suffice..

quick q.. how high is your follow through when driving???

i think you've asked me this, but its quite high, around head height. ive been trying to hit the ball slightly harder using my match bat on the eye-in and the timing hasnt changed much. i can pierce the inner circle with my cut and im good at playing all the nudges and glides, but its my drives that i want to be able to score more runs off

hmmm maybe this is something your are goin 2 have 2 sort out with your coach... ask him if there are ways to b able to hit forcefully without having to use 100% of your power.... do u middle these shots???

Oh my bad, when im in the nets they come off the bat quite nicely and go quite quickly, but out in the middle i time them quite well but they just sort of trickle away with out any sort of convincing speed

hmmmm i dnt seem 2 have this problem in a game... not straight driving anymore anyway... happens sometimes when coverdriving....

it can be a number of things... sometimes trying 2 hit it 2 hard (when your eyes light up) can cause a miss hit (not middled).... ive found that my weight transfer was causing my problem... i have to get my heas over my front knee in order to straight drive successfully...

a video would help heaps..

Yes i will try to get a video, but it wont be for a while, and trust me i dont try to hit it to hard, if anything i try to hit it too soft. Im just gonna try hitting the ball slightly harder on the weekend, see how that works out for me

Back