BCCI blames FTP for reduction in England Tests

mas cambios

BCCI blames FTP for reduction in England Tests

India are blaming the Future Tours Program (FTP) for snipping one Test off England's visit in November-December later this year. England were originally scheduled to play three Tests and seven one-day internationals.

Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary, told Cricinfo the board had no other option but to reduce one Test from the England series to accommodate various commitments the team needs to oblige under the FTP. "What can we do?" Shah asked. "Because of the FTP we need to squeeze other events too."

From Cricinfo

This sort of thing gets my goat as it has nothing to do with the FTP (future tours program) but everything to do with money. They won't cut any of the 7 ODI (4 too many in my opinion) but will happily sacrifice a test match. Why? Because they know they'll make more money from the 50 over games.

Why can't they just be honest and tell us the real reasons from now on, no-one is under any illusions about where certain international boards priorities lie. Stuff the game, lets all make a quick buck while the corpse is still twitching.

Re: BCCI blames FTP for reduction in England Tests

Foolishness!!! India Vs England is a great series, always is. ODIs are worthless, I'd much rather another Test than two (or four) of the seven ODIs. You talk about the BCCI wanting to make money, but I am not sure that it is the motive. With the money that IPL has brought in, the sort of money from a few ODIs is peanuts.

that is not good news, i dont know the real reason behins it but i would rather wathc test cricket over one day any day

manee said:
Foolishness!!! India Vs England is a great series, always is. ODIs are worthless, I'd much rather another Test than two (or four) of the seven ODIs. You talk about the BCCI wanting to make money, but I am not sure that it is the motive. With the money that IPL has brought in, the sort of money from a few ODIs is peanuts.

It's more than just the money from the OD games though, its the fact that on the balance of things they chose to drop the least profitable option, which is test matches.

Despite the apparent riches from the IPL, the BCCI will still seek to maximise their income in anyway possible and often to the detriment of the game. Just because they have a few billion in the bank, doesn't mean they don't fancy a few more.

Its all about the money. What else could be the reason for canceling a Test match in favour of a couple of ODI matches?
BCCI is rich, no doubt about that, but that doesn't mean they don't want to get richer.

Almost_Austwick said:
It's more than just the money from the OD games though, its the fact that on the balance of things they chose to drop the least profitable option, which is test matches.

Despite the apparent riches from the IPL, the BCCI will still seek to maximise their income in anyway possible and often to the detriment of the game. Just because they have a few billion in the bank, doesn't mean they don't fancy a few more.

You could be right in terms of the shift of sentiment, but here is the massive proportion of the IPL earnings which I believe, should make earning money off ODIs or T20s, negligable...

"BCCI is in the process of overtaking England's ECB as the richest national cricket board, with an income of Rs 650 crore for 2006/07, compared to the ECB's income of £77 million in 2006 (Rs 665 crore at the 31 December 2006 exchange rate):" Credit wikipedia.

In total, they have/will earned:
- £365 million from the IPL's team contracts over 10 years;
- £25 million from DLF as official sponsor (DLF IPL) over 5 years
- £11 million from Hero Honda as associate sponer over 5 years
- £6 million from Pepsi as official drink (shared among franchises) over 5 years
- £13 million from Kingfisher Airlines as umpire partner over 5 years

40% of the latter four go to the IPL which is £22 million to the IPL + £365 mil = £387 million which is over five times their 2006/7 earnings.

EDIT: Just read the article and it would seem that the BCCI have been boxed in by England's wish to spend Christmas at home. Staggering the Test series over a break is highly unorthodox and it does make the most sense logistically to cut off the third Test - even though it does not look particularly good on paper.

I don't think BCCI thinks that way. They have made a lot of money recently, but those contracts are for over a period of 5 years so they wont be making the same kind of money until the contracts expire. They will be getting certain percentage of the earnings from the IPL matches, sponsors but that is dependent on its success.
Even if BCCI doesn't mind losing out on the earnings from a few ODI's, they wouldn't want to cancel a few ODI matches in favour of a Test match because it would have made the sponsors and the broadcaster unhappy.

I always hate 7 ODI series. Its too long and the same teams playing again and again gets boring. When India used to play 5 ODI series it was much better. I would prefer to watch 3 or 4 match test series rather than 7 ODIs

Back